HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,187 Posts
Discussion
Getting into Air, good starter?

So I originally learned with nitro planes years ago. Over the last two years have been doing offroad buggy and short course. Want to get back into flying. I mess around on my LHS simulator every once in a while and can control about any plane, but I just want something simple that I can go mess around with.

I have a good hyperion charger, thats not a problem. But I dont have any air tx/rx's or motor or esc's. So figured Id get a cheap RTF that comes with everything to get me started. Then if I wanted to upgrade or build, I'd atleast have a radio (i know RTF's come with basic, but at least 2.4).

What do you think about this????

http://www.bananahobby.com/flight-tr...5399-prd1.html

tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,011 Posts
I think you want something with a transmitter that will be useful for other planes. That eliminates all the Bananahobbies (don't care if I spell it wrong) planes. They're all disposable planes anyway.

You're no beginner, although you'd put yourself there. There are memories in those thumbs your brain doesn't think it has. I'd recommend getting the Ares Gamma 370 Pro. In RFR configuration, needing receiver, battery and charger it sells for $99, a great price!

I can't find anyone selling it in the RTF version. I guess they're putting all their production capability into the learner version. You wouldn't be too bad off buying the RTF version, 3 channel, bruished motor for $130. But then you end up with, you guessed it, a proprietary radio.

I'd get the RFR version of the Pro model for $99, then shop for a radio that you can use throughout your future fleet.

You'll find that the Bananahobbies (don't care if I spell it wrong) and Nitroplanes style planes are decidedly second tier, without availability of spare parts and usually not very well designed. You can, with others' experience benefiting you on RC Groups, sometimes identify a model that happens to fly well and decide it's worth the bother of making it into something you'd fly and not be embarrassed about. That means re-engineering the plane usually.

When the kid flies the planes on You Tube, never forget that he's an expert at hiding the deficiencies in the plane and carefully flies them to make them look their best. He's not above modifying the plane A LOT in order to do this. Take everything you see there as entertainment only, not necessarily informative. At best, this is what an expert can modify the plane to be able to do.

Just to bring you back to earth, they also advertise their electric ducted fans as flight trainer models. Anything to get in your pocket. They can ignore your pleas for help later...

Your mileage may vary.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,187 Posts
Thanks for your insight. At this point Im pretty involved with offroad, so I know those brands and specs like I mentioned. For planes, I'm beginner in the means of knowledge.

Kits, motors, esc's, etc. I will defenitely be leaning on members help going forward! A good starter that can get me going with the possibility to upgrade and grow is what I had in mind. But who knows, maybe something simple to just get me in the air is all that it will take to satisfy my needs..... lol, probably not.

I'll take a look at your recommendation, thank you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
since you already have experience due with rc electronic stuff with those rc cars. to understand how esc and servos of plane should be piece of cake. get a kit and build from there, something like a bixler, E-starter or easystar will get you going. use the money buy a quality tx and electronic.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I think you want something with a transmitter that will be useful for other planes. That eliminates all the Bananahobbies (don't care if I spell it wrong) planes. They're all disposable planes anyway.

You're no beginner, although you'd put yourself there. There are memories in those thumbs your brain doesn't think it has. I'd recommend getting the Ares Gamma 370 Pro. In RFR configuration, needing receiver, battery and charger it sells for $99, a great price!

I can't find anyone selling it in the RTF version. I guess they're putting all their production capability into the learner version. You wouldn't be too bad off buying the RTF version, 3 channel, bruished motor for $130. But then you end up with, you guessed it, a proprietary radio.

I'd get the RFR version of the Pro model for $99, then shop for a radio that you can use throughout your future fleet.

You'll find that the Bananahobbies (don't care if I spell it wrong) and Nitroplanes style planes are decidedly second tier, without availability of spare parts and usually not very well designed. You can, with others' experience benefiting you on RC Groups, sometimes identify a model that happens to fly well and decide it's worth the bother of making it into something you'd fly and not be embarrassed about. That means re-engineering the plane usually.

When the kid flies the planes on You Tube, never forget that he's an expert at hiding the deficiencies in the plane and carefully flies them to make them look their best. He's not above modifying the plane A LOT in order to do this. Take everything you see there as entertainment only, not necessarily informative. At best, this is what an expert can modify the plane to be able to do.

Just to bring you back to earth, they also advertise their electric ducted fans as flight trainer models. Anything to get in your pocket. They can ignore your pleas for help later...

Your mileage may vary.
order a ARF then use your own TX and RX,and i guarantee my Super Sky Surfer is not a cheap disposable plane, Banana packed it very well,excellent quality, as always i replaced the esc with a bigger one
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:22 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,270 Posts
I would look at the Dynam Hawksky you can get it in RTF packages, the mid mount motor as advantages if you crash and I think belly landing is easy than with wheels.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:42 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,187 Posts
Im not too interested in powered gliders. I dont need that basic.

So do people have issues with BananaHobby? Is it because parts are an issue to obtain, or because the kits or electronics are junk? I was thinking of buying used, but most people want to sell LPU, and I havent found anything in my area that sparks any interest. For RTF's around $150-170 is nce and I could pick up another battery and still stay under $200.

Are there any other outlets that is a good place to look?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,187 Posts
Ok, so have scratched the surface on looking into a tx/rx that may be a good option moving forward. But already confused.

So many recommendations are to go with the Dx6i. So what receivers does it work with other than Spectrum DSM2 & DSMX? Ive read something about "Orange" receivers. Does this tx work with any BNF models?

I do agree with not piling up a bunch of RTF with junk tx's. But I do need to get started and am ok with having at least one. But I'd also like to get a radio that will take over. Ideally I'd want a good 6ch radio that I can put decent rx's into either kits or bind with BNF's.

So tell me, what is the best direction? Spectrum, Airtronics, Futaba, JR, Turnigy....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
I fly all my birds with a Spektrum DX6i and the only limitation I hav found is the 10 model memory. I now have 15 planes. I also fly 3 on the Orange (HobbyKing) RXs and have not had a problem with any of them. I agree with RR though on the Ares Gamma Pro. I recently maidened mine this past weekend and it is a really great flying plane. My experience with Banana Hobby planes was not a good one as the hardware and electronics that came with the plane I bought from them were just this side of junk. Go with the Ares Gamma Pro, it is a great plane at a fantastic price.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Im not too interested in powered gliders. I dont need that basic.

So do people have issues with BananaHobby? Is it because parts are an issue to obtain, or because the kits or electronics are junk? I was thinking of buying used, but most people want to sell LPU, and I havent found anything in my area that sparks any interest. For RTF's around $150-170 is nce and I could pick up another battery and still stay under $200.

Are there any other outlets that is a good place to look?
great service and cheap shipping.. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
no issues with these guys... http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ioam0t92ie1g52

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...-Airplane-Kits

bought my phoenix 2000 here had it in 4 days, http://www.lanyuhobby.com/products_en.asp

new company ... http://www.motionrc.com/aircraft/
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,187 Posts
fastfwd, thanks for the links.

Hobby Zone Super Cub DSM RTF; comes with a 3s lipo and a DX4e, $200. ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
There ya go! Double endorsement for this post! These companies are not just out to get your money and never want to see you again. They're all about happy customers after the sale. THAT's what Bananahobbies needs to learn from because they don't care once they have your money. For them it's "next victim!"
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, IL, West Dundee
Joined Dec 2012
80 Posts
You can get that plane for $175 with this coupon http://www.horizonhobby.com/media/st...ges/coupon.jpg . If you buy it here http://secure.hobbyzone.com/rcplanes...e/HBZ7400.html , you may be able to use the coupon and get the 2nd battery at a discount. I already have a Champ, but I'm thinking seriously about this deal.... The Champ and Mini Super Cub are also on that coupon if you want to start with something smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
fastfwd, thanks for the links.

Hobby Zone Super Cub DSM RTF; comes with a 3s lipo and a DX4e, $200. ???
EPP Destroyer is offline Find More Posts by EPP Destroyer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
Learn to build with wood.
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
841 Posts
I think you should not start with a small plane. In my (limited) experience, the larger aircraft are easier to fly. Go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the Apprentice that comes with the DX5. You won't be sorry. Also I think that anyone who tries to tell you to learn on 3 channels is full of......

Oh yeah, get a sim too.
Tucci is offline Find More Posts by Tucci
Last edited by Tucci; Dec 25, 2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Sim
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
Really? That's a pretty ludicrous statement seeing how many, many folks learned on a 3 channel like the SC or Slow Stick. Ever thought that some people may not be able to afford a plane like the Apprentice? There is NOTHING wrong with learning on a 3 channel, unless you're one of those who keeps thinking in terms of ailerons and rudder instead of just direction control. Lord save us.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69