HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:26 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
Discussion
Rare photos Wright model B

I hope its ok to post these here. I figured with the 100 years of avation celebration going on some people might find these interesting.

As far as we know these photos have never been show anywhere. A friend at work has the negatives for these pictures. They were found at a garage sale in New York. The old envelope that they were in was labeled with "Atwood aeroplane 1911" I did some searching on the internet and found info about Harry Atwood, a famous flyer from that era.

We are posting them here for all to enjoy.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:28 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
And one more.

enjoy!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:12 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Great pic's!

Excellent photo's! Would have been cool to see some closer detail. An airplane could sure draw a crowd back then! Thanks for sharing.
Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:23 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,536 Posts
Jim, Thanks for the photos, they look great. I've been scrounging for photos of the wright "B" for awhile and have never seen any that good.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Dec 17, 2003, 01:37 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
Thanks, when I scanned the negs, I also scanned them at a very high resolution. That way I was able to zoom in and look around the photos. There are some things that are hard to see in the photos. In the one without all the people, there are actually people in the backround. Also a chair and other things.
The other photo I tryed to zoom in on the signpost to see what it said to try to get more info on the photo. But, I couldn't make anything out.

Jim
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:04 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
I have since found a known photo of Harry Atwoods plane and have confirmed that this is his airplane. Comparison with the known photo to the photo that I have verifies this. The photo has "Atwood" on the lower wing surfaces. It is too dark to see in the photo but once made lighter in GIMP the writing is readable and matches the known photo.

There are other things as well. Notice what appears to be a storage bag on the lower wing to the right of the pilot. It is in both photos. Also the "dirt" along the rear spar on the upper wing center section.

Jim
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
232 Posts
Jim , thanks for letting us have a peek at forgotten history. The crowd was there because they had never seen anyone FLY!

B. Bradley
B. Bradley is offline Find More Posts by B. Bradley
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
Controlled Chaos
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Bradley View Post
JThe crowd was there because they had never seen anyone FLY!

B. Bradley
Pretty amazing to think about that!

Awesome pictures, thanks for posting them!
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,406 Posts
I forwarded these to Bill Hadden who constructs exact reproductions of the Wright Model B at the Wright Experience at:
http://www.wrightexperience.com

Here is his response to me:
Definitely a Burgess-built copy of a Wright B, Burgess being the only ones licensed in the U. S. to build Wright airplanes. Correct name then would be a Burgess F. The take-off picture is available elsewhere, the other may be unique. Good find! Thanks for sharing.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Sep 2012
234 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photo's, Jim... they are excellent! I've got a 1905 Flyer, but the "B" may well be my next build!
Steve
swcushing is offline Find More Posts by swcushing
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:26 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
Apparently this plane still exists.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1397648.html