HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Yup! I use GWS floats as they are as big enough to get around on snow( which we have none) and winter grass...make a good alternate flyer when I can get out to the asphalt...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
Hmm, I guess that works huh. Just cant steer probably but thats not a big issue. Probably easier to take off straight and let it slide in on landings.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
If you keep up speed on landing, the plane will steer. It's handy when I can't get out to the field. I grow tired of only having the option of my FC for this neighborhood grab and go planes. This gives me something else to mess around with...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
interesting thread

Surprised no plugs for horizon hobby (dx6i vendor) They havbe several choise as well, plus parts, and service backup. Also love you can get manuals on it all (downside to nitroplanes and some others) plus a couple of local hobby shops carry their full line, so if i break a part, no mail order wait.
Want to point out down side to the dx6 (no i) no ready for the new-stuff (dsm2 dmx) like all the BNF
I am looking at the stratos or champ as first choice, because when not sure, dead throttle and dead stick, then plane straight glides to ground
billfusion is offline Find More Posts by billfusion
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:13 PM
Australia, TAS, Thirlstane
Joined May 2012
165 Posts
Hi Guys. Does anyone know where I can get 1, or more, Version 1 cowlings from?
condor12 is online now Find More Posts by condor12
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:50 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
Added 6 more successful flights. I try to get in multiple landings on each battery. I use RC Flight Timer as an app to track flights. Average was around 4min per flight. I did do one long flight to see how long I could go on one battery. It was a bit over 13 minutes! I was suprised but I havent been using much throttle. Just cruising along getting practice.

The final flight (for a reason) ended with a 180 turn to ready for landing that was too slow and it stalled and nosed. I was only about 30 ft in the air and could not get out of it. As I have mentioned in the other Cessna 182 thread, due to some CG and a heavy tail slow turns, and slow in general, is not good. Especially at low altitude. With the nose the firewall moved a bit but did not break. Probably due to all the epoxy from the previous two crashes. The front gear bent, but the Durbo wheels and gear got in the next day so I'll get that swaped over. Main issue was the prop busted again..... good thing ordered a couple.

Took a snap at a new field I used. Around 400x300 yards of football and soccer, wont be ideal normally but no one was there so tried it. The grass was short and nice for landings.

Also, on an earlier order I added this gear controller. Im going to use it for flaps. Can control the speed and the throw. It would of been nice to try but my two flap servos came and one was with the wrong horn. Wasnt even close to fiting (wrong size and spine). Plus, I ordered reg and reversed, BUT you only need two of the same.... I didnt notice till installing. So I'll have to get one more regular. I did try the contoller, it makes the flap come down nice and slow.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Try using rudder if you tail is hanging in turns...usually rudder trim does it more in one direction more than the other. Nice thing about using rudder more is you'll be adding opposite aileron to balance the plane... Kinda takes care of stalling
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:36 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
Yeah, will have to practice more rudder.

Almost got the Durbo wheels done. I went with the 5/32 size, and I should of done 3/32 to make it fit. But with some light modification it will still work. It will be a strong nose gear when done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:00 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
A couple updates

1) got the new gear on, posted pics in the airfield sky trainer thread. Working well on the thick grass I land on.

2) picked up some 3s 3000mah 20c. Only fitted them in to see and they fit perfect. Yes much snugger then the 2200mah. But the size is great, cant wait to use them. So now I'll have 2-2200mah and 2-3000mah in my arsenal.

With the new gear I got about 10 more successful flights in this last weekend. I still havent activated the flaps yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:36 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
Finally caught a calm warm day to head to the field and fly with all 4 lipos now. The 3000mah work great, long flight times and the added weight helps. With 4 packs had about 9 flights. Of course the 9th was the last for a reason.

I wanted to test stall speeds and I thought I had enough elevation. NOPE. Stalled into a spiral dive and I couldnt recover. Broke prop and firewall. The foam around the firewall barely broke away. I guess all the epoxy from previous crashes held up well. BH actually has props in stock so ordered a few. Otherwise the rest can be fixed pretty easilly.

I did practice almost all turns with rudder help. It helps keep the turn smooth without loss of altitude. After almost double-digit takeoffs/landings I was feeling pretty good. Of course I had to try something dumb and bring it home broke, again.

Another lesson to the book. Im sure these lessons would of been learned easier with an instructor. But since getting back into the hobby and buying my first actual plane, I've been self taught.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
look into 2 blade props. they are a little more efficient. That big battery doen't really extend flight time much. I do that with my 2200's
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:50 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
What size 2-blade would be a good recommendation?

And the 3000mah went for 13 minutes before I landed. I havent checked to see how much was left in it yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I gotcha, didn't think of that...I'd guess an 11x7 or so.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:11 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Just found this thread...I have been wanting another Cessna 182 (My Gold Edition Top Flight version died a tragic and early death when I inexplicably exhausted a battery and tip stalled her into Mother Earth trying frantically to get her back to me). I do design work for FMS so I was thinking about getting this foam version. I love scale planes and I tend to fly my planes scale. I thought this plane had flaps?

Is this the latest FMS Cessna 182 or an older version? I see the nose gear is terribly inadequate. That's a concern since I fly a lot on grass but I do have a school parking lot that is available to me on most weekends. Thanks in advance for any comments!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:51 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
It's the latest version 2. It comes in flap and non flap versions. I'll be adding flaps soon.

The Durbo wheel mod is a must for using grass. Here is some pics on another thread that I posted:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...83806&page=251

You can go witht the 3/32 size with 3 inch wheels. I accidently bought the 5/32, which is beefier but I had to do some modifing for it to work. But either way, then you can taxi around on grass easily and take offs and landings are MUCH better.
RCG Plus Member