HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:15 PM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Discussion
New Bootlegger redux...

All,
I posted the info below a while back here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...349072&page=25

'Finishing up a new/old Bootlegger. I had one in 1979, won AMA Expert at the '79 Lincoln, NE NATS with it, see the attached 'old' pic... don't laugh at the kid... I stuck this airplane in the ground soon after this pic, the RX quit.

I came about this kit the same way as the one back in 1979, my dear friend Steve Helms gave me the kit this spring when I was at my son's heli contest in Huntsville. As you may suspect, this is a nostalgic and emotional project...

Since I really don't have anything to build airplanes with anymore (I use hammers and files on my helis!) I tracked down someone who I used to fly pattern with 'back in the day' to frame it up. So, Sam Leonard did a fantastic job framing it up and glassing the wood, making it ready for rigging and paint.

I've finished with the wing rigging, with retracts and ailerons hooked up and working. I'm going old school here, one servo with drilled output wheel for aileron differential if needed! Left to do is fuel tank, powerplant and pipe install and fuselage servo tray and rud/nose wheel, elev and throttle pushrods... then paint.

The model will be powered by a N.I.B. OPS F.I.R.E. 'Big Red' .60 and pipe (thanks Rusty!)! and I'm using Dave Brown Southern Pro retracts. Radio will be new stuff, Futaba 18MZ with 7 channel FASST RX and digital servos.

I'm shooting for test flight by the end of the year... see how that goes! I can't wait to hear the scream and go to a CPA/BPA contest in the SE.

Cliff Hiatt
CHiatt is offline Find More Posts by CHiatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Update...

So, as of today I'm ready to paint, everything's rigged and functioning. It's 8 lbs. 2 oz. as it sit on the wheels, there's lots of primer to sand off the wing and tail, weight should stay close to 8.5 lbs. And, the CG's pretty close too.

I will start painting after the holidays, if my paint's still good and I get a new compressor. The one I've had since I built my original Bootlegger is on it's last legs... after it's second tank...

Bootlegger redux is rigged with this stuff:
OPS Speed .60 'Big Red' F.I.R.E. with OPS pipe and header (sorta 'homemade')
Futaba 18MZ
Futaba R617FS FASST receiver
3) Futaba 9151 servos, 1) Futaba 3016 servo, 1) Futaba 3170G servo
Futaba PS-10 regulator and 'big' switch
Dave Brown Southern Pro retracts and Lite Flight wheels
Sullivan 16oz. slant front tank
Sullivan 'gold' cable for throttle and nose wheel steering
Dave Brown F'glass arrowshaft pushrods for elevator and rudder
Assorted clevises and servo connectors

Check out the attached pictures...

Regards, and Merry Christmas!
Cliff
Last edited by CHiatt; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,927 Posts
Cliff,

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing her in paint.

My only concern would be those wheels. I find that if I want to go really light, the DuBro are much better than the Dave Brown. The latter are great on lighter electrics. You will probably notice the mains flattening out a fair bit under the weight.

For what it's worth.

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Wheels...

David,
Thanks for the tip on the wheels... I had considered those. I miss the old chrome hubs though!

Cliff
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:40 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
361 Posts
Steve used to live here in Pensacola, I remember that plane well. He gave my brother one too way back then.

Speaking of wheels I bought out most of an estate last weekend, most of this stuff is from the 40s to 60s. I was trying to get a big box of wheels in the deal but when I started looking at them they weighed a ton. Just 3 wheels on a 60 size plane would add a pound. I passed on the wheels but managed to get about 500 props.

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiatt View Post
David,
Thanks for the tip on the wheels... I had considered those. I miss the old chrome hubs though!

Cliff
Cliff,

Watching with anticipation. I appreciated you sharing your Bootlegger with me.

David is right about the Dave Brown Lite Flight wheels. There are way too soft.

Here was my solution on my Conquest IV.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=203

Thanks again,

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 AM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Progress Report...

Progress report...
Expended lots of elbow grease and a few electrons, and finally got the whole airplane sanded and spray primed. Not sure what Sam used to prime the glassed wood with but it took some work to get it smoothed out for a shoot. It was thick, and brushed on, but did an excellent job in filling in all the glass! Next is filling some pin holes in the fuse (surprised there weren't more that there are!) and a light sand, then spot priming where I go through and a final sand.

I'm going with lacquers and DelClear, since I had everything but primer and white. Got quite the shock at the paint store... white lacquer was $78 for a PINT, while primer was a 'reasonable' $25 for a quart. Here's to hoping my other supplies are still usable... I'll be testing as I go along!

I think I'm suffering from a mental block, I don't remember doing all this back in the day... sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding... building painting stooges, etc. I guess helicopters have ruined me, those come pre-painted these days... for what little that needs painting.

Pics attached...

Cliff
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:23 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Finishing

Yep, I remember hours spent filling and sanding plus the smell of Superpoxy! Interesting that you used one aileron servo. Come to think of it, I never had an aileron servo fail when I used one aileron servo. My paint jig was set up to use the servo mount in the wing and a jig to the engine mount just like yours. I think that RCM published plans to make a jig that you could rotate in order to paint all sides of the model at one time. I enjoyed every minute of building and finishing of pattern models. Of course, all of my finishes were of the"Ten Foot" variety but I loved doing it.
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:04 PM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Painting 'stooges'...

I got a request for info elsewhere, so I figured I should post here too...

For control surfaces; drill holes in 3/8" wood dowel for big T-pins, CA heads in place, press control surfaces onto protruding pins. If they loosen up, then bend the pins a little crooked next time you push the parts on. You fill in the holes with epoxy or CA after painting.

For fuselage; glue/screw a 'engine simulator' plate into slotted end of a 1" dowel (or an old broom stick!), bolt plate onto motor mount. Hang from PVC pipe strapped to ladder or suitable. You can wrap the broom stick or dowel with tape to get a friction fit in the PVC pipe if needed.

For wing; this will depend on how your wing mounts to the fuse, in this case there are two forward dowels and one aft wing bolt. I attached a front wing mount interface plate to the end of another 1" dowel, drilled and tapped the dowel for the aft wing bolt and added a spacer to keep the stooge away from the top of the wing. Again, this is hung off the PVC pipe strapped to a ladder.

See attached pics...

Cliff
Last edited by CHiatt; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added more pics
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:34 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,927 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Any progress?

David
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:53 AM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
Getting there, it's white now!

David,
I did the final primer sand and shot white base coat this past weekend. Also sealed all the wood inside the fuse with thinned epoxy to protect from fuel and etc. Later this week I'll wet sand the white and mask for colors, should be able to get all three this weekend. Should be able to clear the following weekend... weather permitting.

I'll add some pics in white when I get them off the camera...

Cliff
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:53 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,166 Posts
Man, I need me one of them stooges, even sanding a small control line stunt model has turned into a contortionists show.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:32 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,379 Posts
I've used these type stands for 25 years when my eldest son won a Scale contest and it was one of his prizes. Really useful, I now can't think of not using one. Especially with one piece models.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:51 AM
Winter Garden, FL
Joined Jul 2007
33 Posts
It's ready for clear!

More progress...

Finished up with base painting... used, PPG white, House of Kolor Blue Blood red, PPG black and mixing silver for the canopy... all lacquers. Ready for final wet sand and clear. Hope to shoot it this weekend, weather permitting...

Regards,
Cliff
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,927 Posts
Very nicely done Cliff!

A proper replica of your vintage model.

David