Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,189 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I use deans on all my stuff. I'd just swap out the plugs on the esc. Ya $50 is WAY too much for this type of battery. HobbyPartz and HobbyKing will run $11-20 each.

A warbird that flies nice and has some retracts sounds pretty fun as well. I might save that for plane #2 though. The AeroSky Sky Trainer Im looking at pretty hard since the Dynam Cessna is out of stock (I found a site that listed mid-jan for instock date, but not waiting).

I figured they had LVC since using lipo. I usually dont drain my batts either all the way. I have a good hyperion dual charger (I race offroad) that will get the most out of any battery, so that kind of stuff Im ok with. I know it depends on what plane I end up with. But I've read that some people upgrade the motor/esc for performance if that is needed. So depending on plane and motor mount and size available, will determine what motor can be upgraded to?

Just curious, more in the thinking if I get a bird that is a bit underpowered for my tasting and want to upgrade. I didnt know if people upgraded these foam planes. I run Castle in all my offroad stuff, so I'm use to aftermarket and esc settings.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,774 Posts
The thing about foam planes is that most of the time you don't need to upgrade them. But, upgrading a plane, I have found, is a lot easier to upgrade than a car or truck; there just isn't a lot of stuff to screw and unscrew on a plane. I used to run electric/nitro cars and trucks last year and basically gave it up for airplanes. Airplanes are a LOT cheaper to maintain too. I still have a Traxxas Slayer Pro and a Losi Ten T and the price of those is equal to about 6-7 of my planes.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, ID, Lewiston
Joined Dec 2012
89 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, if you're looking for a good affordable warbird with retracts, check out the dynam T-28 Trojan ARF. I got it just recently and it is a nice plane
FmrMarine is offline Find More Posts by FmrMarine
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
Wow, take it easy. I got my apprentice used for $50.00. The main problem I see with 3 channels, especially the smaller ones, is there's no roll control when a gust of wind hits it. You're going to need to learn aileron control sooner or later anyway. Also, the rudder on the right stick seems like a bad idea to me. You need to learn to steer on the ground, which is hard with a small tail dragger. When you graduate to 4 channels, you'll need to learn all over again with the left stick.
Wrong, wrong wrong. Don't listen to bad advice. A three channel plane rolls just like a 4 channel plane. You're not a learner and a 4-channel is appropriate. For unassisted newbies a 3-channel plane is by far the most appropriate choice. Everything Tucci says here is completely, totally, inarguably wrong. Disregard.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,838 Posts
Get a DX6i system, that will serve you for a few years until you want to get into more complex models and want more channels or mixing features, etc. Spektrum/Horizon has good quick turn around support, not so with cheap off-brand systems. As far as ARF's go, Park Zone foamie models and replacement parts availablity from local hobby shops are a good bet.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:01 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
No thanks on the Gamma. Im not a beginner to planes or to RC for that matter. I will be starting with brushless and lipo and aileron. Otherwise I wouldnt even get back into flying.

Perfect description of an Ares Gamma Pro. I don't understand your problem there with a plane that exactly matches your specifications.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,189 Posts
Its plain and simple. I looked at the Gamma, and I dont like it. Plus, I want something more intermediate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,774 Posts
So why are you asking if your mind is made up on a certain type of plane? What does "more intermediate" mean? BTW - the Ares Gamma PRO is an intermediate plane. She flies NOTHING like the 3 channel Gamma 370. The Gamma Pro has no dihedral in the wing and is about 3 times faster than the 3 channel Gamma 370. I have been flying about a year and have given away almost all of my trainers except my HZ Super Cub. I guarantee you that the Gamma 370 PRO will fly the wings off that AreroSky plane you're looking at and is way tougher to boot.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,189 Posts
Im not going with the AeroSky. I asked because I had no idea what to start looking at. Everyone has given me some good info though, and helped me a lot on what I need to be looking at.

I got the DX6(NO i) in the mail this weekend with two AR6000 rx's. Cant wait to use it. I know people dont like Banana Hobby, but the FMS Sky Trainer is where Im probably going to go. If the Dynam Trainer was in stock I'd order it. $80 is perfect, but sounds like it wont be in stock for another month. I can always pick it up later if I hate the FMS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
Good choice on the FMS Sky Trainer. It has a more scale look than the Dynam version specially in the cockpit area and the color scheme is more attractive. The FMS has clear windshield and windows. The Dynam is solid foam.

I really prefer the FMS Skytrainer. However, having experience with crash damage on the similar but bigger 1400 FMS Cessna 182, the rear wing mounts proved difficult to repair and reinforce due to the its having a flimsier cockpit area. It will be easier to repair a solid fuselage.

As an aside, I find the Skyartec Cessna 182 5-channel with 980mm wingspan a very capable performer with the stock motor. It has a solid foam fuse and is equipped with flaps. Not as pretty as the FMS but can handle a little bit more hotdogging in the air (not really recommended as it was not designed for full aerobatics). This Skyartec is a high winger that can perform. You can watch BananaHobby's old video of this model.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Dec 31, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:29 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,189 Posts
I watched the build video from banana on the FMS. Looks pretty simple, I went ahead and ordered it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,774 Posts
I say again, that FMS Sky Trainer is NO trainer, but, to each his own. Good luck, please post a video of the maiden.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:48 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I say again, that FMS Sky Trainer is NO trainer, but, to each his own. ....
OP knows that. He flew nitros so he's definitely not a newb and he wasn't looking for a trainer anyway.

Flying RC is like riding a bike. You never totally forget it. I believe an intermediate plane like the FMS 1100 Cessna 182 will serve him well.

Personally, I'd fly a simulator for a couple hours or find a friend who will let me fly his HZ Champ. A couple of batteries should do. This is only to jog the long term memory cells and not to really learn how to fly.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:26 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,189 Posts
Yeah I think it will be just fine. No, I found that I actually did NOT want a true trainer. I almost just went with a war bird or 3D. But figured I'd step into something that was easy and fun to fly, hense asking what good trainers were out there. It did help having all the suggestions so I could hone in on what I thought would be a good fit. Since I didnt have any "air" stuff, I was looking at RTF's because they would come with everything that I dont have. I'm glad I picked up a radio so I wouldnt be forced to use RTF junk, plus then I can order cheaper ARF's or do a kit or two down the road.

As far as experience, yes like I posted I flew some nitro about 15yrs ago, neve crashed anything. Did a lot of simulator back then though. And when I step into my LHS's I usually jump on and fly whatever. Except choppers, I'd need some more hours logged to fly heli's.

chuck, I doubt I'll film the maiden. But if I can I will. I'll probably crash it just for you . Cant wait to get the FMS though. Does Banana ship fast?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
I think you should not start with a small plane. In my (limited) experience, the larger aircraft are easier to fly. Go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the Apprentice that comes with the DX5. You won't be sorry. Also I think that anyone who tries to tell you to learn on 3 channels is full of......

Oh yeah, get a sim too.
Agree
skates04 is offline Find More Posts by skates04