HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I have had dicks dream tucked away for a foam build in the future but its nice to see it built in balsa to. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:24 AM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have had dicks dream tucked away for a foam build in the future but its nice to see it built in balsa to. joe
If you enjoy the 1/2 sized DD in this thread, be sure to check out my other thread for a highly modified full sized version balsa build that I'm working on right now. Fun stuff!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800693
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:38 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
If you enjoy the 1/2 sized DD in this thread, be sure to check out my other thread for a highly modified full sized version balsa build that I'm working on right now. Fun stuff!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800693
Ha Ha i was hovering around that thread to see if you were putting up the pdf for the larger size dick's dream your building . My old eyes cant see that micro stuff anymore. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:08 PM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Ha Ha i was hovering around that thread to see if you were putting up the pdf for the larger size dick's dream your building . My old eyes cant see that micro stuff anymore. joe
Oh! I downloaded the .pdf plans from Dave Fritzke's site which was linked in my first post of this thread. He not only has the DD, he has a whole bunch of other great plans available.

Here's the direct link to his site. The full sized DD is on the front page.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Oh! I downloaded the .pdf plans from Dave Fritzke's site which was linked in my first post of this thread. He not only has the DD, he has a whole bunch of other great plans available.

Here's the direct link to his site. The full sized DD is on the front page.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/
Yes its my second hobby of collecting great plans so i have had his site for over a couple years now. Here is one i found the other day.http://www.willingtons.com/mymac/Plans_Download.htm Iam good at finding plans but bad at making them bigger or smaller. I did just learn how to tile plans the other day tho. lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:31 PM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Well, it's been like 6 months since I've done any work on this little plane but yesterday I finally got back to the project, at least temporarily! I had several other planes get completed in the meantime though, including the "full size" Dick's Dream.

Yesterday I finished up planking and sanding the fuselage and got the firewall installed then applied the covering. My wife did the trim colors for me this afternoon.

I haven't decided if I want to add landing gear or just go with a couple of wire skids along the bottom. I'm an ROG kinda guy but the plan is to fly the plane here in my yard and taking off or landing on a runway isn't an option. Next week I'm heading down the road and will visit a hobby shop while out, so I will check into lightweight music wire and super light wheels.

Still have to figure out what motor/esc/battery combo to use. I'd prefer brushless and have found a few options on HobbyKing. I'd thought about using a FlySky helo receiver brick but after checking measurements, it wouldn't be a good fit.

That puts me back into the Spektrum compatibility arena, most likely a micro Orange Rx and a couple of 2g servos. All up weight of the fuse, wing and tailfeathers so far is just 22 grams.

Could be more than another month before I get back to this again, but I thought I'd pass along the current status. It WILL get finished eventually. After all, it's only been about 8 months in progress so far!
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2013, 03:29 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
nice looking plane
codypowell is offline Find More Posts by codypowell
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:25 PM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Folks, I'm not going to be able to finish this plane so it is up FOR SALE in the classified section.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post26078936
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:20 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
308 Posts
Since you already considered the flysky helo rx(v911?)... do it!its the cheapest thing and works flawlessly even with stock tx! why doesnt it fit, dont want to ask stupid but have u tried to fit it vertically? u can also turn the servo arms in the middle of the brick saves half a centimeter...
I really love this brick for powering everything flying under 60 gramms, its not the way to go if u want the lightest possible micro, neither for 4channel or brushless...But for cheap fun with freeflight conversions or mini scratchbuilds it rulez the sky

Edit: sorry, I should have read to the bottom of the page, before writing! really sorry to hear that
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkencorter View Post
Since you already considered the flysky helo rx(v911?)... do it!its the cheapest thing and works flawlessly even with stock tx! why doesnt it fit, dont want to ask stupid but have u tried to fit it vertically? u can also turn the servo arms in the middle of the brick saves half a centimeter...
I really love this brick for powering everything flying under 60 gramms, its not the way to go if u want the lightest possible micro, neither for 4channel or brushless...But for cheap fun with freeflight conversions or mini scratchbuilds it rulez the sky

Edit: sorry, I should have read to the bottom of the page, before writing! really sorry to hear that
Yeah, I'd gone to the doctor to see if an eyeglass prescription change or a pill or something might help. His response... "Nahh, this is very common. We see it in people who've had a lot of Birthdays... seen a lot of New Years.."

Ah jeez, I'm getting old! But that's cool. LOL
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:37 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
308 Posts
everybody wants to get old but nobody wants to actually be old.... my dad always says. he must know hes old and a doctor
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:48 PM
Registered User
cracksmeup's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Yeah, I'd gone to the doctor to see if an eyeglass prescription change or a pill or something might help. His response... "Nahh, this is very common. We see it in people who've had a lot of Birthdays... seen a lot of New Years.."

Ah jeez, I'm getting old! But that's cool. LOL
I know my eyes are getting bad but would never go to the doctor for him to say so. I just fly bigger planes joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
25+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I know my eyes are getting bad but would never go to the doctor for him to say so. I just fly bigger planes joe
I went because I started having double vision... and again it was due to aging! Arrgghh...

And yes, my plan IS to fly larger planes from now on!
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Dick's Dream Rubbernecker Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Feb 28, 2012 10:12 PM
For Sale Dick's Dream Rubbernecker Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Feb 28, 2012 05:21 PM
Wanted Seeking instructions for Ace Whizard and Dick's Dream willin Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 1 Jul 30, 2006 12:19 PM
Sold Ace Dick`s Dream collectors kit NIB skylane42 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jan 02, 2006 08:06 PM
Gallery Ace Dick`s Dream skylane42 1/2A Planes 0 Jan 02, 2006 10:35 AM