HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:34 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
No experience, which wood kit to build first ?

This Winter I want to try the building side of the hobby (been saying that for the last two Winters).
I've assembled various ARF foam models.....Twinjet, Zagi, S+B ME 163, Partenavia, MM Lil Hornet, Tiger Moth, well you get the idea. I have virtually no wood kit building skills.

In my posession, I have these kits to choose from:
Kwik-E
Simple 400
Aerocraft Apache

I'm guessing that of the three, the Kwik-E or Simple would be the first to start on. OR should I invest in some "starter kit" before I tackle either of these ? Thanks in advance.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:12 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
I don't know anything of the kits you have. But id they are lazer cut they should go together easy.

I built the Herr Aquastar, an all lazer cut plane. I was amazed at the ease that this plane went together. The lazer cutting was so exact the wing held itself together without any glue.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,053 Posts
The Simple 400 is quick and easy to build for someone in your position.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:45 AM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
Have built Herr kits and they are well thought out as are SR batteries kits. All you have to do is follow the directions, the SR directions are the best ( I think ).

HRH
Hal Ray is offline Find More Posts by Hal Ray
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:43 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,533 Posts
I'll echo the SR recommendation. If you've never built a balsa kit, the Cutie or the X-250 (depending on your flying skills) are great first builds. The instructions are second to none.

IMHO, the Herr and Mountain Models kits are in the same league as the SR kits as far as quality and fit, but, while the instructions are good, they aren't the same level as the SR kits.

The only negative to starting with one of these is that you'll be spoiled. You'll expect that level of quality from you're next kit and may be disappointed.

- Roger
gnofliwr is online now Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,073 Posts
Mountain Models Kits

Very easy and quick to build plus Doug Binder is available for advice. If you have aileron experience, the Switchback 3D is great especially with a 280 size geared brushless. The sport version is a good aileron trainer. The Cessna 180 is a good slow rudder/elevator park flyer. Avoid attempts at converting of small rubber powered stick models until you have building and flying skills with larger subjects.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:59 PM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
Hi:

I can recommend the Mountain Models kits as well.

Recently, I finished building my first laser-cut kit ... a Dandy Sport. Until then, I really didn't care for building, it was a necessary evil to get something to fly.

These kits are very well thought through and it took me longer to find the parts on the sheets than it did to actually do the construction operation. With a bottle of "Zap" or equivalent instant glue, you can make very quick progress that provides a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment in a short time.

These laser-cut kits are a great step forward for modellers.

Best of luck with whatever kit you select.

Regards,
Lee Smith
Radioguy is offline Find More Posts by Radioguy
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:03 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
I've built the Simple 400 and I would say it should make an ideal kit for your first build. The wing is foam so the only building to be done is the fuselage and tail feathers making the transition to "real" building easier.

Personally, the building of my airplanes (and boats, and cars) is at least 50% of the fun in the hobby. Actually, one of the reasons I'm getting out of the RC car part of the hobby is because other than the high-end, race-ready cars, the majority of the new cars coming out are RTR. What's the fun of eating food that someone else has already chewed?
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Dec 16, 2003, 03:57 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Hi Al,

The simple kit (since you have one on hand) gets my vote. They are about as simple a build as you can get -- slab sides, rudder and h-stab are one piece, wing is two piece foam..... Cover foam wing and fuse in Ultracote (low temp) and away you go. Just keep the fuse square.... But, I seem to remember you already have a simple 400????

Otherwise, I recommend any of the laser cut MM kits (Tantrum, FB2, SB, MF). Go together fast and accurate. Little more work in covering than the Simple kit however and are more fragile (but lighter)..... The simple kits are flying tanks (tough little planes) .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Dec 17, 2003, 08:46 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,565 Posts
Hey Al,

RonJ here from Wisconsin. Can't believe you've never glued a few sticks togeather and flown them. You're going to have some fun while winter slips away.
#1- build the Simple 400. I have one and it is a very easy build and a superb flyer. Have a 7 turn Mega in mine and if you liked the Electro-Streak you will love the S-400. Use only one aileron servo and add a rudder servo. Increase the rudder area and this little plane will snap roll with the best. 8 KAN's or HE cells will produce at least 10 minutes of excitement.
#2- you gotta get a model from MM (Mountain Models). They are all great flyers and go togeather amazingly. They not only sell the kits but you can order extra wings, etc. if you ding up the originals. The Dandy Sport would be perfect for the Unidome Fly.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/
See you there.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ