HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:51 PM
Previously plasmasb...
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jun 2003
509 Posts
Rave
Friends don't let friends abuse planes.

Ok...I lied we do. I mean we have to learn somehow right? This past weekend was definitely the most damage I've done to planes yet! On Saturday I went up to Knapps Castle (aka the Ruins..Its called that for good reason!) and took a Weasel and a Moth, it was actually an unplanned trip and was what I had in my car. I decided a few months ago that the moth was going to be my DS trainer, on saturday I learned more about DS'ing then I have in all the times I've tried. Keep in mind my best circuits were after I taped everything back together...again. I'll let the pictures explain the rest.

THEN...on sunday, well sunday was meant to be a building/repairing day because it was raining. Whilst sitting in my shed turning my 48" Moth into a 44" Moth , I looked out and saw blue skys when only 20 minutes before it was raining. Thats Santa Barbara for ya! I called the wind meter and sure enough it was blowin 17MPH up there. Now, I now 17 doesn't sound like much but 17 at the Ruins is like 20-25 elsewhere. I then called surfimp and we head up to the Castle where Kai was already flying. It had toned down quite a bit since I called however because we were quick charging Surfimp's P-51. I waited until the conditions were right and chucked my MiniBlade off! Man that thing was absolutely ripping the sky. And the sound a hollow moulded plane makes is beautiful to the ears. Then it came time to land. I quickly realized I had never flown anything quite this fast here and was not completly confident on my landing skills with that thing. I've always flown at Ellwood which is a great place to fly but kind of spoils you with a huge abundance of landing area. I put my flaperons up or down or whatever while trying to land it. I think I probably tried to land it 5 times before I put it down. Unfortunately while trying to land it I sort of hurried the landing and accidently put it in a bush. Live and learn. Anyways I am now becoming accustomed with repairing the leading edge of a moulded glider. Again, I'll let the pics explain the rest.

This happened to both leading edges so if anyone wants me to show on the other leading edge how I fixed this let me know I'll continue it in this thread.

Dustin

EDIT - Sorry about the pictures if they aren't showing up, I'll fix that when I go home tonight.
Doostin is offline Find More Posts by Doostin
Last edited by Doostin; Dec 16, 2003 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:07 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,973 Posts
Dustin,

I am sorry for your planes but it looks like that you did a good job to repair it. When you flew your Mini-Blade and ripped the air, I was thinking that "Dude, what an exciting sound it is! That's definitely what a man should have one!! Damn, I want to have one!!" But after I realized that how difficult to land it (especially at the Ruins), I thought "well, may be a year or more.. , that's too hard for me right now"....

Well well, I aslo hurted my XR so bad at that day. It was my first time DS and it was soooooo much fun, even XR is not good at DS... But after several hard crash, my elevon was broken and I just figured out that the servo is dead too. May be the gear inside the servo is broken...

But anyway, that's definitely an exciting day.

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:14 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,407 Posts
Well, it looks like a pretty good repair. The next plane needs to have a 4 servo wing so you can crow that baby! Dont give up on the mouldies.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:33 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,980 Posts
Dustin,
Do you have your MB set up as a spoileron, so that the ailerons go up for landing? It's tuff to dump enough lift with flaps. Your MB is a FAASST ship! As you say the "Ruins" are aptly named and I've fed the hill quite a few ships. Have you ever checked out "Eliminator" on the frontside on Gibralter Rd? If you screw up there, well.......Ragfliers take off from there, it's at the top of Rattlesnake Canyon, above Gibralter Rock. The lift can be so vertical that you barely feel any wind in your face and all you hear is a shrieking sailplane. Foamies only though because there is not really a LZ.
Kai- I have a XR also. Great Wing! what kind of servos do you run in it? Maybe I can help out with a spare.
Droydx
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:41 AM
Previously plasmasb...
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jun 2003
509 Posts
Droydx,
Yes, I've never known the name of that spot though. Is that what the ragfliers call it? I know what you mean about the vertical lift. I went there once, without a plane unfortunately, and the few paragliders that were up there were way up there. And the wind felt like maybe 5mph. I can see why it is a perfect spot for them, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to take off if you dont have 20mph winds keeping you from getting out over the ridge. I'll have to take my modified moth there when I finish it.

Oh and no, I did not have it set up as a spoileron, so that would make landings easier eh? I'll have to try that next time.

Dustin
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:01 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,980 Posts
Dustin,
I think setting up as spoileron will help. Also, you fly on a Flash 5 radio? Does it have compensation for camber/spoiler changes (I have a Flash 5 also but use it on wings only, so I can't remember) If you can get the spoileron on the left stick with good elevator compensation dialed it (test it at Elwood) you should be able to scrub off speed on the upslope base run, let off for your top turn to final, and dump all lift as you turn back. If you are too "hot" let off the spoilers and do a go around. If it is the 3 position switch, it's still do-able, just not as easy to control.
I'm loading up and heading up the hill right now.
Hey, how come you don't just carve another chunk of EPP for your Moth wing tip and goop it on?

Droydx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
I know that with the flash 5, you can put flaperons on the flap stick with elevator compensation, so should be able to do spoilerons by mixing it upside down (in fact the flaperon mix might just be spoilerons mixed negative). And yes, for a moldie with half span ailerons spoilerons are the way to go. Flaperons will just cause it to tip stall.

You want to give yourself as much throw on the spoilerons as you can without running out of aileron response, and then actively fly the left stick to control your glide path. What I usually do is let it go barrelling downwind, roll it over 90 degrees, throw full spoilerons and make a really hard turn to upwind. It dumps a huge amount of energy in the turn because it's generating very little lift. I turn the spoilerons off as I straighten out to final upwind leg, and then feather them on and off or anywhere in between, to control the decent. Turn them off when you very close to the ground so it doesn't just go in like a rock when it gets below the wind (think of spoilerons-off the same as turning the flaps on to lower the stall speed).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2003, 03:10 PM
Previously plasmasb...
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jun 2003
509 Posts
Droydx,

I have an eclipse 7 so yeah I have it exactly set up how you were describing with elevator compensation, I was just using it as flaperons rather then spoileron. Once I get it all set up again I will take it to Ellwood and try it out with spoilerons. That'll be in a couple weeks though because I am heading to Colorado this Friday to visit my sister and board a little. Actually if I get it finished before I leave, should be easy enough and will give the fiberglass plenty of drying time, I should be able to fly next tuesday cause I am taking all of the next week off. Will you have either tuesday or wednesday off next week? Maybe you can come out to Ellwood and help me out with my landing skills a little. Only if you have time and wind cooperates of course. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dustin
Old Dec 16, 2003, 03:32 PM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Ian,
Thanks for your description on how you use spoilers.
Im going to have to try your technique, flying and using them like I use the flaps on my Hornet just doesnt seem to work too well, I got too slow behind the hill last week and only just made it in. Your method makes sense.

Andrew
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Dec 16, 2003, 06:05 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,980 Posts
Ian,
Good points on the spoilerons, esp. shutting them off close to touch down. I run my spoilerons/crow at around 60 - 70%. Its amazing how much control you still have, especially with rudder, ruddervator active. The LZ at the particular spot that Doostin and I are talking about is front slope and has lots of lift. You really have to dump LOTS of lift to bring it down. I add copious down elevator on my spoilers. I'm glad to hear that the Flash has the ability to run spoileron off the left stick. Gotta read that instruction book again - e gad! c'mon Hitec help us out here
Dustin,
I'm on vacation next week too. PM me and we'll hook up.
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2003, 06:30 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
It is really simple to set up on the Flash 5X. I use it on two of my planes.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Dec 16, 2003, 06:47 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,980 Posts
Reading the instructions is a good place to start, I presume?
Droydx
The Complainer, aka:
Whinning Dog
mental note: <must first locate instruction book>
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2003, 07:41 PM
Retired Slope Racer
SoCal
Joined May 2003
2,540 Posts
Deamon is right on, you really NEED spoilerons to land a ship without flaps, especially a molded 60" slope racer!

The spoilerons work really really well on the MB. Please use them...or not...we do sell replacement parts :-)

Nathan Woods
www.SoaringUSA.com
nwoods is offline Find More Posts by nwoods
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:32 PM
bitten by the slope bug
Oak Park, CA
Joined Nov 2003
241 Posts
Nathan-

Speaking of the mini blade... when do you expect to have the new carbon fuses in stock and ready for sale on the website?

Thanks
@lex
Aneigher is offline Find More Posts by Aneigher
Old Dec 19, 2003, 01:29 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,931 Posts
1.5 Blade Carbon Fuses

Alex:
They came in today!!!

All carbon, 12oz tube, version II fuses... $99+10 shipping..

Good Air!
Bob
Bro is online now Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor