HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
if you see a weed, pick it
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Discussion
Are flight stablization units usefull for VTOL?

Hi im wondering if units such as the eagle tree inertial 2d 3d stabilzer
would be usefull for my XC-142 tilt wing at the moment im just useing rate gyros on roll and pitch, one of the problems with tilt wings is they changeing of controls as the wing tilts so yaw becomes roll so the roll gyro needs to be switched off at 45˚ tilt .

I geuss my question is has anyone tred one on a vtol project?
malakiblunt is offline Find More Posts by malakiblunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,855 Posts
You can just fix the gyro to the wing, though
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
lol yes very good point
cheers :-)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Most of the dedicated helicopter tail rotor gyros will not help a VTOL much as they recenter to fast and don't do enough control input to help .
That said I know nothing of how this eagle tree 3 axis works so can't help you there

I had found a couple old early piezo gyros by arcamax that did work good and as Brandano stated I did mount my roll one to the tilt mechanics and as it rotated over roll gyro became yaw gyro and it worked quite well .

Several guys on the VTOL board are using the multi Wii boards and have good luck ... and the thing there is you can program them to do different things with the open code ... and guys on here will help you do that .

Got any work done on your XV -142 ... always wanted to do one but never had the time ... would love to see some pictures

Good luck
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
Devon England
Joined Oct 2006
355 Posts
Thanks V22
I have a very old GWS basic pizzo gyro i was going to use, plan is to have it contolling just one of the 4 wing motors for roll .
geuss ill just have to try and see if it works!

yeah ive been very impressed with what the guys have been doing here with the Wii boards
and am already plaing my next project to use one (depending on getting help here)

But i must completel this project first!! (i can always retro fit a wii once the model is 'flying' if it needs it :-)

thanks again for your help.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,129 Posts
Do a search on here for Iphan and his CL 84 tilt wing I believe that he used gyros ... can't remember
there was another thread on a XC -142 but that was on runryder and it has been down for the last week or so , He never got his to fly well at all as I remember .Ended up crashing pretty bad
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap