Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jun 2006
36 Posts
Discussion
Tracing a 3 view in AutoCAD

What do you all do to get a good tracing of your 3-view drawing? I'm using AutoCAD 2013 and am struggling with getting the scaling correct to ensure everything is center and square. Here is the 3-view I'm using: http://www.f3m.com/3view/Imagenes/fai%20cap%20232.jpg. Right now I'm just copying the jpg file into the program and working with that. Is there a better way? I also have DraftSight and Solid Edge 2D but have been using AutoCAD as I have a free copy through my university.

I'm just playing around right now but would like to eventually get a set of plans drawn for a 41" model.
enahs is offline Find More Posts by enahs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:30 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I usually import my 3-view image and then trace it as well as I can at whatever scale the photo ends up at. Once I have all of the major lines down that I'll need, I remove the photo and then scale my CAD drawing to the size I want using a known dimension (Span, length, chord) Keep in mind that many three views don't match very well from plan to profile view. I'll usually keep the profile view of the fuse and massage the plan view to fit.

A long time ago I had some software that would take a jpeg and convert the lines into a DXF file, but It took so much line cleanup after the fact that tracing it myself was much quicker.

Good luck!

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2006
36 Posts
I could not find an import function in the program but I copied the 3-view and have started to trace it. Not the most fun but I'm sure I'll get better the more experience I get.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
I use TurboCAD,
Look in your toolbar for something like:
Insert
picture
from file
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:15 PM
NE Georgia USA
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
I'm new at this am still trying to figure out a good way to do it.
Here is what I am doing now,,very basic but it is the only way I know.
I converted my 3-view to a pdf. I then used a PDF to .DWG converter.
Lines were very jagged and were hard to read but it gave me something to work with. I then started a new drawing in ACAD (R-14), put the original drawing in the current layer and
then created a new layer for tracing using a different line color. I did not "Explode" the drawing. I then traced over the lines with lines, an arcs. After I had the basic outline traced I erased the part from the original drawing. That is why I did not explode so I did not have a bunch of tidbits to try and erase.
Now that I have the basic outline traced I go back and clean every thing up using grids to keep everything square. I am sure that there is a better way and I am open for suggestions.
redC5 is offline Find More Posts by redC5
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
I usually import my 3-view image and then trace it as well as I can at whatever scale the photo ends up at. Once I have all of the major lines down that I'll need, I remove the photo and then scale my CAD drawing to the size I want using a known dimension (Span, length, chord) Keep in mind that many three views don't match very well from plan to profile view. I'll usually keep the profile view of the fuse and massage the plan view to fit.

A long time ago I had some software that would take a jpeg and convert the lines into a DXF file, but It took so much line cleanup after the fact that tracing it myself was much quicker.

Good luck!

-hutch
This is exactly what I do. Or instead of a fixed scaled photo then scaling after I've done my tracig, I'll import the picture, run a line along something I know what I want the length to be, and scale the line/photo using the line as a reference length.
SRWitt is offline Find More Posts by SRWitt
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jun 2006
36 Posts
Where can I get a good pdf to dwg converter?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
NE Georgia USA
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
go to anydwg.com and try the any pdf to dwg converter.
It works OK for me.
redC5 is offline Find More Posts by redC5
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
FWIW, I've traced, scaled in AutoCAD (2002) and for me it was an exercise in frustration. Once I figured it out, it was like duhhh that was easy.....until the next time I went to do it...

Last few planes I've used DevCAD. It is a real no brainer to scale the raster image, and it has a neat snap to raster features which makes tracing a nice line drawing a LOT easier. I have to turn the snap to raster off for "dirty" raster images, but ones with crisp lines, it does a great job.
Here's a clip showing it's use.

Looks like the new version has an autotrace feature. I don't have this one so I can't say how well it works, but it looks pretty slick....
Just ignore the stuff at the end of the video, looks like he didn't edit the clip.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post

Last few planes I've used DevCAD. It is a real no brainer to scale the raster image, and it has a neat snap to raster features which makes tracing a nice line drawing a LOT easier. I have to turn the snap to raster off for "dirty" raster images, but ones with crisp lines, it does a great job.
Here's a clip showing it's use.

That video looks VERY interesting. I wish I could see what they are selecting on the menus better but it seems to be working. I just might have to give DevCAD a try. Just what I need, yet another CAD program! I've got three now!
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
Download the program from the site and install. It will nag you about registering, but it will work just fine. You can save in it's native format, but can't export or print without registering. Will let you try the trace function just fine.
There is a small learning curve from AutoCAD, (Nothing like going to Sketchup from AutoCAD) but once you see how it does things it isn't bad. It is a lot like TurboCAD from what I can tell.

I can grab a screen shot of the menu options later if you want, but I think once you try it, they will be come obvious based on function and general location shown in the videos
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Download the program from the site and install. It will nag you about registering, but it will work just fine. You can save in it's native format, but can't export or print without registering. Will let you try the trace function just fine.
There is a small learning curve from AutoCAD, (Nothing like going to Sketchup from AutoCAD) but once you see how it does things it isn't bad. It is a lot like TurboCAD from what I can tell.

I can grab a screen shot of the menu options later if you want, but I think once you try it, they will be come obvious based on function and general location shown in the videos
I think I'll do that. Does the program understand AutoCAD commands? I have another cad program where it is usually faster for me to just type in the command than to figure out the icons on the toolbars.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg View Post
I think I'll do that. Does the program understand AutoCAD commands? I have another cad program where it is usually faster for me to just type in the command than to figure out the icons on the toolbars.
It understands commands....some are the same as AutoCAD. You can also set up short cuts and aliases... For example, I have L set for line, M for move, T for trim, etc.....
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:55 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,400 Posts
Try INSERT tab, click, raster image, pick the image you want to ad to a dwg, be sure you got your layers setup. Draw some to get some perspective then scale it to what you need. Use the drawing order tab to keep your tracing lines on top.
If you need a copy rotate lsp lemmie know.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:43 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
. . . If you need a copy rotate lsp lemmie know.
That's built into Autocad already under the polar array command. For a graphical interface with preview, type array or ar at a Command prompt; or use pulldown menu Modify > Array and follow the prompts.

From the command line (faster) type -ar or -array then Enter
Select objects:
Select the objects(s) to copy, then Enter.

Rectangular or Polar array <R>:
Type P and Enter.

Center point of array:
select the center of the array, then Enter.

Number of items:
Type in the number of copies needed (including the original), then Enter

Angle to fill (+=CCW, -=CW) [360]:
Type in the number of degrees (positive or negative) or press Enter to accept 360 degrees.

Rotate objects as they are copied? [Y]:
Type Y or N; and Enter
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick