SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:54 AM
person
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
Discussion
Building a Flying wing & channel mixing

Hi gents,

I've built a couple of "standard" airplanes with fuselages using the "Armin Wing" method from experimental airlines, and I've been very satisfied with how they fly. However, I'm looking for something with better performance, and the (theoretically) very high lift-drag ratio of a wing appeals to me a lot. I know absolutely nothing about the particular demands or considerations for a wing as opposed to a regular airplane. So I'm wondering if the "armin" wing build method is viable for use with a flying wing?

Also, I've been pretty much just using cheap, simple 3 or 4 channel radios to control the planes I've built. They work very well for simple little planes with a fuselage and a horizontal/vertical stabilizer, but I imagine this wouldn't be adequate for a flying wing, since it requires channel mixing. I'm wondering if there are any decent, affordable radios out there that are good for channel mixing to fly a wing, and if so, are there any guides on doing the mixing correctly, or is it mostly just a matter of trial and error for your particular plane?

Regards,

-DE
derp express is offline Find More Posts by derp express
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
It's possible to use a V tail mixer with your existing radio.Do a search,plenty of info.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Oct 2012
44 Posts
I remember seeing a post on the crashtesthobby.com web site that gave specific setup instructions for a Spektrum DX6i transmitter when using one of their wings. Crashtesthobby sells the Assasin, Roswell, and other wings they have marketed for some time now. Mike D.
VFR Rules is offline Find More Posts by VFR Rules
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:38 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,667 Posts
I use this mixer for my flying wings
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tra_small.html
Connect your elevon servos to the mixer and connect the mixer to ch1 and ch2 on your receiver.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
person
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
Interesting stuff. I'm wondering if there's any viability to a non-mixed flying wing control system. For example, I'm looking at the possibility of a non-swept constant chord flying wing (a plank, more or less), and for that I'm assuming I'd want very tiny elevator control compared to the amount of surface area and deflection of aileron control. Therefore, it seems reasonable to have normal sized ailerons for banking, but very tiny elevator control surfaces with very small deflections (since I'm guessing an absolutely straight flying wing will be VERY pitch sensitive).

Take this guy for example:

Does this seem feasible, or realistic?
derp express is offline Find More Posts by derp express
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:16 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
890 Posts
You can use separate elevator and ailerons as you describe.
With a mixer you will need to attenuate the elevator throws and that usually needs a computer radio with at least 4 mixes ( one more than the cheap FlySky CT6 eg).
However it is very easy to adapt a transmitter to variable rates as here.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:15 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
as they have suggested you can use separate control surfaces. Or a cheap spectrum DX4e has delta mixing programed in the TX.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones