Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jjmelo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Aug 2012
375 Posts
Discussion
Ordered the new Turnigy 9XR!!

So, my girlfriend wanted to buy me RC stuff for xmas and I was browsing the Hobbyking site and I saw that they finally released the new Turnigy 9XR radio. Took the plunge and ordered it, along with a battery and a Frysky module/receiver.

The radio is a good deal, its basically a custom 9R with the programming port and backlight already installed, for $50. Add your own battery, TX module and you're set. I also got a FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR-II RX, which will go on my medium-range stuff, and I'll use my OrangeRX 433 RX and TX module for the long range stuff, provided it works well.

Can't wait for the mailman to arrive with the stuff, which will probably happen in 2-4 weeks, and start tinkering with my new radio equipment.

By the way, I love my Spektrum DX8 and Horizon Hobby's support. The pot that controlled my aileron channel was all kinds of trippy. I sent my radio over, they changed all the gimbals, replaced a bad capacitor, all for free and in exactly 1 week. I'll keep using my DX8 for my micros and short range stuff, and I'll use the new Turnigy 9XR for the medium to long range stuff, and for general tinkering.
jjmelo is online now Find More Posts by jjmelo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Good luck. I generally avoid pulling the trigger on new items from HK, and glad I did - look at what happened with the OrangeRx module.

I was thinking about getting one vs. a JR 9303XP (Module-Based) but I'm going to wait for some opinions from people that ordered these. I'll watch for your review :P
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:46 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Yeah

Release was for the US market for sure ! [ Damn HK ]

Was up till 1.30am , went to sleep , got up 7.30am to check and the 9XR had come and gone .. And no module ? Whats with that ?

Oh well , looks like maybe a 6 month wait before HK starts releasing at times that folk not in the USA are awake ....

At least thats how long I had to wait for the 9x .. Always released for US buyers !
[ World Clock ] So looks like another wait ..
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Our Work Is Never Over
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2012
322 Posts
Good luck will listen to your review, I just picked up a no mod Turnigy 9X myself with frsky mod the old 9x version took about 3 weeks to show up and its defective. when the throttle is put past 50% the rudder randomly lock left full totally crashed one of my quad cause of radio.
In process of getting hobby-king to replace it, first email they got me to do the stick calibration on the 9x with no luck.
So i am going to be worried about this band for radios. My first exp is not a good one. I FPV quads glad this radio screwed up right away while I was low to the ground.

Turnigy 9x faulty (1 min 13 sec)
Blusky1 is offline Find More Posts by Blusky1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
Our Work Is Never Over
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2012
322 Posts
Now I know what has happened.
Turnigy 9x Faulty Update (2 min 12 sec)

1. This radio was modified by hobby king you removed the Module and desoldered the antenna and replaced it with a rubber cap.
2. When hobby king desoldered the antenna hobby king drop the solder bead on to the rudder pot connections. As show in my video with a glob of solder on it. This caused the radio to randomly lock the rudder.
3. I fixed hobby king mistake and no I am not paying shipping for what you screwed up. In the future I will not buy anymore radios hobby king has modified.

I amend all comments in this video blaming Turngiy was not at fault
Hobby king was 100% at fault for dropping the blob of solder when disordering the antenna.
I will not trust anymore modified electronics from hobbyking.
Blusky1 is offline Find More Posts by Blusky1
RCG Plus Member