HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Discussion
Love that new heli smell! (Blade 450X)

The big brown Santa just dropped off my shiny new Blade 450X. Looks like a sweet helicopter. I can see a few things that need adjusting already, though, and I haven't even powered it up. The belt tension is WAY too tight and some servo leads need to be re-routed because they're zip-tied tightly around some pretty sharp corners. Can't wait to fly it! Debating on whether or not to locktite the motor shaft to the lower motor bearing before test flying it...
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
I am currently flying 300x which is awesome... I am tempted to get the 450x ... !
Pompedo is offline Find More Posts by Pompedo
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompedo View Post
I am currently flying 300x which is awesome... I am tempted to get the 450x ... !
Read too many troubles about the 300X, so I got the 450X. Really, I was on the fence with either heli, but decided on the larger one since I'd have to drive to a field anyway to fly the 300X. Not enough room at my house.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
On my 300x After 30 or so flights the motor locked up and caused a crash .. Horizon replaced the motor and skids and I had to buy the shaft ,spindle, main gear ... You have to clean and oil the motor regularly or else it will fail. I will buy a 450x
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompedo View Post
On my 300x After 30 or so flights the motor locked up and caused a crash .. Horizon replaced the motor and skids and I had to buy the shaft ,spindle, main gear ... You have to clean and oil the motor regularly or else it will fail. I will buy a 450x
I'll bet the motor shaft toasted itself inside the lower bearing and that's why it locked up. The shaft wears down against the inner race and creates radial play which will eventually destroy the lower bearing. It's a known issue with these E-flite motors and you might just have the same problem with the 440 motor on the 450X. The fix is to disassemble the motor and locktite the shaft to the inner race of the lower bearing so the shaft doesn't spin inside the bearing respective to the inner race. 4503D motors were failing quite regularly when I bought mine. I did this fix and my motor is still running strong after hundreds and hundreds of flights. I did put in Boca ceramic bearings but, honestly, I think that was overkill and it had been flying just fine for many flights with just the locktite before I got overly paranoid about it. After I get a few more flights on my 450X to ensure reliability and that it doesn't have to be returned for anything, I'll just locktite my 450X motor shaft/bearing and call it good.

I wonder why Horizon replaced your motor and skids, but didn't replace the rest of the crashed parts. Replacing anything basically points to them admitting fault for the crash.
Last edited by harryhenderson; Dec 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
This was my first crash so I actually didn't realize I had broken other parts while I was talking to horizon. After replacing the parts I have had about 10 flights with the new motor and, The 300x flies great now so no complaints !
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
Just ordered a 450x... New heli smell coming..!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
There is a 550x that will be available soon. Just looked at the website and was pleasantly surprised with the specs and electronics. Same servo combination I plan to use on my next 550 build. Now, if they would come out with a fb kit w/o electronics, I may end up getting a blade again.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli View Post
There is a 550x that will be available soon. Just looked at the website and was pleasantly surprised with the specs and electronics. Same servo combination I plan to use on my next 550 build. Now, if they would come out with a fb kit w/o electronics, I may end up getting a blade again.
Do you absolutely require FB? There are some good FBL controllers available that simulate having a FB pretty well when you adjust the settings. And I believe Blade's 550X (which is available in kit form) only includes the motor and ESC, so it not equipped with a full house electronics suite like the 450X or something. I'd be perfectly fine with a 500X, though. The servos spec out very well and I love the AR7200BX FBL unit.