HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
will have to start with the ground test anyways, don't need an airplane, just rx and servos.

can you take a close up picture of the board? in particular, can you indicate which direction is upright for the lettering on the mpu6050? this would help establish orientation of the sensor relative to the arrow on the board.
Looks like the MPU6050 lettering is in the same direction as the arrow.
Adilson is online now Find More Posts by Adilson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:45 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,426 Posts
right guys,
I'm out of bed, had a BBQ, burned most of the meat (not so happy about that), had a few beers recharged my batteries, lipo batteries charged, aircrafts ready. I'm going flying either Saturday or Sunday kids permitting.
I've got the 20130417_RX3S_V2 build installed on the gyro. ground test seemed fine at 11ms framerate. is this still ok to fly on 11ms or shall I change to 22ms?
noobee do you have anything newer to try?
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
ok

i've created a branch for the HK MultiWii SE 2.0 board (HK_MWSE_20). it's really a mix between the rx3s and my nano_mpu6050 setup.

the commit notes (showing the rx and servo connections) are at
https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab...24daf240f6ad91

the code is at
https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab/tree/hk_mwse_20

you need to use stick config to set up the wing mode and axis gain/direction

it's only partially tested on my testbed (so please limit to ground testing), but i'd like to hear if you have any feedback. cppm should work too, but please be careful about any throttle connection.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adilson View Post
Looks like the MPU6050 lettering is in the same direction as the arrow.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
i did another test flight today.

if i reduced the rate correction to be half of what it is in att_hold mode, then there's alot less oscillations when i crank up the gain (expected).

i also tried to tune the att_hold pid parameters (reduce P and I factors by half) and remove the rate correction. inconclusive as motor finally gave out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
right guys,
I'm out of bed, had a BBQ, burned most of the meat (not so happy about that), had a few beers recharged my batteries, lipo batteries charged, aircrafts ready. I'm going flying either Saturday or Sunday kids permitting.
I've got the 20130417_RX3S_V2 build installed on the gyro. ground test seemed fine at 11ms framerate. is this still ok to fly on 11ms or shall I change to 22ms?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
i did another test flight today.

if i reduced the rate correction to be half of what it is in att_hold mode, then there's alot less oscillations when i crank up the gain (expected).

i also tried to tune the att_hold pid parameters (reduce P and I factors by half) and remove the rate correction. inconclusive as motor finally gave out.
Bugger mate... Well at least you can get another motor with more torque. In my mx2 I have an sk3 1185kv coupled with a 10x5 prop. This gives me loads of thrust max current 46A (motor is rated up to 50A) and used a turnigy brain 60A esc.

Do you want to post up your last build/try and will try to fly that early next week?
Last edited by ckleanth; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:10 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
doh, forgot about AILR_IN..

remapped the rx input a little: https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab...e7511fe33dd16c

the updated mapping is:

HK MultiWii SE 2.0 support

Pin Mapping:
D2 = AUX_IN
D4 = AIL_IN
D5 = ELE_IN
D6 = RUD_IN
D7 = AILR_IN
D8 = AUX2_IN

D9 = AIL_OUT
D10 = ELE_OUT
D11 = RUD_OUT
D12 = AILR_OUT

If CPPM enabled :
D8 CPPM_IN
D5 FLAP_OUT
D6_THR_OUT (please conduct safety check on any THROTTLE connection!!)

one more thing:

shorting D3 and D12 and powering up will reset your EEPROM to "factory defaults".

Quote:
ok

i've created a branch for the HK MultiWii SE 2.0 board (HK_MWSE_20). it's really a mix between the rx3s and my nano_mpu6050 setup.

the code is at

it's only partially tested on my testbed (so please limit to ground testing), but i'd like to hear if you have any feedback. cppm should work too, but please be careful about any throttle connection.

thanks
Last edited by noobee; Apr 20, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
yes, i'll work on the 3-zone rate-off-hold setting and retune the ratio of rate vs hold in the hold mode for the next update.

thanks

Quote:
Bugger mate... Well at least you can get another motor with more torque. In my mx2 I have an sk3 1185kv coupled with a 10x5 prop. This gives me loads of thrust max current 46A (motor is rated up to 50A) and used a turnigy brain 60A esc.

Do you want to post up your last build/try and will try to fly that early next week?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
right guys,
Happy to hear that!

I did not notice any strange behavior when running at 11ms, however it could result in some servo jitter because of input channels changing states at the same time and overlapping some of the output pulses. The firmware can only process things serially so one can get delayed causing a slightly incorrect measurement. When you operate at 22ms these conflicts are avoided.

Only the Aileron, Elevator and AUX1 (the other aileron channel with your setup) channels run at 11ms in AERO mode. The rudder is still running at 22ms.

I would run at 22ms only because I am not a good enough pilot to benefit from the 11ms rate.

Don't use the mixes I E-mailed to you. They are only for the proposed combining of gain and ATT Hold on the same channel which noobee has not implemented yet.

Have some good flights and let us know how it goes.

John
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:07 AM
chiba, Japan
Joined May 2004
64 Posts
hi

Dynamic soaring was tried on the glider which carries FlightStab.
I desire this.:-)
Only an aileron is set up and the gain is turned ON by order 2:00.

Thank you, noobee!

yasさんフライングフィッシュ (5 min 36 sec)
Yashiro is offline Find More Posts by Yashiro
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
ok

attached hex file in zip for v2.

can some one try it out? (ground test only please)

4 short led flashes for rate mode
5 short led flashes for hold mode
dip switch ignored.

thanks

Quote:
yes, i'll work on the 3-zone rate-off-hold setting and retune the ratio of rate vs hold in the hold mode for the next update.

thanks
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:13 PM
chicken nuggets
Joined Aug 2011
223 Posts
Will have a try tonight. Have a new V2 unit to flash.
HeliHaven is offline Find More Posts by HeliHaven
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
ok

attached hex file in zip for v2.

can some one try it out? (ground test only please)

4 short led flashes for rate mode
5 short led flashes for hold mode
dip switch ignored.

thanks
Yes, this seems to work. The only thing I notice, which is not a bug, is if you switch into a new mode and gain is still at zero (center pulse width) nothing happens. When the gain is increased slightly then the LED for the new mode blinks.

I made some mixes for ckleanth to use with his DX8. The problem is that the DX8 only has one knob so it must be used for both gains. The modes are controlled by the Flight Mode Switch.

Mode 0 forces the TX to transmit a 1500us pulse for the Stabilization Off.

Mode 1 only allows pulses narrower than 1500us on the stabilization On/Off channel. If the knob is set to above 1500us, it is forced to 1500us.

Mode 2 only allows pulses wider than 1500us on the stabilization On/Off channel. If the knob is set to below 1500us, it is forced to 1500us.

Does this firmware also include the updated PID values?

John
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:57 PM
Discovering the joys of flying
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2012
801 Posts
Quote:
ok

the code is at

thanks
Unfortunately this will have to wait a bit as a friend crashed my Beaver and now I have no airplanes available as I sent it to repair.
As soon as I get it back (hopefully by the end of the week), I'll give it a try.
Adilson is online now Find More Posts by Adilson
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
yes, the no LED updates was a result of my interpretation of ablack's RATE-OFF-HOLD range. 1475-1525 meant the stabilizer was "off".

i've since updated the code again and checked it in this time. the files are at https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab/tree/master/Builds and commit notes are at https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab...ab1610d196f2ec , which i have pasted below:

updated 3-region RATE-OFF-HOLD to 2-region RATE-HOLD.

after calibration, 4 SHORT (200ms on/off) LED flashes == HOLD mode, otherwise == RATE mode.

to calibrate the tx for 1500us, apply subtrim to aux1 (with 3P switch in middle position) until at the edge of 4 flashes and no flashes, that is effectively zero stabilization.

aux1 channel pulse width:
1100us-1500us ==> 100%-0% RATE mode
1500us-1900us ==> 0%-100% HOLD mode

in RATE mode, all HOLD correction is reduced to zero
in HOLD mode, all RATE correction is reduced by 50%

eg. if 100% RATE mode = R correction, then 100% HOLD mode = (H + R/2) correction.

so, it's now 2 regions rather than 3 (no more "OFF"), since in the middle, it does not really matter if it is in RATE or HOLD, the master gain is so small anyways. what's important is to be able to tell where is that crossover point. we use the LEDs for that, if aux1 >= 1500us, there will be 4 short flashes.

if you have a 3P switch, i think it's better to set the middle position to be 1500us, then up position to be 1100-1500 and down position to be 1500-1900. whether it is a fixed value or controlled by a knob depends on the user.

if you have a knob with a center detent, then use the LED method to calibrate the output at the detent position, so turning one way == more RATE gain, turning the other way = more HOLD gain.

so, i think there are several ways to implement RATE/HOLD control through the aux1 channel on the tx.

update1. i've also cleaned up the hex files (too many BETAs) updated the manual at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...C7HSnXEutw/pub

update2. added a pic from the updated manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
Yes, this seems to work. The only thing I notice, which is not a bug, is if you switch into a new mode and gain is still at zero (center pulse width) nothing happens. When the gain is increased slightly then the LED for the new mode blinks.

I made some mixes for ckleanth to use with his DX8. The problem is that the DX8 only has one knob so it must be used for both gains. The modes are controlled by the Flight Mode Switch.

Mode 0 forces the TX to transmit a 1500us pulse for the Stabilization Off.

Mode 1 only allows pulses narrower than 1500us on the stabilization On/Off channel. If the knob is set to above 1500us, it is forced to 1500us.

Mode 2 only allows pulses wider than 1500us on the stabilization On/Off channel. If the knob is set to below 1500us, it is forced to 1500us.

Does this firmware also include the updated PID values?

John
Last edited by noobee; Apr 21, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,426 Posts
@ John got your emails mate thanks for the dx8 setups and programing tips.

Went out flying to test the previous build. All was well when gain was well zero.
In the ground everything seemed ok. This time I took off with some master gain dialed in. The aircraft behaved ok but didn't try something fancy. Stupid of me I decided to increase gain. Basically again all control surfaces shift centre, I tried to move sticks for the control surfaces to go back to centre, I'm now nose diving, that's no good. With one hand on stick the other I'm franticly trying to find the knob to switch this thing off... Did I managed? Well no.. I finished repairs but I'm annoyed now... Prior gyro I can't remember the last tine I crashed or broken a prop..

why on my stupid dx8 every single time, I'm in the air and I increase the gain the servo shift centre point?

I hate this gyro but I'm not giving up...