HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPP Destroyer View Post
You can get that plane for $175 with this coupon http://www.horizonhobby.com/media/st...ges/coupon.jpg . If you buy it here http://secure.hobbyzone.com/rcplanes...e/HBZ7400.html , you may be able to use the coupon and get the 2nd battery at a discount. I already have a Champ, but I'm thinking seriously about this deal.... The Champ and Mini Super Cub are also on that coupon if you want to start with something smaller.
Thanks for the heads up. Very tempting, but I dont know if I want a 3-channel plane. The one plus is the radio it comes with to use on the next plane. Im just afraid that after a few flights the next plane will need to be sooner rather than later.

If it was brushless, it would probably be a no-brainer.
tdford is online now Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
Well things change....

Just picked up a DX6 w/ two AR6000 rx's. So, now I NEED a plane lol.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
So I originally learned with nitro planes years ago. Over the last two years have been doing offroad buggy and short course. Want to get back into flying. I mess around on my LHS simulator every once in a while and can control about any plane, but I just want something simple that I can go mess around with.

I have a good hyperion charger, thats not a problem. But I dont have any air tx/rx's or motor or esc's. So figured Id get a cheap RTF that comes with everything to get me started. Then if I wanted to upgrade or build, I'd at least have a radio (i know RTF's come with basic, but at least 2.4).
I was in a similar situation. I flew a friend's Hobbyzone Champ . Didn't crash the Champ even though the wind was tossing it around like a dry leaf. Realized had to return to RC.

On the advice of my friend, I joined RCGroups and read and read and read. So a quick trip to the LHS was in order. Went home with a Hobbyzone Supercub with a basic Spektrum 4-channel TX and RX. I thought this was the perfect re-learner's model and I could bind other planes to the Tx. I never flew anything in the past with more than 4-channels so I thought I was set-up for life

Wrong! So I got a Spektrum DX6i shortly after. Anyways, I found that getting the RC bug the second time was like a flu relapse.....it hits you harder. Chances are you will dig deep into your pockets. I wanted flaps and retracts on my next models. The same may happen to you. So I suggest getting the Bind and Fly version of the HZ SuperCub and a DX6i Tx.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
Im guessing you didnt read my previous post....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Im guessing you didnt read my previous post....
You guessed right

Glad you went with the DX6i. With your previous nitro experience, an aileron trainer will work.

Or a better option is if you can find a friend with a trainer, log a few flights just to get your wings back. It will not take very long, trust me. Sometimes I regret even buying the HZ Supercub. A few flights on the Supercub and I flew my Artech 980mm wingspan P51 from Bananahobby, no problem until a moment of overexuberance while inverted

So if you can get in a few flights care of a friend, just go get an FMS Mini T28 or Mini Corsair or any similar easy to fly low winger like the Flyzone Millenium (love this design but I got a FMS 1400 Cessna 400 instead).
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, Sausalito
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
tdford,

I'm in the same boat as you basically. Just getting back into this hobby after a hiatus of a few years.

I'm currently looking at some of these Trainers here:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/aeroskytrainer.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

A tricycle landing gear is definitely easier in the beginning.
jutout is offline Find More Posts by jutout
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Really? That's a pretty ludicrous statement seeing how many, many folks learned on a 3 channel like the SC or Slow Stick. Ever thought that some people may not be able to afford a plane like the Apprentice? There is NOTHING wrong with learning on a 3 channel, unless you're one of those who keeps thinking in terms of ailerons and rudder instead of just direction control. Lord save us.
Wow, take it easy. I got my apprentice used for $50.00. The main problem I see with 3 channels, especially the smaller ones, is there's no roll control when a gust of wind hits it. You're going to need to learn aileron control sooner or later anyway. Also, the rudder on the right stick seems like a bad idea to me. You need to learn to steer on the ground, which is hard with a small tail dragger. When you graduate to 4 channels, you'll need to learn all over again with the left stick.
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
Wow, take it easy. I got my apprentice used for $50.00. The main problem I see with 3 channels, especially the smaller ones, is there's no roll control when a gust of wind hits it. You're going to need to learn aileron control sooner or later anyway. Also, the rudder on the right stick seems like a bad idea to me. You need to learn to steer on the ground, which is hard with a small tail dragger. When you graduate to 4 channels, you'll need to learn all over again with the left stick.
Yes and no.

When a gust of wind displaces the plane from straight and level, rudder or aileron will bring it back to your desired heading. Regardless of what stick rudder is on.

We are just flying model airplanes and our models don't really care if you use aileron or rudder to turn left or right. Now there are designs that can change direction using rudder only, such as the HZ Supercub. There are designs that turn better with ailerons, as in bank and yank, say a P51.

IMO, the only critical aspect in using rudder is during take off and landing when using aileron may or will not correct for torque or crosswinds, which are yawing and not rolling, tendencies. Use of ailerons then might even be dangerous and cause one to crash.

Use of rudder for aerobatics can be learned easily.
Last edited by easyrider604; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
easyrider - I picked up an older DX6 (no i). To get me going and I'm going to be flying mostly by myself or with a few others. Dont really need DSMX stuff right now.

So now looking for a ARF plane. Found the Dynam Sky Trainer Cessna 182 and it looks good and gets some pretty good reviews. But cant find it in stock anywhere at a good price. Damn holidays.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutout View Post
tdford,

I'm in the same boat as you basically. Just getting back into this hobby after a hiatus of a few years.

I'm currently looking at some of these Trainers here:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/aeroskytrainer.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

A tricycle landing gear is definitely easier in the beginning.
I thought tail draggers were easier to land? Either way, I'll take a look at those. Its right up the alley that Im looking at. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,460 Posts
But, those aren't problems. Just different designs as Easyrider said. I learned on a 3 channel plane and had no problems transitioning to a 4 channel. Why? because I learned from wise folks on this forum to always think of the right stick as the "direction" stick not aileron or rudder. If you think of it in those terms, it really doesn't matter does it?

BTW - The Dynam Sky Trainer isn't a trainer at all. It has virtually no self righting characteristics and is not a good first plane for a beginner; no Cessna 182 model is. Parts will be hard to come by (heck the plane is hard to get as you found out) and, the customer service from the vendor is pretty dismal; I assume you saw it on NitroPlanes or Banana Hobby. A rank beginner should always learn on a plane that doesn't need a bunch of setup at the start and for which parts are easy to find. There are plenty out there. My most recommended plane is now the Ares Gamma 370 sold by HobbyTown. This plane will get you in the air and once you learn to fly and land it well, it can be easily upgraded to a full brushless power system and an aileron equipped wing.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Last edited by chucksolo69; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
No thanks on the Gamma. Im not a beginner to planes or to RC for that matter. I will be starting with brushless and lipo and aileron. Otherwise I wouldnt even get back into flying.

Ive read the Dynam Sky Trainer thread on this site. People have had it for over 2 years and its still flying. I wouldnt do flaps for such a light plane, so the only mod might be the front nose gear from what it sounds. And others have posted similar options.

I dont want to buy something that after the first day of flying Im tired with it and want to upgrade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,460 Posts
Well, you sure sounded like you thought of yourself as a beginner despite saying you flew nitro "years ago." We are just trying to help you get started again. RR's suggestion of the Gamma Pro is a good one. It is aerobatic and fast using a 3s 11.1v 1300 mah battery. I personally have seen the Dynam Sky Trainer fly and wouldn't keep one if it was given to me. I fly a Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale that is way better built and constructed than the Dynam plane. But, if price is a concern............................besides, if you are no rookie, why bother with a high wing trainer type aircraft at all? Why not just jump to a 4 channel warbird? I'm sure you won't get bored with any of those.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
True. And I have thought about just getting a warbird of some sort. But figured a nice "beginner/intermediate" model would be a good first choice. Seems like the cost is very close in most of these ART's.

Ive just never flown a foam plane, or electric. So was wanting some suggestions to what a good one might be. Already within a week I know 10-fold what I did before (about brands, size, etc. etc).

The Flyzone Cessna looks pretty decent. It only takes a 1800mah battery? What is the flight time with it? Was wanting to go with the 2200-2600 size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,708 Posts
Question that I dont know why I havent asked before. Do the ARF kits that we have been talking about. Do the ESC's have lipo cutoff? Im assuming so, but just checking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,460 Posts
Any plane will take any battery provided the ESC will handle it. I currently use a Turnigy 1800 in mine and I just needed to place the battery slightly rearward to compensate for the change in center of gravity. The recommended Flyzone battery is a weird dimension and is actually smaller than ANY other 1800 battery I have seen in its class. Flight time is about 10 minutes depending on throttle use for the Turnigy. The downside to Flyzone planes is that they use a Super Tiger connector which no other company uses. I bought a Super tiger to Deans adapter for my ESC so I could use the batteries I already owned as the Flyzone battery is quite expensive at $50.00a pop. Actually, If you want to get a really docile low wing trainer, the Parkzone T-28 Trojan is probably the most easy to fly warbird I own. Many others will attest to that fact too. Another plane that flies like the Trojan is the Flyzone Focke-Wulf FW190 Select Scale. Believe it or not, this warbird is really easy to fly and can fly really slow or fast as you want. It comes with retracts for the landing gear and is a blast to fly, but, the matter of the Super Tiger connector is an issue with this one as well. I have converted my FW190 to EC3 connectors so I can use my Parkzone batteries to fly her. Most ESCs have a lipo cutoff, but, you don't want to rely on that constantly as it can damage the battery to go the LVC all the time. I usually time my planes flight and fly no more that 7-10 minutes at the most.