SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
all i have on hand is 1/16, tho i might sand some down.

what gear you looking at?
Sixteenth should be fine. I'm planning on bending my own wire and need to find some super lightweight 1/2 inch wheels. Then again, I guess there are taller skeleton type wheels out there which would be light and strong enough. Might give some more ground clearance for props too.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:52 AM
Fairfax Station, VA
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
This brings back memories of a time when RC flight was a bit more complicated than now. I built and flew a Dick's Dream in the mid 70s. I put a Cox TD .020 in it. Lots of power, but no throttle. I guided it with a Mattel pulse proportional radio. It worked like a dream and gave me lots of flying experience in the Farmington/Victor, NY skies.
Al
alh747 is offline Find More Posts by alh747
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alh747 View Post
This brings back memories of a time when RC flight was a bit more complicated than now. I built and flew a Dick's Dream in the mid 70s. I put a Cox TD .020 in it. Lots of power, but no throttle. I guided it with a Mattel pulse proportional radio. It worked like a dream and gave me lots of flying experience in the Farmington/Victor, NY skies.
Al
Ah yes, the good old days when modelers actually learned some aerodynamics and gained an understanding of flight, sometimes even before getting into RC planes. Rubber power, free flight and so on up the chain... Not just buying an RTF, throwing it into the sky and banging the sticks around.

Be sure to check out nemoskull's DD build thread here too: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794837
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:43 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Okay folks, my wife and I put together some 1:1 scale mockups of 3 different receivers which are candidates to guide this little plane. As of now, Iím ďon holdĒ with the build because of a lack of radio. I need help deciding on a transmitter.

I had initially thought that Iíd buy a Turnigy 9XR when it was released, but since there are no modules available yet that work with the internal antenna, I really donít know which way Iíll go. But, Iím not in a big rush.

I do have my FlySky FS-CT6B radio for my new park flyer builds and itís already installed in my Parkzone Decathlon. It just canít support the ultra micro planes. I already have 2 park flyers in the air and 1 more partially completed. I also have another plane with plans drawn up and several other ideas which will be implemented this year.

However, I do have some financial constraints, so going with a high end radio just isnít in the cards for now. But to meet future requirements, whatever I get will need at least 8 channels. So a 5 to 7 channel transmitter wonít work.

I would like some feedback please. I already know that the Spektrum AR6400 will only fit if I mount it sideways into the fuselage. Iím not sure if thereís an onboard gyro on the AR6400 or not. The other two receivers will drop right in. The Minima will require a separate ESC and servos though.

The three candidates are these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._one_5ch_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6400

I need a transmitter which will work with one of these receivers WITHOUT modifications. Iím not into hacking into a Tx or doing upgrades like all the good folks do with a regular old style Turnigy 9X.

Recommendations please!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:10 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
spektrum. ar6400 lots more options for small stuff. ive heared bad thiung about the frist one
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:44 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Here's a pic of the ultra micro version side by side with the full sized plane, which I have under construction in this thread in the balsa builders forum.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:06 PM
South Korea, Chungcheongbuk-do, Cheongju-si
Joined Jun 2009
62 Posts
Here, like videos,
How YouTube video attached to the Web?
jjifar is offline Find More Posts by jjifar
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:21 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
paste the webaddress in to RCG.com.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:31 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Yeheyy!! My flying buddy is going to sell me a Spektrum DX5e that's been sitting around in the back of a closet for just $20! I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow.

So after I finish the full sized DD, I'll be able to get back to work on this micro version and actually be able to fly the thing this year. Guess I'll be looking for an AR6400 or generic equivalent in a couple more weeks.

Hmmm... 5 channels. Maybe I really will put those ailerons on!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
no, six. the 'bind' sw is channel six. and 20 dollars is super cheap. its full range, too.

after building mine, it looks like the hobbyking R415 rx and HK 5320 servos with a 3A brushd ESC will fit much nicer in the fuse.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:57 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Well, I just got home from picking up the transmitter.

The channel 5 switch doesn't work and there's something rattling around loose inside. Ugh. Another sidetrack from getting any building done!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
ch 5 is a simple single pole, double throw, but only center and one contact used. you can oopen it up and solder on i new one... or you could sell it

have you tried ch 6?

5 and 6 are simple on/off channels.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:25 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
ch 5 is a simple single pole, double throw, but only center and one contact used. you can oopen it up and solder on i new one... or you could sell it

have you tried ch 6?

5 and 6 are simple on/off channels.
Yeah, I had to do a solder job to replace a SPST bat handle switch on another used transmitter that I bought. I just don't like people saying that everything is okay with an item only to find that something actually is broken.

The momentary contact switch for the trainer port seems to function okay.

I don't have a receiver for this transmitter yet, so actual testing will be done later.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:27 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Hi Biglron,i have been buying these small dxm recievers and have had good luck plus iam cheap. joe http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ompatible.html
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:45 PM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Hi Biglron,i have been buying these small dxm recievers and have had good luck plus iam cheap. joe http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ompatible.html
Cool, thanks! Bookmarked.