HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:17 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,971 Posts
I actually like the music you put in your videos. The editing I don't like are ones made for marketing purposes where you get 2 second shots of the quad cut and pasted together and the slow motion flips that sensationalize it vs the raw footage that shows how tight or how many flips one can do in succession.

I really like your piloting Stone, wish I could get that good on day. Both of these videos show the nice banked turns in both close and large quarters that really are the forte of the V202.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:28 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
my 202 came today. yes it's a good flyer..trimm back 6 and right 4. any way to not have to do that. I still am disapointed about not 9x compatible.

in the bottom left corner of the tx it says 939 and 929 RTF TX. yet it still did not bind I thought I got a special tx but no luck. no more wl for me. 3 quads 3 txs.
14 AA batteries
tonytester
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
my 202 came today. yes it's a good flyer..trimm back 6 and right 4. any way to not have to do that. I still am disapointed about not 9x compatible.

in the bottom left corner of the tx it says 939 and 929 RTF TX. yet it still did not bind I thought I got a special tx but no luck. no more wl for me. 3 quads 3 txs.
14 AA batteries
tonytester
Every single one that we've recieved that's been tested and sent out needs alot of back trim and a varying degree of right trim. It's something in the programming.

They reused the shell of the V911 and just haven't gotten around to making a V202 LCD cover.

I can sympathise with the number of remotes. It would be nice if they just had modules that could be swapped amongst the WL Toys remotes. I wonder if some sort of mod could be done.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
I can sympathise with the number of remotes. It would be nice if they just had modules that could be swapped amongst the WL Toys remotes. I wonder if some sort of mod could be done.[/QUOTE]

I've asked that same question a good hacker should be able to make a killing making those.
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:55 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,461 Posts
Hi Gents,
How are you finding the yaw rates on the V202? Even on 100% the V202 I received is among the slowest of all the micros. Otherwise it flies OK and the auto flips are surprisingly tight on a fully charged lipo. Mine required 10 clicks of back trim and 8 clicks of right trim to keep from a tendency of quickly wandering and allowing a straight up take-off. With no trim set at the 20% rate setting a Noob would have trouble countering the front left wander and probably do a ground flip. I removed the funky scorpion canopy and used my standard grey protective foam for these tests. It sounds like others are having the same trim issues with the V202. They either missed aligning the centering steps in the flight controller code or the Tx if this is a common issue. I even tried to compensate by adding shims to angle the flight controller towards the drift, but could only cut the required Tx trim in half with about 5 degrees of board tilt. MO mentioned the motor holders miss-alignment. I can see that the way the arms are held with varying tilt in the center piece and some motor holder tilt that is not the same on each arm/motor holder, causes the motors/props to have a tiny bit of anhedral thrust, which tends to make a multicopter less stable in a hover. That shows up in the V202 requiring more pitch/roll pilot stick correction to keep in place. That would make FPV extremely difficult. That should be a relatively easy correction/mod.

Even as it is OEM it is fun to fly like all the other micros. Also as others have noted, it is a shame that WLToys is not using the FlySky Tx/Rx protocol with the V202.

V202 Technical stats:
- Processor: ARM Mini 54ZAN(? could not find data sheet) with 16Mhz ext crystal
- Rx: Beken BK2423 Transceiver
- Gryo/Accelerometer: Ivensense MPU6050
- FET: A22T

Micro quads comparisons 101

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 03, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:09 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,234 Posts
Jim, the exceptionally slow yaw was the first thing I noticed, that's the one and only weakness that I can see. I am learning to turn with a lot more aileron than I'm accustomed to when I fly the v202, especially indoors. I think if wl toys can strengthen the yaw in their next version (if that happens), the v202 will dethrone the x4 as the best indoor quad at any price.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, KY, Owensboro
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
sry dbl post
SlyKYFox is offline Find More Posts by SlyKYFox
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, KY, Owensboro
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
The yaw rate is the same for me, a lot slower than i'm used too(still fun to fly though). How long of flight times are you guys getting? I noticed after 6 min, just hovering around, the pack comes off at 3.7v. I don't think you should take them lower than that correct?
SlyKYFox is offline Find More Posts by SlyKYFox
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,971 Posts
This is actually more stable than my Mini Pet for FPV\808 cam. It is squirrely getting off the ground but once she's up in the air, she's alot easier to handle. You'll notice all my previous videos were over the basketball court and near-zero wind conditions.

I felt confident enough with the stability of the V202 that I took it over the lake out back. It was only about 15 meters out over the lake but I wasn't worried about the spiral of death, although there was some wobble occasionally from gyro action. You can see there's a bit of wind going on as well. I could never get 808 cam footage in any kind of wind previously. I also have never taken it as high with an 808 cam.

I still need to work on reducing vibration, even YouTube's stabilization editing couldn't remove it.

WL Toys V202 first 808 cam attempt (2 min 2 sec)

More good news is that the new quad boxes came in:

This will save a tremendous amount of time in packing.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:08 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Gents:

I have an rc eye one and 949 on the way. I would like one more to round the fleet. I want something I can really push to the limits and bash around (rc eye one will be babied and the 949 is for night flying primarily).

I was considering the v202 but am now hesitant based on the most previous posts concerning yaw, trim, and performance. Would you guys still recommend the v202 or one of the following instead? v202, Hubsan X4 (or qr-1), MJX X100, Vitality H36, HJ 997, LB V1, LB V2 ?

Thanks,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,971 Posts
Bombay, look at the videos. I can tell you that pushing to limits you can automatically remove the MJX X100, HJ 997 and Vitality H36. Now you many be wondering why I threw the H36 in there..........it's a much better performer than the other two, but I can push it to its limits flightwise, but not when it's concerning durability.

So the remaining candidates are the V202, X4\QR1, and LB

The LB is the winner with the right controller but doesn't have motor protection (someone correct me if I'm wrong and the LB has motor protection now). The Hubsan is a good performer as well but if you're pushing something to its limits, distance usually comes into play as high rates of speeds usually dictate it. If you want X4 performance that you can fly outside of a midget's world, I suggest getting a 6043\6044 instead. The Hubsan is plagued with physical deficiencies as well: No motor protection, loose chasis, very temperamental.

As I've been saying repeatedly, once you have the V202 hands-on, it's a joy. I know of no one that flies their quads to the limits hands-off, but I'm still trying to improve my Jedi skills.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:53 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was not familiar with the 6043\6044. Another clarifying question: did you eliminate the v202 for me? if so, on what basis?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,085 Posts
v202

Not seeing a solid bias on the v202 other than 2 clicks forward. Moving the battery back and forth seems to affect left and right trim more than forward and backward.

Also, a fresh battery trims to the right 2 clicks, but before long, it's trimming left 1 click (25C).

A 15C battery though, had a clear bias to the left, then shortly there after, it decided to trim to the right. I clearly hear a buzzing though so it's very possible this is a prop/vibration issue.

I made a leveling table for binding level. :-)
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was not familiar with the 6043\6044. Another clarifying question: did you eliminate the v202 for me? if so, on what basis?
No I didn't rule it out, but actually recommend it. And obviously my opinion may be a little biased as we sell the V202, although our shipment of 150 X4's should be here within a week.

The original LB with a proper controller and the RC Eye One are the kings of the quads based strictly on performance. The Hubsan and V202 trade blows and ultimately comes down to your preference in flying style. Robotic precision of the X4 or the smooth precision and grace of the V202. The hands-off hovering of the V202 should only be a problem for beginners. Everyone else should have auto-thumbs enabled. Beginners let their quad fly them. More experienced users fly their quads. This is why the delayed response of the Mini Pet is perfect for beginners and even those who prefer more leisurely flight.

Then you have to get into durability, replacement parts, availability, night time flying, outdoors distance flying, etc as the above just concerns pure performance.

Throughout this entire thread I've been trying to explain how precise the V202 is, but that contradicts the hands-off stability and the veering off issue. The V202 willl stand still............as long as you're the one telling it to. It won't do it by itself. It wants the rider to hold the reigns. I don't know how better to explain it. If you have the chance to fly a friends, I suggest you do so as it's the only way to get a sense of what I'm trying to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
Not seeing a solid bias on the v202 other than 2 clicks forward. Moving the battery back and forth seems to affect left and right trim more than forward and backward.

Also, a fresh battery trims to the right 2 clicks, but before long, it's trimming left 1 click (25C).

A 15C battery though, had a clear bias to the left, then shortly there after, it decided to trim to the right. I clearly hear a buzzing though so it's very possible this is a prop/vibration issue.

I made a leveling table for binding level. :-)
This is my observation as well. Each V202 trimming session takes the entire battery. The best we can do is get a decent backwards trim setting.

The H36, we may not trim these for hands-off hover......the thing accelerates so damn fast something expensive in here is going to get broken eventually.

It's funny you mention the leveling table because I'm looking for something that's portable (just large enough for a quad to fit on) that you can take out to the field and have it auto-level, kind of like that infomercial kids bowl that doesn't spill when tilted.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:04 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
MO you're killin me with that lake vid...I used to live in Orlando and my favorite time killer was fishin for largemouths and red bellies. Man I miss workin a rubber worm across the bottoms of those lakes.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock