SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:20 PM
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfhill View Post
For others reading this and considering buying this quad from GLB, I'm quite satisfied with the rest of the quad. I've read a post from another buyer of this quad stating that his GPS worked as delivered. One can only hope!
Overall I'm very pleased with this kit from GLB. There is a lot of learning but I knew that going into it. It's a great flying quad with great features without the big price tag.
dm-digital is offline Find More Posts by dm-digital
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:26 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
As I understand it, this board is functionally the same as the Crius SE and thus one should only need to select that as the board type in config.h. It shouldn't be necessary to define the sensors separately. No?
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
As I understand it, this board is functionally the same as the Crius SE and thus one should only need to select that as the board type in config.h. It shouldn't be necessary to define the sensors separately. No?
You only need to manually define sensors if you are running a custom board. ITG3200 (gyro), BMA180 (Accelerometer), HMC5883 (Magnetometer) and BMP085 (Barometer) are the sensors used on this MWC2012 board from GLB which I believe is the same set of sensors on the Crius SE.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:18 AM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
I changed my IMU board to FREEIMUv035_BMP and didn't see much difference... probably because they use same sensors haha. Still getting a slight wobble. Props are balanced from what i can tell. Lowered the low pass filter for gyro and I'm not sure if it helped. How far can I safely lower it?

On another note, I was at the dollar store today and found some large "fillable Easter eggs" which turned out to be a perfect fitting canopy. Turned out so nice I think I'll go back and get the different colors

Name: IMG_1249.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 224.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1245.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 193.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1251.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 203.7 KB
Description:
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Get a Tupperware onion contianer for around $10, super strong and it has a lid for easy open/close access. I personally think they made them for Quads lol

Name: IMG_6368.jpg
Views: 75
Size: 239.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_6369.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 251.3 KB
Description:
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
That's pretty cool. How did you mount the top on?

The egg stays on nice with zip ties but like you mentioned, cannot open to access board. Any suggestions? Still trying to think of something but for a dollar I cannot complain haha. At least dollar store sells zip ties too
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:49 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
I like the 'egg'. Sadly, the nearest Dollar store to me is nearly 500 miles away!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPriapism View Post
I changed my IMU board to FREEIMUv035_BMP and didn't see much difference... probably because they use same sensors haha. Still getting a slight wobble. Props are balanced from what i can tell. Lowered the low pass filter for gyro and I'm not sure if it helped. How far can I safely lower it?
Yeah if it's the same sensor set then the flying characteristics will be the same. I lowered the low pass filter to 20Hz. I wanted to run it at 42Hz but it would still twitch. Unfortunately these frames are known for vibration issues and the only thing that might help is running CF props but that's a little more money for props than I would spend on this quad. After tweaking the PID settings I do have it flying quite well with both 9" and 10" Gemfan props.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
Here are some flips from tonights indoor flying.

Indoor MultiWii quadcopter flip (0 min 48 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
dm-digital, nice flying!

I received my new GPS H/W yesterday. Been trying to get it to work, but no luck. The UBLOX U-Center program indicates that the GPS receiver is working fine. It even gets a reasonable fix inside my house. I've flashed the NAV board with the sketch that you recommended, I've flashed it with eosbandi's sketch. It seems both are much the same. I've checked the config.h to be sure it's set for the UBLOX GPS. No matter what I try, nothing works.

Whenever I connect the NAV board to the FC, the ACC sensor data goes completely bonkers! My simple guess is the I2C addresses are colliding, but the source indicates no address conflict. In any case, I'm completely out of ideas.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
I like the 'egg'. Sadly, the nearest Dollar store to me is nearly 500 miles away!
If you can't find one I can send you however many you want and whatever color as long as you cover cost and shipping (1.07$ each and I live in LA, calif). I'll be going back to the dollar store in next few days anyways so I can pick up a few for you. This goes out to anyone really .

Happy flying
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:00 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Not sure why I can't edit and add a pic so here's a continued post of the colors...

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361991519.521789.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 146.3 KB
Description:

Happy flying
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,771 Posts
Good News!

Some good results today.

I decided to approach my GPS problem fresh today. First I used U-Connect to set the GPS configuration with pm-1's config file: it loaded with some errors, but I left the GPS module as it was set. Then I re flashed my NAV board with pm-1's sketch. I updated my MultiWii v2.1 sketch with the recommended patches. Originally, I re flashed my FC to pre2.2 to avoid the need for this. I then re flashed my FC with the patched v2.1.

With the NAV board and the GPS powered up, the NAV board did indicate a GPS lock, so I claimed a partial success.

Next I connected the NAV/GPS to the FC and powered up the system. No success at this point. The config GUI still showed the ACC values were being trashed: I2C problem remained.

After a lot of checking of the I2C connections I was able to determine that the supplied cable from the NAV board to FC was assembled wrong: the data and clock wires were reversed. I also determined that I had labeled those pins on my FC board wrong (one of the reasons that I didn't find the cable problem earlier).

I then found that the cable that came with the NAV board that I destroyed was assembled correctly and if I had only used it instead of the new cable, there would have been no I2C problem.

All is well now, the config GUI indicates that the FC is getting good GPS data. Success!!

FlyingPriapism, as luck would have it, when I made my monthly trip to Costco in Coeur d'Alene, I spotted a 'dollar' type store and was able to pick up a couple of eggs. I am going to make a 3D printed base to attach them to the 450's frame. If it works out OK, I would like to be able to offer the bases for sale. Of course, one would need the eggs. Since that store is $35 in gas away, I won't be back that way until after Easter is over and can't buy anymore eggs myself. So, if you're willing, could you pick up as many as will fit in a medium Express Mail box and I'll send you the money for the eggs and postage. I have a PayPal account. If that won't work for you, my bank claims to be able to send money to anyone. I think I can also send to a cell phone number. You could PM me your personal information, or better yet, send it directly to my email. RCGroups PM system supports direct email.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
nfhill, glad you got things working. Now that you triggered my memory I do remember getting I2C errors and had to correct the cable.

As you could prolly see by the video I'm having a blast with this inexpensive quad. I think I have things dialed in pretty good. I still have to spend some time getting GPS hold to work well but that's something I'll work on when the weather is better. When the weather is good enough to fly outside I like to spend my time throwing it around! I'm really not liking these snow storms we've been getting lately and the once a week indoor flying just isn't enough. Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll start seeing some warmer weather.

I also have my camera gimbal set to quickly mount or remove so I can go from aerobatics to aerial video with no major work. It's just becoming a good all around quad.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:51 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Sure thing nfhill. I'll see how many I can get my hands on when I make my dollar store run this weekend. I tried fitting as many eggs as I had (7) into a medium priority mail box (same size as express I believe) and they all fit, but I'm guessing only 8 would fit nicely without pressing them down to make it fit. That's assuming you want the whole egg...the other half is depicted below;

Name: photo.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 160.6 KB
Description:

Just top's (the clear half) I bet I can fit 16-18. Not trying to make this complicated haha . Just throwing that out there is all. Let me know. I'll PM you my number.