HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,537 Posts
Discussion
Transporting planes to your field

i'm trying to get ideas on how to get more planes to my field ! i have an extra cab pickup, i have to pile all my planes in the limited space behind the seats. kinda looking for a safe way to maybe carry them in the bed...without sliding around. i have a Tonneau cover...so that keeps the wind off

any pics or tips are helpful
KCinNC is online now Find More Posts by KCinNC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Made some PVC racks to fit the plane, or adjustable to fit several.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I use my Gator, but I am only going 1/3 mile out to my field airstrip. It's great for my really big planes cause I can keep them together. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,432 Posts
I've been thinking about this one from Sandancer blog

UP-DATE 6/23/2011:~Transport Rack~
Because I wanted to be able to transport at least 3 planes at a time, 1 fixed wing (B-25/P-47/Samantha P-051), and my other 1-Piece winged planes (Starmax P-51/Corsair/Stuka/T-28/Cessna 182, etc.) I came up with a PVC rack that would help me with that endeavor. I borrowed the idea from MRFASTPHIL's rack, and applied my own alternative tweaks. I built it entirely out of 3/4" PVC so all I have to do is slide it in the bed of my pick-up when I'm ready to head for the field. I also left the option so I could add more racks on the top if I should need them?
I secure it in place with a couple of bungees tied onto an adjustable bed bar at the front of the bed, and a couple of small sandbags on the rear corners.
I am happy to report that it will withstand speeds exceeding 60MPH!

I've been asked for a parts list showing the lengths for each runner so it fits in the bed of my Chevy PU. Other vehicles may vary?

90 Elbow (8)
45 Elbow (4)
Tees (31)
End Caps (4)
10" Trap Runners (4) *The 4 padded sections used to hold the fuse in place.
Couplers (4)
1 1/2" Nipples (18)
2" Nipples (4) *Used between the 2 upper wing runners.
6" Nipples (2) *Used between the trap runners.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,537 Posts
great info mcnowhere....that gives me some ideas for sure !

i like the foam padding tip
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,432 Posts
Or maybe just foam like these...

From this shp forum
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnowhere View Post

From this shp forum
Beautiful plane!
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,537 Posts
hey...attach the foam mounts to a sheet of plywood....heck i could get 3 or 4 planes in there !! good stuff man
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
I have a tonneau cover on my truck too. It does a good job keeping the wind off the models in transport, but it does equally well to inhibit the ability to stack models in the truck bed. I haven't found a way to fit more than two parkflyer size planes back there at a time - fully assembled, anyway.

I fabbed up a PVC rack to hold the models' wheels just high enough off the truck bed to keep them from rolling around, with room on either side in the far rear for a couple micros.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Aug 2007
3,537 Posts
do they stay on the rack going down the road if you hit a big bump ? that's what worries me...i have to go down some country roads to get to the field
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:44 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
I have the worst road, believe you me. It's .8 of a mile down to the highway and there's no shortage of potholes, ruts, washboards, and half of the road's surface is boulder which is never smooth. In fact, just this afternoon I put in a solid 3 hours of jackhammering them arrogant rocks stickin' up in the road.

So the models see their share of jarring around back there but they never jump the rack because I secure the props to the crossbars on the rack with some Velcro.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I like that PVC rack with the way you have the wing trapped between the foam and the side wing racks. I was fine with even my 80" Pawnee and 60" Mustang with my tonneau cover just sitting on a couple big pool towels. Now I have the new 60" FMS Pitts that I love but the wings don't come off and it won't go in my truck with the cover rolled shut. Pete said the wings came off, easy ..I may make a PVC rack like yourn and trap the wing so it won't blow around going 60mph around these old winding and bumpy country roads. Yours gave me some good idea's on how to pull it off. I have a home field, but it's not the same as goin to the field on Sat. and just hangin out with the guys, fly or not..show off your new toy's!!!! I can make one for the bipe to sit on top and the Pwnee in the bottom middle with the wings on the sides...cool ..I like!! goin to the hardware store in the A.M. No flyin tomorrow, I'm drivin down to New Orleans with my grandson to go to the D-Day museum..super cool, they have a 4D theater there that puts you in a B-17 on a bombing mission over Germany that will make you swear your in a real bomber getting hit by flak and rocks you around and you can even smell the gunpowder and fuel it is so sweet! They also have the Higgins landing craft there that was built in NOLA back during the war for D-Day. Do y'all know that the landing boats and the PT boats(109)were made out of plywood! I was one of the shipwrights who did volunteer work on the replica that's in the museum and also worked for the Higgens Boat Co. under the Halter Yachts name who bought it after the war for 13 years as a master shipwright and cabinetmaker...Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Beautiful plane!
Not mine but thanks Kimber. I just finished my V4 of the 300 shp and was also looking for ideas to transport. Here is 2 pics of mine.

Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
do they stay on the rack going down the road if you hit a big bump ? that's what worries me...i have to go down some country roads to get to the field
Sandancer put sand bags on the pvc and some bungee over the planes to hold them down.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnowhere View Post

From this shp forum
Hey thats cool.

Most of my planes are 1-piece, But for the MPXT I have a PVC rack.
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23