HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:57 AM
United States, KY, Murray
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
i wonder if your carb is to high or fuel tank to low?
tkimbro55 is offline Find More Posts by tkimbro55
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:29 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
tank level

That makes no difference on a gasoline system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkimbro55 View Post
i wonder if your carb is to high or fuel tank to low?
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
The gaskets should come off in one piece
Coax them with a exacto carefully
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
Austria
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
Alright, I flew Sunday and tried some things, made some observations. I still have not pulled the motor out, but here's what I noticed: I couldn't flip start it on the first start of the day, but after the first start it was fine. I could flip start the remainder of the day. I noticed that it had trouble returning to idle speed for a while, but that seemed to smooth out after a while. It seems to want to dead stick on me after about 4 or 5 flights.

I'm still planning to pull the carb and check the reeds and gasket, but I'm going to wait until I get a new gasket before I do that.

Thanks!

Ben
A little too lean,sounds like it.Try richen the low needle a little and starting will become easier.
I tuned mine to perfection(theoretically)and i also battled to start motor on first start of the day.I also had flame outs every now and then,but then i richened her up a bit and have had no more dead sticks and she starts easier.
Its a bit irritating having a burbly motor on the low end but now the motor runs and runs.

I also have a question to you boffs out there?
Now that the very cold months are here,does your motor run richer or leaner compared to the summer months..,,burble,4 stroking?at mid throttle
janshaz is offline Find More Posts by janshaz
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:19 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,267 Posts
Cold air is more dense. So your getting more air in. You may need to richen the mixture. Not very much though.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:53 AM
Austria
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
Thanks..Interesting.I just fitted a mvvs tuned pipe and im getting amazing rpm on 19x8 prop (+-7900rpm) so its probably is a bit lean
Gonna have to purchase a 20x8 to try out,but im loving the power.(real quiet too)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:07 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,337 Posts
That pipe is going to make the engine pretty picky on it's carb settings? 1/8 turn one way or the other can make a big difference. 'Tis the price you pay for the extra power!

Fun when it's right, but can be a PIA when the weather changes much while getting used to what it's going to be looking for?
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
Austria
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Cold air is more dense. So your getting more air in. You may need to richen the mixture. Not very much though.
I have been scouring the web as to the (air pressure) in winter vs summer,with no luck except for snow mobil forums,which is another kettle of fish compared to our 30cc dle.
I thought that in winter the air becomes more moist,thus less "air"combustible available.
At the moment it is just horrible foggy snowy weather here and its no fun at the field,trying to tune motors
I will go with your advice ,,..hot weather ..leaner..a bit
cold weather...a bit richer

Ahicks..I hear ya.The boys at the club warned me about the pipe,but i enjoy the challenge,i guess i should drill a hole in the cowl to do a bit of fine tuning to the H and L carb settings,without having to pull everything off.

Back to the subject of this thread,I personally think to richen your settings,run your motor in properly ,get used to the motor character,then do a final setting(summer time i think would be better,..we fly more in summer)
ps.I flew a whole season,ca 20 litres of fuel till my motor really woke up

thanks for all your advice..jan
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
Cold air is denser
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:58 PM
Austria
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machzx View Post
Cold air is denser
Thus the air moisture will have no affect?
So my best bet would be to tune ,in cooler temps and (the great thing with gas motors)not have to tinker too much when flying season comes,,summer
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:33 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
As you say... not very much though. In fact, if rpms are brought back down 100 or so in hot weather... in cold air, I've not had to retune but enjoy some great performance with evidently the setting hitting very close to peak rpms.

If rpms are run at peak in hot weather, as noted a very slight richening might be needed.

The better engine performance combined with better flight qualities of denser air provide a very notable performance increase.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:40 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,337 Posts
Let's forget about the moisture for a minute. It can be present in summer and winter.

The plan is to maintain the optimum air/fuel mixture that your engine runs best on no matter the temp? The denser cold air contains more oxygen than lighter warm air, and requires more fuel to go with that extra oxygen to maintain the correct ratio. So we richen as the temps drop, lean as they climb.

The winter tuned engine, run in the summer without change? It'll be blubbery rich, struggling to get out of it's own way. Plan on retuning with 20-30 degree temp changes at minimum. Your pipe will likely cause that one to be even pickier.....

Consider also that the denser cold air, at the correct fuel air ratio, contains a bunch of extra punch when burned! Enough to cause a noticable increase in power. That denser air is being allowed through the ports at the same rate lighter air would be - but this air contains much more oxygen and fuel, making much more horsepower!

BTW, 40+ years screwin with the sleds taught me about this! That 2 stroke technology, the basics anyway, is no different than what we're talking about. Just bigger! A race engine is nearly always piped - for a very narrow band where it makes it's max horsepower. 5 degrees can make enough difference where we can hardly get that engine on to the pipe without a jet change.... FWIW, -Al
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:47 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,061 Posts
Al.... interesting. Thanks for relating.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Let's forget about the moisture for a minute. It can be present in summer and winter.

The plan is to maintain the optimum air/fuel mixture that your engine runs best on no matter the temp? The denser cold air contains more oxygen than lighter warm air, and requires more fuel to go with that extra oxygen to maintain the correct ratio. So we richen as the temps drop, lean as they climb.

The winter tuned engine, run in the summer without change? It'll be blubbery rich, struggling to get out of it's own way. Plan on retuning with 20-30 degree temp changes at minimum. Your pipe will likely cause that one to be even pickier.....

Consider also that the denser cold air, at the correct fuel air ratio, contains a bunch of extra punch when burned! Enough to cause a noticable increase in power. That denser air is being allowed through the ports at the same rate lighter air would be - but this air contains much more oxygen and fuel, making much more horsepower!

BTW, 40+ years screwin with the sleds taught me about this! That 2 stroke technology, the basics anyway, is no different than what we're talking about. Just bigger! A race engine is nearly always piped - for a very narrow band where it makes it's max horsepower. 5 degrees can make enough difference where we can hardly get that engine on to the pipe without a jet change.... FWIW, -Al
Nothing like the sound of Kevlar at a 100+ mph on shaved ice with a nice hyper 3 or 4cyl mod motor screaming at over 8000rpm on open pipes
Unless you play in the snow you won't get it
Airplane engines can't even come close !!
Then there is the rotten egg smell after a complete piston meltdown that goes with tuning over the edge
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
Austria
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
Jup..There is nothing like the sound of a 2-stroke on the pipe.
I used to race 125cc years ago(honda RS) and when the clouds blew over some blokes would try and get out just to do plug chops cause we jetted to the best limit.
shorter headers,longer headers for short circuit or long circuit.high and low comp heads for sea level or higher altitude.......ahh,those were good days
Funny though,ive never seen a snowmobile in real lifelooks fun though

the dle 30 is a bit pipey which i tried to calm down with throttle curve.
Thanks for clearing this temp thing with me,now i know where i should start at.
I may lengthen the header a bit to calm the powerband a bit,err but for now i will do with what i have.(If it aint broke,dont fix it)
OH..im flying a 1.8m Edge 540..5.1kg ,real floaty and a pleasure to fly
reg..jan