HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
I wanted and ordered the X4 because of its ability to fly in the wind and now it looks like we may have us another option. Sweet!

-Pat
Today I took the V202 higher than I've ever taken any quad, including the X4. It must have been at least 200 ft high. Up that high I was afraid I wouldn't be able to bring her back down as it just glides on the wind. I had to reduce throttle really low. This feat in conjunction with the multiple flips got a passerby and his son really interested. I gave him a business card and if he decides to buy, I'll make it a point to have him come here and verify my story.

The H36, V202, and 6043\6044 can all handle brutal winds. The Mini Pet can handle medium winds and will survive in brutal winds, but isn't as fun as the others as it's more of a struggle. The V202 is the most graceful of the bunch.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Today I took the V202 higher than I've ever taken any quad, including the X4. It must have been at least 200 ft high. Up that high I was afraid I wouldn't be able to bring her back down as it just glides on the wind. I had to reduce throttle really low. This feat in conjunction with the multiple flips got a passerby and his son really interested. I gave him a business card and if he decides to buy, I'll make it a point to have him come here and verify my story.

The H36, V202, and 6043\6044 can all handle brutal winds. The Mini Pet can handle medium winds and will survive in brutal winds, but isn't as fun as the others as it's more of a struggle. The V202 is the most graceful of the bunch.
Ahhhhhh! MO you're killin me! I'm a freaking mouse click away from canceling my BG order and snagging-up a V202 from you guys. I'll wait to see what kind of money were talking about once you've updated your website.

Thanks,

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Ahhhhhh! MO you're killin me! I'm a freaking mouse click away from canceling my BG order and snagging-up a V202 from you guys. I'll wait to see what kind of money were talking about once you've updated your website.

Thanks,

-Pat
Hey Pat, the 202 RTF package is priced at 49.95... I believe MO will be posting the prices for the spares and all soon... will keep you updated
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Excellent,

That sounds like a very fair price to me. Will these be test flown before being shipped to us? Thanks James.

-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Hey Pat, the 202 RTF package is priced at 49.95... I believe MO will be posting the prices for the spares and all soon... will keep you updated
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Excellent,

That sounds like a very fair price to me. Will these be test flown before being shipped to us? Thanks James.

-Pat
I'm glad you brought this up:

When we first got the Mini Pets in, I would say the first 5 or so orders we looked at the quad itself, made sure there wasn't anything obvious, spun each blade to make sure they didn't bind, screws were tight and then moved onto the remote, made sure all the buttons worked and finally flight-tested them, rebinding once or twice, and trimming them for hover.

Our first DOA was Stonecutter's Mini Pet, it was one of the first orders to go out. It was a personal embarrasment for me as it really led to the credibility that we flight test each quad.

His transmitter wouldn't bind to his MP. We troubleshot it and couldn't get it to work. I recalled reading something about someone else having the same problem, did a search and came up with this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=7

Sure enough, it turned out the plugs inside the TX was barely connected to the pins and must have come completely loose during the trip up to him. After this incident every single remote (that's 150 remotes) was opened up where we found some had hot glue applied to the pin connectors, others didn't. The hot glue is nice but a bit Overkill, the connector will stay on so long as you push it on all the way. That's when we discovered that some of the screws weren't snug, which makes a big difference in how easy the trim buttons are to depress. Part of the testing process is that each MP gets rebound at least 4-5 times.

In flight testing the quads, some would hover perfectly hands-off, others would need trim. We've found that some of the booms weren't inserted flush, which is now obvious as you'll see the boom retainer plastic bulging. In addition some props aren't even, one side being higher than the other, many are 1-2mm off, which affects hands-off hover as Jim has eluded to. This is a simple fix as you can just bend the prop side that's high and re-flick it to see if it spins true. If the prop is horribly skewed, we don't even bother and install a new one. The MP uses rubber standoffs and you can't just snug the screws like you can the other quads. The scews need to be tightened so that the circuit board sits flush against the rubber mount but doesn't squash it (Aarnav pay attention to this when you replace yours). I'll tighten it down so it squashes the rubber mount so the mount gets seated and then back the screw off.

The point of this novel is that we don't just flight test anymore. We can't afford returns so we are now QC because QC doesn't really exist in the majority of the manufacturing plants that make these quads. I can tell you with confidence that I know of no one else that does this (as a reseller). The QC process is at least 15 minutes per quad. Initially each quad was QC'd as they were flight-tested, now they're pre-QC'd assembly-line style as it's more efficient timewise.

The QC process with the MP has evolved to what it is now.

There won't be the same learning curve with the V202's, but I'm sure we'll refine the process as we get more acquinted with them. The WL Toys remote may have a screw not snug, but it's not going to be critical as it is to the MP remote because the WL Toys buttons don't mechanically rely on the circuit board being snug against the outer shell.

The V202 quads on initial observation don't have all 4 motor mounts even with the booms as I mentioned earlier. The Scorpion canopy only has 1-2 mm of clearance with the blades, so when you crash, make sure the canopy is seated, because if it isn't, you'll get blade-canopy interference. I don't think we'll be able to get the hands-off hover with the V202 that we can get with the MP. The default trim with the V202 seems to take into account the Scorpion canopy as I find that we have to apply alot more trim with the beetle canopies installed.

The other thing with the V202 that you existing V939 owners will notice is that the LED plastic cups can pop off in a crash. We'll probably either super glue them on, but you're going to see that white residue from them.

Just wanted to give you all some insight.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Indoor flight test showing off flips. Altitude control is very nice as you can see when I try to get a camera close-up:

WL Toys V202 micro quadcopter UFO Scorpion (4 min 18 sec)

I'm in 100% rates for the flips and then just count 4 clicks and you're back to 80% which I fly for the rest of the video. You literally hear me banging on the sticks to the the flips, I'm not depressing a button. Notice how I hit the wall twice and recover.......I'd like to say that's cause I got skillz, but the V202 is really nice recovering. I said before it may be hard to do hands-off hover, but hands on hover is almost effortless due to the excellent rate programming by WL Toys.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,662 Posts
MO,
Yep. My MP from BG had the same issue with loose connectors inside the Tx. I bent the pins for a tighter fit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=56
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Just wanted to give you all some insight.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Nice video MO...those flips look snappy and very responsive. I do not like the scorpion canopy though...just me. You're previous vids in those substantial winds were impressive as well. Too many micro quads...gettin tougher to keep track of them all.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
MO,
Yep. My MP from BG had the same issue with loose connectors inside the Tx. I bent the pins for a tighter fit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=56
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Thanks Jim, I can't remember if it was originally your thread or the other one that I read first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Nice video MO...those flips look snappy and very responsive. I do not like the scorpion canopy though...just me. You're previous vids in those substantial winds were impressive as well. Too many micro quads...gettin tougher to keep track of them all.
BD I'm with you, I personally don't like the Scorpion canopy but others seem to prefer it to the beetle canopy and younger flyers definately prefer the Scorpion.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,599 Posts
yes, that superuglylamecheesy canopy was a dealbraker for me too, I have thought when I saw it, OMG whatta lame quad is this....I didnt have any information about it, only the "first impression"... I think with a 1SQ like canopy it could be a best seller...even with a 9X compatibility....(I truly cant understand the lack of that...... )
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
yes, that superuglylamecheesy canopy was a dealbraker for me too, I have thought when I saw it, OMG whatta lame quad is this....I didnt have any information about it, only the "first impression"... I think with a 1SQ like canopy it could be a best seller...even with a 9X compatibility....(I truly cant understand the lack of that...... )
The 1SQ is worse. The scorpio canopy might be ok if sprayed solid black. I'd prefer something like a simple dome myself.

Like this:

variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
MO I forgot earlier but also wanted ask how it's yaw rate was I didn't see any piros in that last video and am curious.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
This is why we ordered the beetle canopies as well so when you purchase the V202, you can opt for the scorpion or beetle canopy. The quad performs better with the beetle canopy, which is why in most of the vids, you'll see me flying with it. It doesn't prevent you from making your own canopy using a hole puncher and a plastic jello or fruit cup single serving container or even making your own from the plethora of PDF canopies out there on the web and laminating your own.

Frankly the canopy could be pink for all I care. My order of preference in looking for a quad is in this order:

1) Price
2) How a quad performs overall in all conditions
3) Can it fly at night \ is it easy to see for orientation
X) Looks

Now I know that this list could be totally reversed for other flyers, and I know for younger flyers, looks goes from my bottom of the list to their top.

I never look at the body for orientation. Blade color scheme and the distance the props are out from center make the biggest visual clue as to which way a quad is pointing for me. The green and yellow\orange contrast really make it easier to tell orientation. At night it's obviously the LED setup that makes the biggest difference.

I rarely fly my X4 anymore......it's just not versatile enough.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
MO I forgot earlier but also wanted ask how it's yaw rate was I didn't see any piros in that last video and am curious.
The yaw rate is perfect in my opinion. Some may scoff at me for never owning a Turnigy 9X. With the V911, after the resistor mod, and using long stalks, I've never had an issue with the WL Toys programming on the stock transmitter.

You'll notice that my camera is set more back in the hallway than my earlier videos. I've done this so the quad is more in frame than out, but as a result I'm having to fly the quad.......from around the corner, and I'm looking back and forth between the quad and camera so I don't have full concentration, so I fly in more boxlike fashion as it helps me keep concentration better.

You can tell that they worked hard on the V202 rates. You'll constantly hear me and Bill say how smooth it feels.....it's because the transition from zero to full throw is very linear......not all-or-nothing with Hubsan-like programming.

I like both styles but the V202 is more relaxing. If I want to show that I can go from point A to pint B with direct mechanical ride-on-rails precision, I'll break out the 6044. If I want to go from point A to point B with speed AND grace, I prefer the V202.

It's like comparing an 84 Corvette with it's rattle-your-teeth ride to a modern C6\C7 where you still have great handling, but without the harsh ride.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Videos don't really convey the differences between the quads too well, I've noticed. My U816 and the MiniPet feel like very different animals. One a hyper chiuaua The other a mellow house cat.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman