SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:02 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
Its here!

So due to holidays and such finally got my FMS (Blitz Works RC) Sky Trainer Cessna 182 (I think I know why it took 2 weeks total).

First off would like to thank everyone for all their suggestions and "opinions".

So the package was delivered last night and got into it right away. The first pic you will notice that the box it came in was marked Cessna 182 but also marked RTR. So I was so pumped to get a free tx/rx and lipo since I ordered the ARF version (which comes with everything except tx/rx and lipo). Well aparently they went through the box and took that stuff out because it was not in there, oh well. But that is why I think it took a few extra days to get here, Im guessing they might of had to make it a ARF version before shipping it out.

So I dug everything out to make sure it was all there, and it was. They have a label on the box that lets you know not to accept the box if it is damaged, and what to do if you find that the plane is damaged and how to return it if it is. Checked everything, and to my suprise after reading other peoples experience about how poorly these are boxed, everything was actually packaged pretty well and there was no visable damage what so ever.

One thing I can agree on is, the instructions SUCK! If you have never put a plane together or any RC, you might want to ask for help from someone that has. By building offroad RC and being barely mechanically inclined, I was able to put it together with no problems. I did cheat though and watched the Banana Hobby's youtube build video:
FMS Parkflyer Sky Trainer Cessna 182 Skylane Box and Build Review with Pete in HD! (54 min 22 sec)

PS: after a few minutes you will not be able to stand that guy, so good luck. Also, as a side note the kit that I got was actually pretty different then what was shown in that video. That video was published in March 2012, so looks like FMS has made some changes since then. Changes were: 1) main wing attachment and wiring tunnel through fuselage are different, also uses a plastic rod to connect and make the wing stronger (you can see it in the pics its the black rod, I didnt know if previous kits had this since build video didnt show); 2) elevator and rudder have different mount cut outs; 3) landing gear doenst just fit into a slot like the video showed, the rear two slid into plastic slots and screw in (thank god) but the front is about the same; 3) the cowling and front fuselage are a bit different, as well as the motor mount and shaft. By comparing what I got and the video it looks like it is now easier to acess the motor and shaft. The spinner and nut are diferent as well, which looks like it is a more simple design. I had read that some people were confused on how to install the prop, my version you slide the bottom of the spinner on, slide the prop on, tighten the cone shaped nut down, then pop the front of the spinner on. Boom.

So after making sure the glue had settled enough to move the plane around I got my rx (ar6000) and tx (DX6) paired up and got the servos and control rods setup. For actually never doing this before this wasnt too hard, it just took some patience. If you have never done RC before you should really ask for some help here. Because you will need to know how to trim out all the control surfaces and change any settings in your radio for things like: throw, expo, reversing, etc. But I got all the settings done and then installed the prop last (like I had read you should do). Got it in RTF mode and taxi'ed about 5 foot

I will agree that this is not a "first" or "beginner" plane due to one, the instructions being pretty worthless (all steps are small pics with a short description), and two you need to have some sort of building behind your belt and knowledge of at least how the plane operates. I had just enough experience to build this without any problems, and probably enough to get me in trouble and think I'll fly the thing perfect on its maiden.

Yep, the dude was included.

Lets hope the wind and the 50 degree day let me fly before it gets to a high of 15 degrees this weekend here in Denver.....
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:09 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
Oh yea, if anyone wants any additional pics let me know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:06 PM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
nicely done!
it may just be me, but it sure LOOKS like the prop might be on backwards...
good luck with the maiden !
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:11 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Buzzeo View Post
nicely done!
it may just be me, but it sure LOOKS like the prop might be on backwards...
good luck with the maiden !
I dont think I would of been able to do this then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Got it in RTF mode and taxi'ed about 5 foot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,228 Posts
Nice photos! With your experience I think you'll be okay as long as that is a good flying plane, which I'm not familiar with. You really didn't need a learner plane anyway, just a gateway back into the hobby. Hope you have a great maiden flight!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,911 Posts
Have you maidened this plane yet?
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:27 PM
Willmar, Minnesota, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
you sure would have!
it's an OLD technique .. (i'd need to jump into the way way back machine)
assuming the motor still turns in the same direction, putting the prop on backwards will NOT cause it to push air out the front. but it will cause it to not push nearly as much air. (makes a plane with a big motor fly like it's got a small motor in it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
I dont think I would of been able to do this then:
Jim Buzzeo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Buzzeo
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:46 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
chuck, I just built it last night so no; but the day is not over yet! about done with work.

jim, ya I dont know about the OLD techniques i guess. But one thing is for sure, if you put the prop on backwards on this bird, the spinner wont really fit on. The prop fits only one way on the spinner base.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:55 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,199 Posts
Yep, the FMS 1400 Cessna is a beauty alright!

That FMS 6 channel radio you got as a bonus is a surprisingly good radio. You can just use that FMS and install the DX6 on the next plane which I am sure will be coming shortly.

Good luck on the maiden, video would be nice.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:09 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Yep, the FMS 1400 Cessna is a beauty alright!

That FMS 6 channel radio you got as a bonus is a surprisingly good radio. You can just use that FMS and install the DX6 on the next plane which I am sure will be coming shortly.

Good luck on the maiden, video would be nice.
My post said that the tx/rx and lipo did not come with it. It was just the RTR box, they took out the "bonus" unfortunately. Flew it last night, no video. Wife wouldnt go, but I'll talk her into it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
Maiden

Sorry no video, I got home with 45 min of daylight left and grabed the bird, tx, and lipos. Got to my local park and there were some people walking their dog and running.... screw it. Unpacked on the grass, plugged in a batt and crossed the fingers.

The grass is basically dead and pretty short, but it A) had a lot of goose sheet and 2) wasnt that matted down. So I was pretty leary about throttle'ing it straight into the ground. But, it took off! Got it up in the air and the thing just wanted to climb up and to the right. So did a few circles battling that (if I was more experienced and not so nervouse I probably could of just adjusted trims on the go) and brought her in for first landing.

It wasnt too pretty but I did get it down with also fighting it at the same time. Last second I ended up noseing it just a bit but due to a grass landing it just bounced a bit. Figured I broke the well known weak front gear, but after a brief look down it was just bent a bit - look at the pic.

One thing is, I need to get a timer. I had no idea how much I was in the air for. So since I have two batts I just went ahead and swaped it (limited daylight!). There is a small basketball court in the corner of the field I was in. So I took it over there and practiced taxi'ing a bit and took off again. Oh yeah, also adjusted the trims a bit before take off, but had to do the rest in the air. I adjusted for about half the flight. I mean its almost dark, nervous anyways, and just trying to keep in the air. Anyways, got it pretty level and just did some figure eights, large circles, a loop, and a few barrel rolls.

I thought back, and actually I was wrong by saying its been about 10 years since flying, its more like 15. And this was my first time flying electric and a foamie. I'd have to say I was impressed with the ease of electric (duh) and how durable the plane is. I could tell that a few breezes would knock it around a bit, and that especially this model wouldnt take hard G turns very well. So I just took it nice and easy and it must of been 10-12 minutes or so I could tell my "punch" in lipo was gone so took her as far out with hope to bring it back for a nice landing. As I was coming in there was basically no throttle left so just cut it and glided in. WOW, on my face.

Sorry no video or pics at the field (hopefully next time). It was dusk when I landed, the LED's helped quite a bit with orientation with the low light environment. I threw the lipos on the charger, my first one was only half used, but the second I used was down to 3.2v per cell . I think 2256 got put back in it, so yeah it was done. I'll try not to get it that low again.

Speaking of the lipo, I didnt measure but I tried fitting my 2s 5300 stick pack that I use for offroad in, and it pretty much fit. It was tight but I got it in there. So a 2650 or 3000mah size lipo would most likely fit for some longer flight times.

Front nose gear, I took it off and bent it back a bit but it felt like I was going to break it so oh well. I'll visit the LHS and see if they got anything since I will be using my local "park" mostly with short grass landings.

Motor is a pink FMS 850kv, I did see that Banana does offer a 900kv in the parts list for around $28 so maybe other sites offer the 900kv stock (directed at another thread). Took a pic to compare if it is in fact different from previous versions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:50 AM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Hey, congrats on the successful maiden! After your first mention of the maiden I was going to ask if you got a plane back or "parts" . I waited a minute and you responded. Way to go!

Just got into the game myself and picked up a DX6i as my first tx and a Mini-Vapor to start flying...err crashing... right away. The MV is very forgiving, easy to fly and so far the crashes have only dislodged the battery. Lucky me has a gym across the street and a key to it.

We're getting the blow right now with the snow and cold hitting us later today before moving your way. I'm in the Salt Lake Valley next door to you.

I also got a sim to fly on and have been cutting and gluing Dollar Tree Foam...so I've put 8 foamies on the wall waiting for nicer weather and my flying skills to improve.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,911 Posts
Cool, I'm glad you maidened her and brought her down in once piece. It should all start coming back to you now.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:22 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
Well I wont hide from it. Yes I had some close calls with a few small trees and the ground. It's good that the Cessna 182 has a decent motor, I was able to power out of a few hairy situations.... I have a large park 2 blocks from the house, half of it is a large mowed grass field that is sunk but flat, but there are trees all the way around but not huge ones. Id say almost 200yds x 200yds. Here: http://goo.gl/maps/B399N I stood by the court.

And trust me, my wife was just as surprised that I (it) came home in one piece and not several.

Today is suppose to get to 50 again, but your right snow and cold is on the way . If Im lucky I can do it all over again tonight, as well as bring it home in one piece.

I'd say Im very happy with my choice, yes a 3ch would of been safer but after the first day I would of been tired of it. Glad I was able to handle the 4ch. I'd say a 3d foamie would be next, but a EDF looks like a challenge that is just asking for it . But I'm content with the Cessna and look forward to flying it over and over for a while.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tdford; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:28 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,223 Posts
So was lucky enough to have another crack at it before the weather gets crappy. I got my wife to video it (sorry for her comments).

The first video I just wanted to take off and make a few passes then come in for a landing. I didnt want to come in too close to the camera because I figured she freak out. So landed further out and miss judged and didnt have the nose as far up as I wanted. So bent the front nose again.....

PS: throw it on HD 1080
FMS Cessna 182 (0 min 58 sec)

Got it back up and flew some more but she wanted to get a good landing, so she video'd another landing. This time a bit better.

FMS Cessna 182 landing (0 min 10 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tdford; Jan 11, 2013 at 04:22 PM.