HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
971 Posts
Ditto on the excellent service and advice. I made the repair on the mini pet motor and him up and flying once again. Hopefully, you will grow and prosper through the upcoming year. I have indeed fallen in love with the quads to the detriment of my helicopters.

gentle ben
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Anything RC related that could be tested (no kits), and no adult toys
[/url]
I never paid any attention that Banggood sold that stuff on there. I just checked. My God, now I know why they are called Bang Good.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Postman finally got here...makes me feel like an impatiant 9 year old...

I'm not gonna spend time on the packaging...it worked with no damage to any of the pieces or parts. Some bubble wrap around the Tx would've been good, and MO don't use scotch tape to hold the 202 to it's cardboard base, if it goes somewhere cold the tape fails...mine was ok though. It came with 2 batts and 2 full sets of spare props...nice. I ended up using my Walkera batt charger because one of the ports on the stock 202 charger was a bitt loose and wouldn't hold contact...I'll mess with it in a few days. As you can see, mine was packaged with a Massive RC business card and a Brachs Cool Ice candy. Nice touch MO...

I wanna talk about the first three batts...

I dunno if it's the Tx software or the Rx software but all the way to 80% rates the 202 is butter smooth. This while 'cautiously' flying around a 10 x 12 room. The only other quad this size I fly is the QRLB V1 now with substantial stock changes via the Devo 7E. The 202 has a 'heavier' feel to it in the air. It just 'feels' more substantial while flying than my LB does. It's nice to know that the 202 was checked by you MO before shipment because the Tx trim settings were still there. Cheers and good on ya mate. I've come to realize that 'trim' is a relative term. Much more important inside while trying to achieve that holy grail of 'hands off hover' than while flying outside. It does seem to have a need for trim, on 2 or three channels. But so does my LB V.1. I'm really anxious to get it outdoors...the way my winter's going that should April or March. More impressions and vids to follow.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Hey BD,

You received the standard #4 box we'll use as the standard box once we receive stock. I like that box as it reduces the amount of packing needed and fits all the transmitters just fine. The WL Toys TX needs to be propped up a bit to fit. We'll bubble wrap the TXs and wire tie the quads to the cardboard insert once the wire roll comes in. I'd like to see about getting a custom molded plastic insert or pre-made cardboard insert that's quad-universal as it's a bit time-consuming to do it by hand.

As with the Mini Pets, we're finding out what items need QC, and it looks like the chargers need the charging pins tweaked so they make better contact when the battery is inserted. The good thing is that the charger charges to the proper voltage of ~4.1 volts. WL Toys is coming out with a new charger that will do both Walkera\Micro Losi as well as E-Flight, so we'll order those as soon as they're available. Make sure you guys use some Elmers glue or something on your LED holders so they don't come off on a hard crash. We thought about super-glueing them on, but that would make it a PITA if you had to replace a motor or LED. Actually one nice mod you can do is trim down the LED holder so that it exposes more of the LED, making it much more visible.

The need for trim comes from the motor mounts not all being symmetrical. I've looked at Banggood's vids and pics and you can see it on them as well on both the V939 and V202. I'm having James address WL Toys and Benma about the issue. I think it's the only thing that prevents it from hovering like the Mini Pet hands off. Hands on, it goes where you tell it to in predictable fashion and with precision. It's without a doubt the smoothest thing I've ever flown. Don't try to trim at 20%. You need to trim her at least at 40% rate.

None of you guys have reported back on the flips yet! (I know some of you think fllps are over-rated) Switch that puppy to 100% and just blip the stick. Since I always fly in 80% mode, I'll know that after I'm done doing flips at 100%, I'll just count 4 clicks on the rate button and I'm back to 80%. If you fly at 60% just count 3 clicks.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,291 Posts
Heatshrink

Heatshrink works on those leds as well.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
I wonder if you could preshrink it on a tube or something and the slide it over the LED to avoid any 'uh-ohs' you would get trying to shrink it on the mount.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,291 Posts
Yea, now that you mention it..... I bet a heat gun would really ravage an arm.

Just for the record, I used a butane soldering iron. It has a small outlet on the side of the tip that works for items like this, plus it also has a heat gun tip, pencil sized, that would work as well. Pretty sure I used the heat gun tip. The soldering iron comes from radio shack. ~$30.

I would not use a normal "Hair Dryer" style heat gun to do this. You could destroy the whole arm.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,291 Posts
Heat shrink Ver. 2.

I got a piece of heat shrink that fits the led base perfectly. I cut it to length, then used my butane soldering iron to just shrink one end. Then I pressed it onto the LED. It's perfect.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Thanks for the update Bill, what size HS did you use?

Those of you who like the Mini Pet's rubber motor protectors, those protectors should fit any 7mm motor, they just slide on. I think if you wanted to adapt them to the V202\V939 and don't mind losing the height from the standoffs, you can simply cut the standoff down, remove the stock motor protector, and pop the Mini Pet's protector on. I'll see if I can get these from our supplier as seperate units.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
995 Posts
OK you wanted flips.... You get flips

V202 Flips.m2ts (2 min 33 sec)
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Thanks URC

Ben, this one's for you (MP motor guard on V202 motor):

I haven't checked if there's enough battery tray clearance, but I'm pretty sure there is.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
393 Posts
I flipped my v202 on my sons play table today on 100%, I wasn't even trying lol. I also get this occasional movement when hovering near hands off. guess it is one of the 6 axis doing overtime. I really am enjoying this quad. It is not very loud either I might add. LOVING IT BABY !!!
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
The 202's battery cage is the same size as the QRLB's, even though the LB is a bit smaller overall. Batteries are the same polarity, and virtually the same size with the 300 mah's being just a tad thicker. For all intents and purposes though they're interchangeable.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,291 Posts
Heat shrink

Quote:
Thanks for the update Bill, what size HS did you use?
When held so it's round like a straw, it's 3.5mm or 5/32 inch diameter.

Squashed flat, the heat shrink is 6mm or 1/4 inch.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
971 Posts
Quote:
Thanks URC

Ben, this one's for you (MP motor guard on V202 motor):

I haven't checked if there's enough battery tray clearance, but I'm pretty sure there is.
Thanks for the idea. About 3 AM I had one. Hot glue. Like the old Brylcream slogan: "a little dab will do ya". You can add weight or carve it and shape it very easily with a sharp blade for fine tuning ballance. It plants the quad on my polished computer desk even better than the rubber bumpers of the Mini-Pet. Not sure about the shock absorption but if I don't like it easily removable to stock.

PS got your PM Just now. I really need to pay more attention when I sign on.

Thanks again for all your advice and help entering this new, (to me), style of flying.

Ben
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben