Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
Do not fear my avatar ...
United States, NY, WOODHAVEN
Joined Dec 2012
212 Posts
Discussion
WL Toys V911 Control Rods

Hi All,

Decided to actually read the manual that came with my v911, and noticed that on page 4, it indicates that the servo arms have two holes (inner and outer) where the control rods attach. The outer holes are labeled "Nimble Flight", and the inner holes are labeled "Stable Flight". The default appears to be "Nimble Flight". Has anyone moved the rods to the inner holes, and was it worth it?

E
elburromjf is offline Find More Posts by elburromjf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Always borking my corter
Joined Feb 2012
126 Posts
There's also the adjustable swash plate and the two flight modes on the transmitter. The transmitter always starts in mode 1 (stable), the button on the top left switches modes.

I have everything set for nimble flight and I love it, nose dives are a ton of fun. It all depends on what kind of flying you want to do. Indoor flight is a little tough for me but I'm still a newbie.
bflan2001 is offline Find More Posts by bflan2001
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Dec 2011
19 Posts
Leave it on the outer servo arms. Use low rates on the TX for indoor flight in a small area. I found that the inner holes made it too sluggish to respond and actually made it more likely for me to crash it as I couldn't pull out of trouble.
ryknoll3 is offline Find More Posts by ryknoll3
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:48 PM
V911 newbie
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2013
112 Posts
Hi guys what does mode 1 and 2 do
Wullie1967 is offline Find More Posts by Wullie1967
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wullie1967 View Post
Hi guys what does mode 1 and 2 do
The top left "Mode" button changes the servo throw. With the heli sitting on the bench, push the aileron and pitch sticks (the two that move the servo arms) and note the arm throw and note the graphic representation on the LCD. In one mode, you get about half the throw than the other, full throw. The LCD provides a quick way to see if you are in full throw mode - move the sticks and see how far the bars fill in.

Call it Mode 1 or 2 (my TX always reads Mode 1) or junior and advanced or high or low rate... or whatever else Chinglish manuals may contain. One position reduces the servo throws to about half.

I tried the inner servo arm hole position with the intention of setting the copter to be an indoor mostly setup. I have another V911 somewhere in the post from China - intended to keep that in outer servo arm hole for outdoor flight. But: the inner hole position slows down pitch and aileron response but does not affect rudder. When switched to high rate the rudder was far too sensitive compared to the servo controls. So: put the control rods back into the outer holes.

It would be nice to have a TX with full throw controls for each of the heli functions... but that would be beyond the V911 price tag... and also the V922, it seems.
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:40 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,371 Posts
A programmable tx for the V911

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPellant View Post
It would be nice to have a TX with full throw controls for each of the heli functions... but that would be beyond the V911 price tag... and also the V922, it seems.
The tx for the Double Horse 9116 is compatible with the WL Toys line of products, especially the V911. You have to reverse the tx's elevator channel though. It's very easy and you can adjust throws etc to better control your V911. The tx is available for $7 at HobbyPartz.com, http://www.hobbypartz.com/67p-9116-26.html
DH QC isn't all that great but I didn't have any problem getting a 2nd one from HP when the rudder trims on the first one I got didn't work.
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:45 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Just got mine yesterday. Do we need both ail & ele (page 10 & 11) to be horizontally level and the both servo at 90 deg (at least) at neutral position?.....
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:24 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,371 Posts
DB 9116 Tx for V911

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
Just got mine yesterday. Do we need both ail & ele (page 10 & 11) to be horizontally level and the both servo at 90 deg (at least) at neutral position?.....
I just have my elevator REV. Try the controls on the deck after binding and you should be able to tell if the aileron needs reversing but I don't think it does.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Yeah! Just got my replacement bird today. Good thing since the tail motor in my original is having a bad day.

For those getting the double Horse 9116 TX if you have sticks that seem not to work, it's not hard to fix them. Just look for bad solder joints. Bummer than you have to fix it at all but still not a big deal.
meanscreen is offline Find More Posts by meanscreen
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post

No. The v911 doesn't actually sit level when set up properly. It leans a bit.

Start out with your servos at 90 degrees, and give it a fly. Correct drift by turning the rods to lengthen or shorten them. Once set up, it should hover pretty stable with no drift without needing trim.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:57 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
275 Posts
Rainy Saturday so had another fiddle with the V911 trim.

The swash plate has two sets of arms - long and short. My copter came with the links set on the outer (longer) arms. According to the Blade 120 instructions (downloaded from their site), which the V911 seems to mimic, the longer arms are for a more "aggressive" setup. Since it's windy and wet outdoors, I set the links to the shorter arms and then noticed that the servos do not have equal throw about geometric centre... so reset the arms to the next notch down and spent time re-trimming the rod lengths.

Very nice! Indoor hands off hovering for very long periods (if I had turned off the ceiling fan, it may have lasted for minutes.. LAC (Like A Challenge) - fly under a ceiling fan.).

If anyone is learning to fly a V911 in tight spaces, I recommend putting the rotor head links onto the inner / shorter swash plate arms and fly on the lower sensitivity TX setting - very nice flying in the living room. (However: I do not recommend trying the inner servo arm holes... that needs someway to reduce the tail motor rudder reaction to balance the with the reduced servo throw.)

An aside: periodic applications of sewing machine oil to all the moving parts has reduced the noise and is making the V911 a sweeter machine. Drops of oil on the tail motor shaft have finally quietened it and brought it's running temperature down to sensible levels. Seems the motor shafts were tight on my V911 causing noise and frictional heat.
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant