SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Mike_Then, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:56 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,968 Posts
Build Log
Next up - T-Rex 500

I can understand why my wife will roll her eyes at me when it comes to the hobby. She doesn't give me grief but she also doesn't understand what makes us tick when it comes to the hobby. Just like I don't understand the 35+ pots of eyeliner in her vanity.

You ever buy something in this hobby and regret buying it? You try and try to make it work and it just doesn't do it for you? Read on...

I bought an Align T-Rex 600e Pro/EFL as I wanted to do another scale project. After I bought the 600e Pro, I found out that it wasn't compatible with the fuselage I was planning to buy. Apparently Align redesigned the head in the Pro versions and they won't fit any of RC Aerodyne's fuselages. I was pretty bummed but glad the guy gave me a heads up. I tried turning the 600e Pro into an FPV ship with the help of a friend, clubmate, and very skilled heli pilot but it was way too risky. It was much more difficult than we anticipated and I felt the risk far outweighed the reward. Ditched the FPV project and just tried flying the 600e Pro around, which didn't do anything for me. I sold it to said friend for a very good price and took most of those funds and bought a used Align T-Rex 500 ESP.

"But Mike, you just sold a 600 heli, why the hell did you turn around and buy a SMALLER heli?!" you may be asking? Well, I have a 500 ESP and it's mounted in a Blackhawk fuse. Before that, I paid a fellow RCGrouper named Jake Horky to custom-paint a canopy for me. I only flew it a few times before I got the bug for a Blackhawk. This beautiful canopy is just sitting around collecting dust. It needs to be flown. Second, DJI just came out with a Naza-H flight controller, which is much like the Naza-M multirotor flight controller. I'm very familiar with the Naza-M and have been looking for something to make my scale flying much less stressful. Both of my scale helis are military so they are olive drab. I find myself becoming quite nervous because it's easy to lose orientation. The T-Rex 500 will be the perfect test-bed for the Naza-H... wouldn't be smart to test it out on a scale heli.

Without further ado... the T-Rex 500 ESP!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:57 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,968 Posts
Okay, got a chance to work on the T-Rex 500 today. I'm going through it very carefully and I'm finding loose/missing screws, ball joints not secured properly, and things mounted upside-down. It's always good to go through something very thoroughly if you buy it used!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:15 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,968 Posts
The T-Rex 500 is ready to go, with the exception of the re-maiden flight. I finished the mechanical work and have put a couple of test-hovers on it but I'm still tuning the pitch curves. At first it was too mushy on the collective and now it's a bit too sensitive. The weather looks to be beautiful on Sunday so I'll report back after the flight.

Enjoy the pics, which shows how to properly set 0 pitch at mid stick on a flybarred heli.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,968 Posts
It flies!

I put three flights on the T-Rex 500 on Sunday. It flies great! I was really nervous at first but as the flights went on, I grew more comfortable with it. The tail doesn't hold as well as I'd like but I just need to adjust the gyro a bit more. And it's a little mushy on the collective but it's fine for the kind of flying I plan to do with it. Now I just have to wait until the Naza-H comes back in stock at All e RC and Phase II will begin!
RCG Plus Member