SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2001, 01:02 PM
Santa Maria, CA USA
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
Dare F9F Panther EDF conversion update, anyone?

I just picked up the Dare F9F Panther kit, and I'm wondering how any conversions or potential conversions to EDF are going for people?

For those who are still planning or are involved in a conversion, any tips on fan placement, ducting, etc? I was planning on using a Hacker B20 on an EDF300. And while it may not be the best plane to start off with, it's my first EDF (potentially). I like the challenge and idea, although if need be I suppose I could just throw a S400 in there (but that would be rather disappointing.)

Thanks for any help!

Jeff
Jeff Goldman is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Goldman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2001, 05:12 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,503 Posts
This F9F was designed as a s400 prop job.

I love EDF's but I will bet the F9F will perform better with a lowly 6v S400, DD, with a Gunther 125x110 spoon prop.

Which is no reason not to convert it.

But $ for $, amp for amp, an EDF will not perform as well as a prop.

Spend some $$$$$ and maybe

Keep the crew posted, this'll generate a lot of interest.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Nov 20, 2001, 05:19 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Bob Ruff had one at the field a couple of weeks ago but it wasn't quite ready to fly. He may have flown it by now. I'm sure he has some good conversion data for us.

Bob?? Reports?

Dave Wenzlick
Mesa AZ
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Nov 20, 2001, 06:48 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Conversion

I'm leaving for vactaion in Kansas. When I get back I will put up a web page with the conversion pictures using the WeMoTec 300 EDF. I have not flown yet. Waiting for thee rotor adapters.
Bob Ruff
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Last edited by bruff; Nov 20, 2001 at 07:43 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2001, 07:28 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Did you use the wemotec edf 300?
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Nov 20, 2001, 08:57 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
If he's waiting for rotor adapters then the fan is probably the Wemotec Microfan, which I see on the site that EJF is also calling the EDF300.

I was talking to Ken Williams at K&A Models about two months ago and asked about his small F9F glass fuselage airplane for speed 400. He said that they are working on a verison for the EDF300 that will come with integrated ducting. Not sure when or if that will come out, but it sounds like a better setup, albeit more expensive.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Nov 21, 2001, 09:10 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I wonder how the weights will compare for the built up vs glassed version. Should be very nice either way.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:38 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Any updates on projest?
Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
Cincinnati OH
Joined May 2007
493 Posts
DARE F9F EDF conversion?

Hi:
I am about 80% complete on a EDF coversion of this kit. I decided to go with a HAOYE 51mm ducted fan with a little screamers BL motor. I reinforced the aft portion of the fuselage considerably, but the weight is still in the pretty good range for the anticapted thrust. I am planning on using a LtWt fiberglass covering. My only dilema currently is where to put the elevator servo. I installed a light bass wood battery/servo board in the forward part just under the canopy compartment. My plan is to use a 1100 -1500mAh 3S battery (15-20C). I also used a shaped balsa wood nose cone instead of the obvious prop spinner.

Mike
Sgt Dudley is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Dudley
Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Dudley
Hi:
I am about 80% complete on a EDF coversion of this kit. I decided to go with a HAOYE 51mm ducted fan with a little screamers BL motor. I reinforced the aft portion of the fuselage considerably, but the weight is still in the pretty good range for the anticapted thrust. I am planning on using a LtWt fiberglass covering. My only dilema currently is where to put the elevator servo. I installed a light bass wood battery/servo board in the forward part just under the canopy compartment. My plan is to use a 1100 -1500mAh 3S battery (15-20C). I also used a shaped balsa wood nose cone instead of the obvious prop spinner.

Mike
Hi Mike!
Would you mind to share some pictures???
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat