SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Noob
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Jan 2012
60 Posts
Well guys we have winds today of 20 - 30mph and gusts of 50mph first thing i thought of was let's see how she does in this! Well I'll tell you it wasn't pretty but it does have the power to fight through.. I ran a whole battery and it really had me on my toes. Of course though I would not recommend this because one wrong input and this thing would have been down the block. Happy Monday all!
Irock1985 is online now Find More Posts by Irock1985
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:34 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I did some more "testing" today with my new X1 and V202 outside.

I got to say these are my two favorite quads that I've tried (the others being the V949, V929, Mini-Pet, and U816).

I feel like I'm slowly climbing a quadcopter ladder. The X1 is more stable and quick than my V949 (which is much more stable than my V929), but suffers from a sluggish roll/pitch (much like the MP, but worse).

The V202 I finally got try outside enough to get a better feel of. I tried using my MP props and was very pleased. Funnels are very easy outside once you master the aileron (Still need practice for inside, however). I liked doing them closed the ground. Best of all was how "on rails" it felt in fff. Plus I think its as fast as my Udi U816 (which kinda feels obsolete now). The V202 never felt like it was going to have trouble stopping, banking, or descending. In other words, I had complete confidence that it would always return and obey (like a good dog).

My current quad ranking:

V202
X1
V949
Mini-Pet
U816
V929

By the way I just got my GWS props for my V949 so we'll see if that upsets my rankings. Plus I have the X4 on the way. Stay tuned.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:26 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
By the way I just got my GWS props for my V949 so we'll see if that upsets my rankings.
Anxious to hear about the v949, as I have one on the way.

Quote:
new X1
I am not familiar with the X1. Does it go by another name?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:32 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,659 Posts
Syma X1. Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797545

It's a MQX and v929 sizes quad.

I bound the X1 to my T9x. Needed to set expo to -100%. Proceeded to fly it agressively. It won't crash due to confused gyros. Once I start losing control...I input the correct counters on the stick and will recover it. Instead of the quad getting confuse and crashing like the v929, the X1 will recover. So, very stable in that sense.

But very sluggish roll and pitch. Good for newbies I suppose. But drives me crazy. The -100% expo helps with that tremendously though.

The good thing about that "sluggishness" is the X1 is very smooth in it's execution of your command. Basically, I feel it comes with too much positive expo programmed in. And lots of pilots fly with positive expo. And it's always the recommendation for newbies, to dial in positive expo.

Therefore, I think the Syma X1 is good for newbies.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:37 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
oh right. Thanks.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
394 Posts
The v202 is just simply amazing! Haha yesterday we had 5-7mph winds and I wrang the piss right outta mine. I fly it at 60 % rate a whole lot. To funnel it. Lift it in the air to around 20 ft high. Reverse then right aileron while feathering rudder/throttle.... It looks so funny zinging across my coldasac . The 6 axis gyros stay so locked and true that I got easily bored for a couple secs. Honest! the precision of it flying back and forth. it is freaky alien like?!?!?!? maybe
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3
Last edited by Smoothcruizer3; Jan 07, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
The X1 is tree magnet. I've crashed into trees today three times today. But luckily I've been able to retrieve everytime. I'm not kidding, you better allow 20' or so for this thing to stop. In fact, I've developed a technique of using the flip function as an emergency brake, which kinds helps. It does, however, get about twice the flight time of my V202. Both of them are pretty much wobble free.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:54 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
I'm still flying my 202 in my 10' x 10' x 7' (clg hgt) room cuz of snow on the ground. I'm more impressed every battery I burn through it. Talk about nimble...at 80% rates it's nice and aggressive and at 100% rates, sans flippin, it's flat out twitchy but still with that 'heavier' feel than my tricked out QRLB.

I'ma post a 7' ceiling height flippin vid real sooon...so far me record is 42 flips in fore, aft, port & starboard without crashin on one battery...I know talk about boring

I wish we could see what the 202 would be like with a programmable Tx...
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock1985 View Post
Well guys we have winds today of 20 - 30mph and gusts of 50mph first thing i thought of was let's see how she does in this! Well I'll tell you it wasn't pretty but it does have the power to fight through.. I ran a whole battery and it really had me on my toes. Of course though I would not recommend this because one wrong input and this thing would have been down the block. Happy Monday all!
Pretty impressive. On this Saturday's outing we decided to give the X4 some air time and the V202 was clearly the top dog again. I thought the X4 was going to keep its crown as wind warrior, but the V202 bested it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I did some more "testing" today with my new X1 and V202 outside.

I got to say these are my two favorite quads that I've tried (the others being the V949, V929, Mini-Pet, and U816).

I feel like I'm slowly climbing a quadcopter ladder. The X1 is more stable and quick than my V949 (which is much more stable than my V929), but suffers from a sluggish roll/pitch (much like the MP, but worse).

The V202 I finally got try outside enough to get a better feel of. I tried using my MP props and was very pleased. Funnels are very easy outside once you master the aileron (Still need practice for inside, however). I liked doing them closed the ground. Best of all was how "on rails" it felt in fff. Plus I think its as fast as my Udi U816 (which kinda feels obsolete now). The V202 never felt like it was going to have trouble stopping, banking, or descending. In other words, I had complete confidence that it would always return and obey (like a good dog).

My current quad ranking:

V202
X1
V949
Mini-Pet
U816
V929

By the way I just got my GWS props for my V949 so we'll see if that upsets my rankings. Plus I have the X4 on the way. Stay tuned.
Anxious to see what you think of the X4 and V202 compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcruizer3 View Post
The v202 is just simply amazing! Haha yesterday we had 5-7mph winds and I wrang the piss right outta mine. I fly it at 60 % rate a whole lot. To funnel it. Lift it in the air to around 20 ft high. Reverse then right aileron while feathering rudder/throttle.... It looks so funny zinging across my coldasac . The 6 axis gyros stay so locked and true that I got easily bored for a couple secs. Honest! the precision of it flying back and forth. it is freaky alien like?!?!?!? maybe
I've got some funnels on video, but it's ony brief due to 15mph or higher winds. I'll have to wait until we get some calm air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
I'm still flying my 202 in my 10' x 10' x 7' (clg hgt) room cuz of snow on the ground. I'm more impressed every battery I burn through it. Talk about nimble...at 80% rates it's nice and aggressive and at 100% rates, sans flippin, it's flat out twitchy but still with that 'heavier' feel than my tricked out QRLB.

I'ma post a 7' ceiling height flippin vid real sooon...so far me record is 42 flips in fore, aft, port & starboard without crashin on one battery...I know talk about boring

I wish we could see what the 202 would be like with a programmable Tx...
42 flips is pretty amazing as they suck up some juice. Were you at 100% the whole time or did you switch back and forth?
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:33 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
42 flips is pretty amazing as they suck up some juice. Were you at 100% the whole time or did you switch back and forth?
100% the entire time...I'll be honest I got really lucky that flight. My previous best before 42 was 28. The tricky part is not overcompensating after flipping, that usually ends me up on the carpet. Another tricky part is not taking much time between flips, as you mentioned battery goes quicker flippin.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
WelI I'm out of commission. My front right motor stopped working after a crash. I was doing the upside down toss thing again and it veered off into a wall onto my hardwood floor. It had stopped working a little bit last night, after a crash into some bushes, but started working again somehow. Now nothing. I've been flying it without a canopy so maybe one of the motor wires broke? Also, I took off the bottom piece near the feet and it looks like the bottom of the motor is pushed out a little (in comparison to my other one I checked). So maybe I've busted the motor?

The way this thing is set up it looks like I'll have to remove the fc to change out the motor arm (once I order one). I can't tell which plug is attached the front right motor at the moment. Anyone know?

Lesson learned: Fly with a canopy and the capri straw mod.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,353 Posts
Motors

Quote:
WelI I'm out of commission. My front right motor stopped working after a crash. I was doing the upside down toss thing again and it veered off into a wall onto my hardwood floor. It had stopped working a little bit last night, after a crash into some bushes, but started working again somehow. Now nothing. I've been flying it without a canopy so maybe one of the motor wires broke? Also, I took off the bottom piece near the feet and it looks like the bottom of the motor is pushed out a little (in comparison to my other one I checked). So maybe I've busted the motor?

The way this thing is set up it looks like I'll have to remove the fc to change out the motor arm (once I order one). I can't tell which plug is attached the front right motor at the moment. Anyone know?

Is it possible to push the bottom of the motor back up?

I need to tear a motor apart to see what they are like inside. Actually, I need to shoot one with lube, run it, then open it up to see what it looks like. See if the lube is doing it's job, or if it's damaging. Hmmmm.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I did push the bottom back up. Still doesn't work.

I just looked and I don't think MO sells complete motor arms. Oh noesssss. Soldering.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:41 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,277 Posts
Quote:

Sorry to hear that v, MO has been trying to alert us to the importance of motor protection, I still haven't done it, but maybe your experience will motivate me to just get it done.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
1/100th of a penny of material probably would of saved me. I was getting too cocky with that upside down flip thing. Those MP props set up pretty high on the motor pin. Beware.

MO, you should sell those slices of capri straws 10 for a dollar or something. Easy money.

I do all the damage to my quads flying in my house. I almost wish I had carpet now.
Last edited by variantman; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:20 PM.