HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,265 Posts
I'll head to the LHS to see if they got something to modify the front gear since I wont be landing on asphalt very often. Anyone know of a gear that will fit easily?
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:54 AM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
it looks like there's just a sleeve with a set screw to hold the wire NLG in place...
bring that with you to the LHS...(the wire with the wheel pant/ nose wheel)
you may be able to just get an appropriate diameter piece of wire and bend a new one
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:23 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
If you want to fly from grass, lose the wheel pants and install bigger wheels.

2.5 inch front and 3 inch mains should work, won't be pretty though.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:27 AM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
A three channel plane rolls just like a 4 channel plane.

Really? Do a barrel roll with a Super Cub and get back to me on that.
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:01 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,265 Posts
6th flight.......................

Guy had a dog unleashed and it ran out in the field and caught my eye. When I looked back up plane was right in the sun couldnt see squat. Looked away due to the blindness and when I looked back the plane was heading low and to a tree. I manuvered the tree and thought I was in the clear but no. The throttle was low from the beginning and I must of lowered it with the panic. ??? Clipped a park bench . The good news is only the front had damage, the wing was untouched and all control surfaces.

So I'll need to replace: motor mount plate, front cowling, spinner, prop, and rudder servo (gears stripped). Some how the motor shaft still spins true.

I might add flaps while Im working on it, and address the landing gear issue. The gear didnt break, but I'll take it apart and at least bend it back straight. Was bummed just because there was nothing I could do really. But crap happens.... I knew it probably would. At least it wasnt the first flight.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
958 Posts
That doesn't look too bad!

If you ain't crashin', you ain't flyin'!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post

Guy had a dog unleashed and it ran out in the field and caught my eye. When I looked back up plane was right in the sun couldnt see squat. Looked away due to the blindness and when I looked back the plane was heading low and to a tree. I manuvered the tree and thought I was in the clear but no. The throttle was low from the beginning and I must of lowered it with the panic. ??? Clipped a park bench . The good news is only the front had damage, the wing was untouched and all control surfaces.

So I'll need to replace: motor mount plate, front cowling, spinner, prop, and rudder servo (gears stripped). Some how the motor shaft still spins true.

I might add flaps while Im working on it, and address the landing gear issue. The gear didnt break, but I'll take it apart and at least bend it back straight. Was bummed just because there was nothing I could do really. But crap happens.... I knew it probably would. At least it wasnt the first flight.
You posted at my Blog indicating that you had issues so, I came here and all I am seeing is an ill fated selection of Flying Site and taking off and landing on rutty dry grass. It has been posted by many and including myself a few pages ago at the other discussion thread...perhaps several months ago that this model was really designed for Smooth Hard Surface. (Assuming leaving it with Stock Gear)

This is the reason I go where no one will be walking their dang DOG or whatever, especially trying to deal with a new model and get used to the flight characteristics, adjustments etc....

Videos are okay but, for someone new to the hobby it would have been best IMO to get experienced assistance with someone with more experience in trimming and adjustments so, you can really dial in the model.

Unnecessary stresses such as Video footage recordings and most especially the flying site would need to be given future thoughts.

Hope for the best in your future dealings with this model.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:27 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
That doesn't look too bad!
If you ain't crashin', you ain't flyin'!
No, it wasnt. If I had an extra spinner and prop it would of been fixed that day and back in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Videos are okay but, for someone new to the hobby it would have been best IMO to get experienced assistance with someone with more experience in trimming and adjustments so, you can really dial in the model.

Unnecessary stresses such as Video footage recordings and most especially the flying site would need to be given future thoughts.

Hope for the best in your future dealings with this model.
Thanks for your oppinion I guess.....

I could go to different sites, but with getting the plane and getting it built in JANUARY I had limited time, daylight, and weather. It was either go home and fly it in a park thats close, or wait for a couple weeks due to sub zero temps and wind.... I flew it, flew it again, and crashed. BIG deal. Since the weather is crappy I dont mind waiting on a few parts. Crash set me back less then $20.

The park will not be ideal when it is warmer out, I know that. I have a few options that I will explore when that time comes. But for now, going 3 blocks from the house will work. I'm not someone that will wait 2 months to pull the kit out of the box to build it, spend another 3 weeks looking at it, spending an afternoon "testing", then in 1-2 more weeks maiden'ing it. LOL. You do see that this entire thread is 22 days old from today???? Order, build, fly - thats me. If it was a $300+ plane maybe it would be different. I'd rather get "real" experience, and learn even more with a few mistakes, any day.

I was asked by several for video, thats why I dragged my wife out to do it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:33 AM
Joined Sep 2012
958 Posts
I'm not someone that will wait 2 months to pull the kit out of the box to build it, spend another 3 weeks looking at it, spending an afternoon "testing", then in 1-2 more weeks maiden'ing it.

Me neither. In fact, I crashed one, fixed it the same day, and decided it would be smart to test it out in the street in front of my house instead of the ball field one minute from me. Lack of patience and a little depth perception problem plus one small tree equaled back to the work bench for the afternoon......

Oh well, good thing I like building as much as flying.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:15 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
No, it is a good thing these are made out of EPO, otherwise if made from Balsa and Light Plywood it would have been in the Round File a Long Time ago!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:29 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
Really? Do a barrel roll with a Super Cub and get back to me on that.
I can roll my Slow Stick just fine, including a roll on a vertical line. The Parkzone Radian rolls even better, performing beautiful axial rolls. I'm not sure whether a Super Cub can do the same thing, but likely it can.

Lots of guys who haven't flown 3-channel or it's been a long time since they have don't know that a 3-channel plane can do most of the maneuvers a 4-channel plane can.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:38 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post

Guy had a dog unleashed and it ran out in the field and caught my eye. When I looked back up plane was right in the sun couldnt see squat.
Isn't putting that blasted sun there against park policy? Yeah, I've had a couple of scary times with the sun but was lucky enough to be at altitude with a sailplane that I could trust to just fly out of the sun without my "help."

Then afterwards you beat yourself up about how dumb it was to try flying there. Looks like a new cowl, bend that motor mount to point where it's supposed to and a new prop. That's not a terrible outcome when you consider that trees always win and sometimes they punish you worse for violating their airspace. I'd say you caught a pretty good break there. Onward, through the fog!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:38 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,265 Posts
LOL.... It snowed the day before (about 1'') and I had taken off the cement basketball court. The tracks in the snow showed me that it left the ground in roughly 18-20 feet. But with snow and a bright, bright sun there was some glare. And yeah, when I looked up directly in the sun I was pretty blinding. Guess I'll take some shades for that bright of conditions next time.

I actually avoided the trees. The issue was it was in a dive with low power and with my panic I just managed to manuever around the trees and didnt give any throttle up. An iron park bench is what I hit.... lol. I would of actually landed it if it wouldnt of been there. I was pulling up and at the same moment I realized I had little throttle and stalled it, the bench was in the way and boom. It would of been a great video.

Yeah I feel lucky that it was only the cowl, motor plate, servo, prop, and spinner. Like I said, about $20-25 worth. I wasnt mad about the wreck or having to fix it. But that it was such a great day with no wind and it ended early. Yeah it was cold but I couldnt feel it. I was just bummed I couldnt keep flying and practicing.

Side note: when I went to the LHS to see what they had (not much that was compatible) I got on the simulator (realflight) for a bit. The F16 EDF seemed WAY to easy, but did have fun and success with some warbirds and bi's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Wish I saw this earlier......This is a nice plane. I have a 5 year old hand me down of the original plane you posted on the first page. I have flown the version you bought....And man they fly very different. The 4 channel version is much lighter to fly and land.....You might want to look into a Funcub for grass flying....I fly mine out of my backyard now....I have 3 biplanes. learning curve with those is to learn how to fly at stall speed to land. So yea, I have the most interesting landings with those. 2 years of flying and I still get nervous with them...Here is a group photo

This does not include the scratchbuild biplane, the wrecked Wattage Wildcat I had, and the Dynam FW190 cuz I traded it for the Nieuport in the back. I didn't like the characteristics of the Dynam....And I have a scratchbuild 3D that is still not done...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,265 Posts
Well the patch work was completed and took her out this last weekend.

It didnt go as planned though. First flight I knew I was going to need to re-trim it due to the previous crash and installing a new rudder servo. So planned on getting her up and doing so. Well right after take off she tilted and pitched to the side. I panicked and cut the throttle and tried to land it. Due to low low speed it stalled during the manuver and nosed into the ground.

So a bit because it looks like the rudder tip was bent a bit (causing it to pitch). But I think that if I would of kept full throttle and powered it out to get some elevation I think I could of then either trimed it enough to fly level, or at least limped her in with some sort of control. I just wasnt prepared for that kind of manuvering.

So flight #6-7 have not been very nice to the Cessna. The impact broke out the inside foam that held the motor mount plate in place. The outer foam (which I epoxied) held and didnt re-break. So repair might be difficult due to gluing inside the fuselage.... .

It is a good thing I ordered a few spinners and I didnt use the new cowl yet. Was really excited to spend some time flying this last weekend. The 5 seconds of flight left much to be desired. Didnt even want to start the repair or anything yet.
RCG Plus Member