HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Question
GoodLuckBuy F450 Question

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here but I have been lurking for some time. A friend and I have been looking into multirotors for a little over a year. When getting my first quad I decided to go with the v929 and have been very happy with it.

Now I feel like I'm ready to take the next step and get a bigger quad to strap a camera on and shoot some HD video. I've looked into building one using parts from HobbyKing, however, I have never soldered and the whole prospect of building one is a bit intimidating.

The quad in the link below looked like a good half step toward flying bigger copters. I have a Turnigy 9x on the way in anticipation of making the move to more of a hobby grade quad.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/f450-quad...assembled.html

I was wondering if anyone here as any information on this thing. I had a buddy look at it and he said that he knows those motors are pretty good, and I know from research that the MWC 2.1 is supposed to be a decent controller. Do you guys see anything wrong with this before I plunk down the money?

Thanks every one!
czar_roland is offline Find More Posts by czar_roland
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
22 Posts
hi czar_Roland

same as me, I am also interested in GLB multirotor ....
but I would like hexa F550
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/f550-hexa...assembled.html

while waiting for the experts to explain the product of GLB multicopter

(sory my bad english, I use google translation)

regards
fajaranakku is offline Find More Posts by fajaranakku
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
This company is fine to deal with but if you have a problem with anything you may as well forget about anything close to or even resembling customer service. I bought from them once, but never will again. Their advertising and description of some products is false. If you want more info and proof PM me.

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. In my quest to find a decent fpv platform for a beginner I stumbled on the Ifly 4, which I can get form Hobbyking for a decent price. So, I think that is what I'm going with in the end.
czar_roland is offline Find More Posts by czar_roland
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2012
117 Posts
I ordered that exact item on 11-30 and it arrived on 12-18. Unfortunately my TX is coming from China through HobbyKing so I cannot give it a try. That said, it is well assembled, good soldering of the ESC's etc. I had to pick-up an FTDI to communicate with the board, but once that was hooked up there was no trouble loading the firmware. It was there already loaded, but I wanted to go through the procedure to learn how.

So far, the only problem has been with the GPS, there is a post over on the Multi-electronics forum about this. I have a flashing red light on the 12c Nav board and no GPS signal to the GUI.....
VytasandRio is offline Find More Posts by VytasandRio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:11 AM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Any updates on your f450? I'm thinking about buying one as my first brushless quad. How much tweaking did the mwc need out of box?

Thanks
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:43 PM
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
I built one of these over Xmas. It's a good quad for the money but it's definitely not for the beginner. It says fully assembled but only the frame is built and ESC's wired up. The rest is many parts that need to be installed. One important thing missing is the FTDI unit as you need it for all the set up of the FC, I2C NAV unit and GPS.

As there were no instruction and being new to quads I spent many hours looking up information online. You don't need to re-flash the FC to get it in the air but at the very least you'll have to spend some time tweaking the PID settings. If you want to get the GPS working you need to program some new settings into the GPS module, re-flash the I2C NAV unit and re-flash the FC to get everything talking to each other.

As there is no documentation included with the kit it took a lot of research and experimenting to get it flying the way I wanted. I estimate I put 20-25 hours to get it to it's current flying state and I still don't have the GPS totally dialled in as the weather hasn't been good here.

The MWC is a nice FC but does take some work to dial in, especially if you want GPS hold and RTH. That's just the nature of it. I would say this kit is better for people that like to tinker as there is a lot involved to get everything working and get the quad flying well. If you want a quick/easy set up this is not the kit to get.

Hope this helps with decision making for anyone looking at this F450 kit from GLB.

Darren
dm-digital is offline Find More Posts by dm-digital
Last edited by dm-digital; Feb 10, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:18 PM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,769 Posts
I have this quad on order. I don't anticipate any problems with the FC as it's just another Criuis SE type. The GPS may be another matter. Are you willing to share your experience with the GPS? Are you saying that you needed to reprogram the GPS module and/or the 328p interface card?
nfhill is online now Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
@nfhill Yes, I had to reconfig the GPS. Plus you have to flash the I2c unit. Basically out of the box the GPS won't communicate with the I2C NAV unit and the NAV unit won't communicate with the MWC. You need to get everything talking to each other.

The GPS programming information came from this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724694
Be sure to use the V2 instructions as thats the GPS that ships with this GLB kit.

As my board had none of the connections labelled I had to track down a manual. I used this one. http://www.computerheld.nl/MWC2012-eng.pdf
It also has instructions for flashing the flight control board.

After a lot of time adjusting PID settings I also had to enable #define ITG3200_LPF_20HZ in config.h as the default 256Hz make it a little twitchy. These F450 frames are know for vibration issues and the 20Hz or 42Hz setting work best with this frame.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,769 Posts
Thanks for the help. Sadly, I've got the better part of a month to study all that. Today I decided to connect my GPS to the FC just to see if by chance it might work. Couldn't hurt, right? Unfortunately, I plugged the connector to the FC I2C header one pin off and when I powered the FC up, smoke and lots of heat. That's $40+ gone in an instant! I knew I needed to avoid that 5v pin and very carefully put it there anyway! Since all of China is on holiday for another five days, it will be three weeks before a replacement can be expected to arrive.

After reading through the suggested thread, I have a few basic questions. I'll ask them in the other thread if you would rather.

First the simple one: My FTDI to USB adapter has a 5v/3.3v jumper. Is it correct that it should be set to 3.3v to supply the nav board? I'm reasonably sure that NAV board is a 3.3v board but I don't see a regulator on the FTDI adapter to reduce the 5v from the USB cable to 3.3v. I really don't want to blow another one!

Next, is this the correct connection from the GPS module to the FTDI header?
GPS-gnd to gnd (duh!), GPS-txd to rxi, GPS-rxi to txd, and GPS-VCC to vcc? Or, should the GPS-VCC go to 3v3? I'm really asking about the FTDI side or the TTL side. I've done a lot of reading about MultiWii and I don't think I've ever seen any comments about when to use one or the other.

I delt with the lack of printing on the FC by printing up some of my own and gluing them to the board! Not that that prevented me from putting the connector on the wrong pin!

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:12 AM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Which IMU board did you enable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm-digital View Post
After a lot of time adjusting PID settings I also had to enable #define ITG3200_LPF_20HZ in config.h as the default 256Hz make it a little twitchy. These F450 frames are know for vibration issues and the 20Hz or 42Hz setting work best with this frame.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
@nfhill
Sorry to hear you let the smoke out. I've done that the odd time working on various electronics. Always sucks.

My FTDI is set for 5v and I used it that way for GPS, NAV and MWC. Not sure if that was the proper voltage to run but no smoke was let out.

I can't remember if TXD and RXI were matched up or switched. You can try both until you get it communicating. Just make sure your VCC and GND match up!

I don't know if I mentioned this before but if you look at my F450 you will see a reflector around the GPS antenna that I made up with metal foil tape. There is so much noise coming from the electronics that the GPS doesn't see any satellites. I went from no GPS lock outside to good GPS lock in the house.

@FlyingPriapism
#define FREEIMUv035_BMP

With my current set up with camera gimbal I pull 1500-1600mah from a 3s2200 pack after 5 minutes on 9x4.7 props.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm-digital View Post
@FlyingPriapism
#define FREEIMUv035_BMP.
Sweet thanks. I got the same glb model without gps. Being new to multiwii, I guessed and tested around and was using bobs 10odf and got a stable enough hover. Will try the freeimuv035 tonight.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:49 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,769 Posts
dm-digital, in my career as an EE and over 40 years of RC stuff, I've smoked, bashed, and pulverized my fair share of stuff. However, it never seems to get any less frustrating. When I put the plug on the I2C header, I was consciously trying to NOT put it on that pin! Oh well.

That tip on the foil EMI shield for the GPS is possibly the most useful one I've seen. And, thanks again for the link to that GPS set up thread. I've read a lot of MultiWii posts and never come across that thread.

I checked my USB-FTDI dongle, it puts 5v on the FTDI header no matter what position the jumper is in, or no jumper at all.

On the plus side, I now have an extra cable to hack up to make the FTDI connection to the GPS module. If I hadn't killed the thing, I would have had to cut the one cable and put a connector in the middle.

For others reading this and considering buying this quad from GLB, I'm quite satisfied with the rest of the quad. I've read a post from another buyer of this quad stating that his GPS worked as delivered. One can only hope!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPriapism View Post
Sweet thanks. I got the same glb model without gps. Being new to multiwii, I guessed and tested around and was using bobs 10odf and got a stable enough hover. Will try the freeimuv035 tonight.
All defining the IMU really does is predefine the on board sensors rather than defining each one individually. There are a lot of different boards commented out but only a handful of sensor combinations.

For a while now I've wanted to play around with Arduino code and this project has allowed me to do that.