HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
I have a tonneau cover on my truck too. It does a good job keeping the wind off the models in transport, but it does equally well to inhibit the ability to stack models in the truck bed. I haven't found a way to fit more than two parkflyer size planes back there at a time - fully assembled, anyway.

I fabbed up a PVC rack to hold the models' wheels just high enough off the truck bed to keep them from rolling around, with room on either side in the far rear for a couple micros.
I like your simple x frame. I came across a shorter one in my search. This would work if your planes are different sizes.

mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
This one is interesting also, just not sure how it will handle highway speed?

Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
What do I do with a big biplane(Pitts) that's bottom wing overhangs the sides of my truck bed? I need a rack that will keep the wings from flying while I am going down the road at 60mph.. Plus I need the tail and tail feathers supported and secured. Before I bought the plane I was lead to believe the wings came off for transport...Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:21 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
This one might do it by adding something for your tail.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
When I first moved to the US, I found this fantastic sort of vehicle. It would carry all my models - sorry, no photos - my bikes, pretty much anything we needed to shift. Everything was inside too - nothing getting blown around out in the slipstream. Okay, not the fastest on the road, but that was fine as it was good enough to sit in and move down the road in. Seems it was called a 'minivan' - though after English cars, the 'mini' part was a bit of a laugh...

Also got to drive what had to be the worst vehicle I'd ever taken out on a road. Overweight, top heavy, terrible ride even over suburban roads. Oversteer or understeer - it was too bad on the road to even figure out which, if either.

For those who don't know understeer from a cup holder - never mind, just don't go around 'S' bends very fast

It was, apparently, a little better if you were something like a builder or plumber and picked up a lot of stuff - maybe that's why it was called a 'pick-up truck'?

Now we have an estate car - sorry, 'station wagon' in local-ese - which carries all my models with ease. I toss the fuselages on the back seat or in the rear footwells, depending on how big the model is. Did I mention that my personalised design/build service makes all my models fit my car of the moment? Wings sit atop two bungee cords strung between the grab handles in the back seat area. If feeling idle, can put an entire model or two in one piece in the back by folding the back seat down. Support gear goes in the back, easily thanks to the tailgate and if I don't want to leave my camera bag out in the open, it goes under the lift-up rear floor. Spousal unit still fits in the passenger seat and we don't need stepladders to get in .

Okay, it's a Prius V. Terrible disappointment - it only does 40MPG and goes at exactly the same speed as the rest of the traffic jam it lives in round Chicago

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
56 Posts
So true, Dereck. I'm single, so a minivan is hard to justify, particularly since they get pretty bad gas mileage. Even a smaller minivan like a Mazda5 is unimpressive in that way. My friends with kids do have a minivan, and the versatility is pretty awesome. You can carry just about anything inside -- planes, bikes, furniture, etc. I wish people weren't so image-conscious and insecure about their vehicles so we'd have more interesting choices.
wingz is offline Find More Posts by wingz
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
mcnowhere, I like the way your racks setup to swivel like that. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with a flairside so my bed walls are only 46" apart and my Pitts has 2--60" wings. So I'm looking at the bottom wing a smidge above the bed rail and the top wing 12" above that. I can make the rack where I can put the wing on it and stack a covered PVC section on top of it and extend the back for the horizontal stabilizer which is about 20" long and needs to be in a pinched holder also. I don't want this thing flying or anything a non flying plane should do. Maybe Santa will read this and bring me a $3000.00 covered plane trailer and while he's at it a new Ford Rapter ..Dave/zeezee ...box of 6S/4800/65C lipo's, etc.
Last edited by zeezee; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with a flairside so my bed walls are only 46" apart and my Pitts has 2--60" wings. So I'm looking at the bottom wing a smidge above the bed rail ..Dave/zeezee ...box of 6S/4800/65C lipo's, etc.
Zeezee, what about using 45's instead of the 90's so the planes are angled?

Name: rack.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 28.0 KB
Description: 45 instead of 90 put the tail or the nose up in the bed

Then you could have the nose or the tail slightly above the bed rail and sideways if your truck bed is 60 in long?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Yea, that may work better but still the tail(Big rudder) is gonna be sticking up in the wing and it would be like holding your hand out the window, unless...it was in a fixture ...good thinking, thank's...Dave
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:28 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
LOL look at this pic

Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Wow, carefull with those turns.........
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,200 Posts
There's a pretty neat solution for a 106" span Focke Wulf Condor at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=44
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Nice twin .but I'll bet ya it wasn't transported like that, just assembled. My biggest problem is how high up my top wing will be if it parallels the truck, then the rudder (paper plate size) sitting up getting blown sideways if I put nose down in bed sideways. I probably don't have long to worry about this as I am sure Santa has my temperature controlled airplane carrier and new Ford Raptor truck as well as 1/2 ownership of his RC store coming here for Christmas morning to go under the cypress tree. Dave/zeezee
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
new Ford Raptor truck as well as 1/2 ownership of his RC store coming here for Christmas morning to go under the cypress tree. Dave/zeezee
Hope you get your christmas wish. If not what about your bibe upside down with the tail at the bottom and prop and wheels at the top of bed rail?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, NY, Ronkonkoma
Joined Jun 2012
86 Posts
I drive a Hyundai Elantra... I invented a practice called "Airplane Tetris" to get them all in... I get teased mercilessly at the field for it...

I'll take a picture the next time I stack 10 (or more!) planes in that car...
FrankSteffens is offline Find More Posts by FrankSteffens