SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bill34207, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
Build Log
Hobby King "SIX" hexa

I recently decided I wanted to build a hexa and ran across the "SIX" on Hobby King.
The price was definatley cheap enough and the way it was laid out looked very similar in construction to my Hover Things HT-FPV quad.So, I put it, a couple of the NTM 2826-1200's, and a couple of Turnigy Plush 25's in my shopping cart. (I already had four at home from a quad that I decided not to build)

The glass quality seems very good and everything fit quite well right out of the box. The only complaint I have is from one piece of incorrect harware. One of the spacers for attaching the top plate to the lower one was wrong. (see following posts as this will also be a build log as I progress along.)
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Dec 21, 2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Changed from review to build log
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
After assembling all the arms I proceeded to the main body plates. That's when I found someone had put one wrong aluminum spacer in the bag for the body. I have an extra arm spacer but am short one spacer for the top / bottom plate assembly.
Of course it's something I'll probably never be able to find locally (H6*21.5) so went back thiis evening and ordered another complete frame before starting this thread. That way I'll have a full selection of "spare parts" in the event of a crash. Kind off wish I'd ordered two when I ordered it. I do like the frame design and would have saved myself some dollars in shipping.
I did go ahead and assemble the frame and just left the one spacer out.for now. I'll have to take it apart again anyways when I add the power distribution board and I wanted to see what it looked like fully assembled.
The landing gear took more time to assemble and attach than the whole rest of the frame assembly. That's my own fault though because I thought the long screws went through the nylon spacer on the tips. So after putting all 6 of them in had to take them back apart before attaching to the frame.

That's enough for tonight. I have plenty of time to start on motor installation with the long holiday weekend coming.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:24 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
Got the motors all installed this evening. I had to shorten the shafts on the motors as this one, like the HT-FPV, has a cross brace right under the center of the motor mount. It only takes about 1/8 - 3/16" removl to get the clearance needed and a dremel with a cut off wheel makes pretty quick work iof it.
You'll have to excuse the quality of the pix.The lighting in my living room isn't that great and there's a couple of other projects going on im my workshop.

Now it's time to go add some fiberglass strips to the Pursuit mono that I'm building.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
I guess it's about time for an update in here. Yesterday I programmed all the esc's, set the throttle endpoints on them and determined the wiring to get the correct rotation.
Worked on the Pursuit mono some more and took a ride up to St Peterburg to meet Tom from hoverthings.com. Picked up a Naza with GPS and a power distribution board.
Went flying for a while this morning and after lunch went back to work on the hexa. Took the frame back apart and installed the distribution board. Then, found that the esc battery side wires were not long enough to reach it. I looked through my building supplies and the smallest wire I had was 14 gauge so drilled the holes out in the board to accept that size and soldered in jumper wires to reach the esc's. I think it's time to take a break for a while now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
OK. it's built and just finished the 1st test flight (hover). I didn't have a full set of "good" props on hand so used some Gemfan 8x4.5's that I had laying around. I shot a short section of video just to document it. Short because I had to lay the radio down to pick up the Sony handy cam.

1st flight Hobby King SIX Hexa (0 min 35 sec)

The flight was fairly short as it went into auto land after about 5 minutes with the 3s 5000 ma pack that wasn't fully charged (and a pretty old pack as well).
I suspect flight times will improve after I get some APC 8x3.8's on it and hopefully the noise won't be as bad either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
I flew this 3 more times yesterday. With more altitude the GPS lock was much more positive than what it looked in the video. I did a better timing on the battery depletion as well. With a fully charged 3s 5000 ma pack, the red warning light comes on about the 4:30 mark and it will auto land at 7 minutes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Very cool Bill! If these get any bigger you could almost use them to carry your boats to the lake
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
Thanks W. This one is on the edge of being too big as it is. I'm really disappointed in the short flight times it gets with a 5000 ma pack.
I suppose I should have went to a lower kv motor and higher voltage when building it. (but I already had 4 of the motors & esc's before ordering the kit) The 1200 kv motors worked well on the HT-FPV but this one is carrying 2 extra motors, 2 extra esc's plus the weight of the bigger airframe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
I suppose this one is due for an update. My other frame kit arrived a couple weeks ago and the new 750 kv motors came in last Thursday (I think)

My best advice to anyone that wants to build this frame would be to buy two of them so you will have enough matching hardware to complete one. As a bonus you will have a good supply of replacement glass parts should you need one.
Yep, this kit was short as well. Missing a arm standoff this time.

Anyways, with it's evenly spaced arms the hexa is a lot harder to keep orientation on than a FPV type quad, so decided to paint 4 of the arms on my spare frame to make it easier to tell which side is which.

Last night I took a few pix of progress so far and managed to get all six motors attached to their respective arms. This evening I hooked up one of the esc's and attached some different ends to an old watt meter and made an adapter so I could check things for amp draw.
With an APC 10x4.7 SF prop on and a barely above storage voltage 3s pack it peaked around 10 amps with 111 watts and the battery sagging to about 11.3v.
Same prop and an almost fully charged 4s pack, full throttle peaked at 17 amps with 297 watts produced. Half throttle was only about 6 amps and 175 watts. Holding the arm by hand it felt like plenty of lift to me, especially when multiplied by 6.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
Another little update since I finished putting this one together last night and test flew it a little while ago. I though I had shot a photo of one of the old motors compared to the new motors as the 750 kv verions are the 28-36 NTM where the 1200 kv motors were shorter. Guess I didn't though.
I attached the new motors to the new arms then re-used the existing esc's and attached it all to the center plates from the original build. I have lot's of spare parts for this one should the need arise.

It does get a longer flight now. I planned to do a timed flight to see how long it would stay up with a single 4s 5000 ma pack but must have gone brain dead and forgot to start my timer until it had already been flying for a few minutes.
My neighbor came along and got him to grab my camera and shoot some video since it was so windy that I was a little afraid to lay the radio down to do it myself.

Hobby King SIX Hexa (3 min 10 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:26 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
Went out for another flight a little while ago. This time I set the counter to count up instead of down and remembered to start it. The warning light started flashing at the 7 minute mark and, after keeping it in a low hover, I landed it at the 11 minute mark before it had a chance to go into failsafe auto land.
Brought the battery in and checked it. The cells were reading around 3.69 volts each. I guess 10 minute flights are about all I can expect on this setup.

Edit: found the photo I couldn't find earlier.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jan 19, 2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added photo
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:18 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
pretty cool Bill!!!!!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:00 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Not sure if you've been following the brushless gimbal stuff or not, but I've been collecting parts to make one. They use rewound (very low kv) outrunners, a control board with dual ESC's and a sensor board that's mounted to the camera so you can get MUCH better stabilization.

I'll get some pictures once I have more than a pile of motors and boards
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:57 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,516 Posts
I haven't been paying that much attention to it W. Actually, I sold my hexa to one of the guys in our boat club last week. He had the hots for one and I had only flown it maybe a half dozen times. (It's easier for me to keep orientation on the quad frame) So, I added up what I had in it and let him take it for that.
RCG Plus Member