to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, NC, Butner
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr View Post
AMEN!!!

My 3W 150CC is so easy to start it is almost scary. I use the same technich as the smaller gassers. Full choke and full throttle. When it kicks, low throttle open choke and shes off. I have never fliped more than 5-6 times even on a cold day. My DLE 30CC, Same way. Perhaps the OP and others having issues might check their tunning. A fine tuned engine, even a magneto, should flip start easly.
When I try to start my DLE I've got the choke on, but I'm leaving the throttle on idle. I crank the prop about 10 times to try to get the fuel moving, then I hit it with the starter until it kicks, and normally it will run for a little while with the choke on-- usually long enough for me to turn the choke off and I'm ready to fly at that point. I'm going to try with full throttle next time. If that does't fix it then I'm going to try soldering the choke hole. I will go ahead an try that on my DLE 55 since it is easy to get to right now.
ognolman is offline Find More Posts by ognolman
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
the engine should not run with the choke closed. If you can do that then you have an air leak like i suggested. did you check the gaskets between the carb and the reeds?
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,166 Posts
Yuh huh !-manufacturers went to ignition to make engines easier to start..It's not like you have to flip them hard....an easy flip will start an engine that's ready...If it balks,there's something wrong.
With DLE's,the reed is the first place to look......once the reed is polished smooth,you can hear it vibrating on slow turns by hand,and it will be good for a long time.
I've had good luck starting without soldering the choke hole-think how much better it'll be when I DO !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarJoe View Post
the engine should not run with the choke closed. If you can do that then you have an air leak like i suggested. did you check the gaskets between the carb and the reeds?
No I've not had a chance to tear it down with the holidays and all. It only runs for a few seconds, I've got to be quick to open the choke or it will die every time. I'm guessing it probably wouldn't do that at all with the choke hole closed. But I'm thinking there is probably something that is letting some air in.

Thanks,

Ben
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
When I try to start my DLE I've got the choke on, but I'm leaving the throttle on idle. I crank the prop about 10 times to try to get the fuel moving, then I hit it with the starter until it kicks, and normally it will run for a little while with the choke on-- usually long enough for me to turn the choke off and I'm ready to fly at that point. I'm going to try with full throttle next time. If that does't fix it then I'm going to try soldering the choke hole. I will go ahead an try that on my DLE 55 since it is easy to get to right now.
I would definetly check the read valves before I soldered the hole closed like the other's have suggested. In fact you may start with just checking the torque on the bolts that hold it all to the engine. Could be as simple as a loose carb connection.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:39 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machzx View Post
I ordered a Tom bowman ring and he sent me a long email with pics saying that most of these Chinese engine require the removal of the reed block and the surface finish is awful
Remove the reeds an sand flat with a piece of 320 or finer sandpaper taped to a sheet of glass
If the reeds do not seal the result is hard starting because the reeds act as a one way valve for the air fuel charge
Can't suck and blow at the same time !!
I haven't tore my motors apart because my rings aren't here yet
I have an rcgf 30 as well that needs help starting too
The smaller the engine the more important that this becomes
You hit the nail on the head.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Another thing is you don't want to over tighten the reed block.
Properly tuned, WOT choked, flips till she starts and dies. reduce throttle to an Idle and open the choke and flip. She should fire
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Alright, I flew Sunday and tried some things, made some observations. I still have not pulled the motor out, but here's what I noticed: I couldn't flip start it on the first start of the day, but after the first start it was fine. I could flip start the remainder of the day. I noticed that it had trouble returning to idle speed for a while, but that seemed to smooth out after a while. It seems to want to dead stick on me after about 4 or 5 flights.

I'm still planning to pull the carb and check the reeds and gasket, but I'm going to wait until I get a new gasket before I do that.

Thanks!

Ben
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:23 AM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jan 2011
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
Alright, I flew Sunday and tried some things, made some observations. I still have not pulled the motor out, but here's what I noticed: I couldn't flip start it on the first start of the day, but after the first start it was fine. I could flip start the remainder of the day. I noticed that it had trouble returning to idle speed for a while, but that seemed to smooth out after a while. It seems to want to dead stick on me after about 4 or 5 flights.

I'm still planning to pull the carb and check the reeds and gasket, but I'm going to wait until I get a new gasket before I do that.

Thanks!

Ben
that engine and all dle's should flip start with no problem...i have a dozen various dles of all sizes...never a problem.... broken in or not..it should start easy.. pull the carb and check the round screen for junk in there..... also, check your low end needle.
yankphan is online now Find More Posts by yankphan
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,477 Posts
Agreed on the LS needle. Dead sticks and hard to start issues can both be attributed to that needle being a little lean....
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, KY, Murray
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
you are way to lean on your low speed needle. my dle 30 hand starts with ease. never dies
tkimbro55 is online now Find More Posts by tkimbro55
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
I'll check the low speed needle tomorrow. And I should have everything to pull the carb and check it out, along with the reeds, by tomorrow, so I'll probably get a chance to work on that this weekend.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
I pulled my NIB DLE 30 down last weekend
I found the cylinder finish was pretty half arsed
All machined surfaces need to be gone over with a flat stone
Spend some time in the reed blocks the sealing surfaces need attention and trek the time to make sure the reeds lay flat
I used 515 loctite on all gaskets for reassembly
It will give a 100% seal
We use this in sled engines for years good stuff and not cheap the down side is it will destroy gaskets if you tear down later
I haven't ran it yet as I need to drill a prop
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Well my gaskets and stuff didn't show up, but I did try richening the low speed by about 1/4 turn and it didn't fix the flip starting issue, although I did like the idle better. I didn't get a chance to work on this as much as I had hoped-- I had an EG Extra 300 50cc that I was trying to maiden and it was giving me all kinds of problems with bad servos. I've got a day off tomorrow, so I should be able to devote some time to it.