HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
Discussion
Help Identify Castle Creations ESC?

First time post so don't kill me if I FUBAR something about this....
I have come into a few Castle Creations speed controllers that were mixed in with some motors that were supposed to come with used airplanes. Long story short the seller tried to keep the goodies and sent me empty airplanes then fiinally came through with the electronics all in a birdsnest not unlike last years christmas "ball".
Having teased out the mess I have three controllers and three motors of widely different sizes and have no idea which goes with which. No labels on anything. Thanks, by the way, Castle. I only know the controllers are castle because while they don't label ANYTHING on the hardware they are very proud of the cables which proudly display the name of the company and guage of the wire.
Any help would be appreciated. In case I'm breaking some protocol I will refrain from posting pics of all three and start with this one.
Thanks guys.
I am loading the BIG pictures because you may need to see some detail in order to identify them. SORRY in advance if the size of the file crashes your computer...
cwleveck is offline Find More Posts by cwleveck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,865 Posts
phoenix 45...the only one with 2 boards and different wire sizes for input/output
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Hogue; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: corrected, sorry Joe!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
Thank you very much

I appreciate your response. Id be curious to know your oppinion of the controller? And maybe what size motor you'd use with it if you don't mind me asking?
I will post the pics of the other two controllers if I can't match them up on the other post here. Seems like mine are pretty old but I don't get the impression any of this equiipment was even flown... Can't understand why they don't put some kind of label or even marking on the pcb..... If it wasn't for the printing on the wire I would not have even had a place to start looking.
C
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:13 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwleveck View Post
I appreciate your response. Id be curious to know your oppinion of the controller?
I love castles stuff...prob own 20 or more

Quote:
And maybe what size motor you'd use with it if you don't mind me asking?

Thats up to you, I dont remember the cell count rating offhand, but 3-4 cells and 30 or so amps is definitely safe

Quote:
If it wasn't for the printing on the wire I would not have even had a place to start looking.
C

They do label them now, but were no labels then. I can see where its sort of a waste, as most folks stick velcro to them anyway
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
120 Posts
Specs and manual here

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-35.html

All of the product specs and users guides are online
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Last edited by Anthonyr; Dec 29, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:35 AM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,890 Posts
Other way around Dave. Phoenix 45 in the pic. Phoenix 45's have 13ga wire on the battery side, 16ga on the motor side. Phoenix 35's have 16ga on both sides. Same programming...added bonus, you just gained 10A worth of capability!
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:45 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ford View Post
Other way around Dave. Phoenix 45 in the pic. Phoenix 45's have 13ga wire on the battery side, 16ga on the motor side. Phoenix 35's have 16ga on both sides. Same programming...added bonus, you just gained 10A worth of capability!
whoops, sorry, I should refer to previous posts b4 trying to help from flawed memory
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
221 Posts
I too wound up with one of these, and knew form my CastleLink software it was a Phoenix either a 35 or 45...now I know its a 45! Next question is how much "overhead" does this have? In other words how high can I burst above 45 and for how long......?
MikePS is offline Find More Posts by MikePS
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Full throttle amp draw is all that matters to an ESC as that is what it is working with all of the time. There are many posts here about this. As long as your full throttle current draw is 45 amps or less you are OK. If you prop a motor for 65 amps at full throttle even if you are at partial throttle and our watt meter shows 35 amps the ESC is switching 65 amps. Burst current is something that occurs when you rapidly advance a throttle or aggressively increase pitch in a helicopter. Because of this common misunderstanding we do not publish a burst rating for our ESC.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:54 AM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
221 Posts
Thanks Bernie!
MikePS is offline Find More Posts by MikePS
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
I've got another one...

OK so I took a look at one of the sites and poked around looking this time thinking I could figure it out myself, Ive seen a couple that look close but none that were exactly the same....
Please let me know if you have seen this guy. It does have castle creations on it in microscopic print....
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,865 Posts
Quote:
OK so I took a look at one of the sites and poked around looking this time thinking I could figure it out myself, Ive seen a couple that look close but none that were exactly the same....
Please let me know if you have seen this guy. It does have castle creations on it in microscopic print....
thats a phoenix 25
RCG Plus Member