HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,657 Posts
Looks like the Home Depot gift card I got for Xmas will be put toward a. Stack of pink fff. Always lose this plane. Can't wait to see it at SEFF.

Any estimate on you rtf weight or power system you are considering?
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Motor

I am using a Tringy D3536/5 1450KV Motor w/a 4Cell Battery. Not sure this correct but I thought I needed about 450amps Motor. As far as Wieght I dont know. I just started to FG the Fuse today. I will let you know when I get it done.

Where in Atlanta are you? Where do you fly? I just moved here in Sept. and am still looking for a feild.
hersch54 is offline Find More Posts by hersch54
Last edited by hersch54; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
FG begun

I started the FG of the Fuse and wing yesterday. Fuse looks pretty good but the wing was tough. That 3/4 oz FG is light weight stuff. With the 4 Cel Battery in the nose I think the blaance will be pretty good. I still need to add the controlls.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersch54 View Post
I am using a Tringy D3536/5 1450KV Motor w/a 4Cell Battery. Not sure this correct but I thought I needed about 450amps Motor. As far as Wieght I dont know. I just started to FG the Fuse today. I will let you know when I get it done.

Where in Atlanta are you? Where do you fly? I just moved here in Sept. and am still looking for a feild.
I am not far from Buckhead, pretty much in the heart of town. I usually fly at rogue fields like DFC for my power stuff. For gliders, I'm a member of NASA, which is a glider only club in Duluth. When I'm feeling like stretching out, I either go to the Pecan Patch in Griffin, and always mark time on the calendar for SEFF and HHAEFI The wing on the crusader looks a lot like the "paintball" wings from SEFF.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
wing

When I was building the wing I thought it would make a nice flying wing even with the dihederal.

I need to fix the FG job I did on the wing. it looks like crap. I tried to used big sheets of FG instead of smaller strips of FG. like I would do if I was using paper and glue.

I plan on making it to SEFF for sure and I will make the Joe Nall fly-in the following month.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Well I started to make a vacum box to pull canopies and parts with. Tried to find a hot plate ate Wally's or Lowes but no luck.

Mine will be just 12 X 12 and use a shop vac for now. May change that later.

I have the elevators ready to attach. Need to work on the FG work. Some of it is ok but other areas need some wotk. I need to fix the canopy. I ordered some Pilots for this palne and the A7. Hope they look alright.

I need to get these planes finished and flying so I can move on to my next project. I want to build a 60" F4F Wildcat. (No landing gear). I am looking forward to it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Added some spakle to the fuse but I decided this is not going to be one of John's super nice planes. It is just a park flyer and so if the glass weave shows and you can see it when it flies by then I will fix it but other than that I am moving on to finishing the tail and painting her.

I have had some trouble getting a power supply to work for my foam cutter. I bought a DC power supply but I can not seem to get it to work. I got a PC power supply and hooked up the yellow wire and the black wire to the cutter got a little spark when I connected the leads like I was told I would see) but then no hot wire. I dont know if I blew a fuse or something worse. I will look into this weekend.

Looking for a fitting that will connect to my shop vac so I can connect it to my vacum former. The PVC pipes do not match the size of the hose. again this is a project for this weekend.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
I want to thank John Morgan and Coolbythelake for the help on John's Big F16 build thread with the PS for my foam cutter. I will be building it tonight.

This is what I like about this forum you can post a question or problem and there is someone out there that has figured it out and is willing to share with you. It is amazing how easy it is to get help.

Thanks everyone
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,769 Posts
That's why we all congregate here. Share ideas and technique, it makes us all better.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
cutter

Well the cutter kinda worked. The PS worked great. The cutting of the wing will need some work. My grandson helped me but he did not really inderstand what I was trying to do. I will need to make my bow a little wider and I am going to head to Bass ProShop to get some .014 steel leader.

I plan on cutting a new wing for the F8 and A7. Currently I justed used FFF and made a KF 2 airfoil.

I need to make a couple of hatchs and a canopy. I have been working on the wing mount but in an effort not to add to much weight I used to thin of plywood. It did not hole the blind nuts. Better now to find my error than when ot is flying.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
I keep looking at the wing and thinking I should cut one out of 1 in foam. I almost have the elev servo in but it looks like I did not add enough brace support because the golden rod really bends to much.

I will try to get some photos of my progress out this weekend. Still have not completed the canopy yet. Been working on a F3F these last few weeks.

I picked up "Building with Foam". Great book. It has more information than I can take in with just one reading.