HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:04 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatrick View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but autotrace almost never works for CAD. Every line it produces will have to be tweaked, and you will end up spending far more time using autotracing than manual drawing. If you doubt me, search and look it up in this forum; all the experienced drafters and cadsmen will tell you the same. Your best bet is to trace with polylines as outlined in the above comments.

My only other contribution to this (having done a lot of these conversions) is that it works better zoomed out. Most people, including me when I started, zoom in too close to the bitmap they are tracing.
Thanks for the tips. I tried a couple of the formers a while back with DeltaCad and it was not too bad but I may go for that DevCad. It has a lot more options and will probably make the tracing turn out a lot better.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:19 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Yup, Autotrace sucks. My wife is a graphic designer/photographer so between all my CAD/CAM programs and her graphics programs I have come up with a process that get's things really close. There will always be a bit of cleanup but I try and keep it to a minimum. My grandfather always used to say "work smarter not harder"
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatrick View Post
. Most people, including me when I started, zoom in too close to the bitmap they are tracing.
+1 on this... I too foolishly zoomed in for the exact pixel to place my dot.....zoomed out is MUCH better (to a point, don't make it a postage stamp ) and close enough for our purposes.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:06 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jun 2006
36 Posts
I'm tracing my first 3 view (Cap 232) and I made that mistake, zooming in too closely. Quickly realized that it was pointless. Life is much improved now.
enahs is offline Find More Posts by enahs
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:24 PM
Laser Cutter Guy
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enahs View Post
I'm tracing my first 3 view (Cap 232) and I made that mistake, zooming in too closely. Quickly realized that it was pointless. Life is much improved now.
What size Cap you gonna build?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jun 2006
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCROBBY View Post
What size Cap you gonna build?
41" electric right now. After I get this one under my belt I may go bigger. It's a shame you can't find many Caps around anymore.
enahs is offline Find More Posts by enahs
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:05 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enahs View Post
41" electric right now. After I get this one under my belt I may go bigger. It's a shame you can't find many Caps around anymore.
Cool,
I have plans and make laser cut short kits for a 50cc Cap 232 Midwing and several others if your ever interested.