HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:47 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,771 Posts
The one thing I'm starting to realize with the iKon self level is which switch I will go for when I'm in trouble. Currently my instinct is the throttle hold, as I've made a point when using the simulator to always try to hit TH before I crash.

So do I swap the TH for the SL switch in the heli with the iKon. I can see this leading to power on crashes or crashes with the power left on and the heli in SL mode, or switching to SL on landing instead of TH, which may lead to a tip over.

If I train myself to go for the SL switch first, then the helis that don't have it will more likely have a power on crash and more damage.

It's a bit of a conundrum really...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:55 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,089 Posts
Wish I had that problem..
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:25 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
The one thing I'm starting to realize with the iKon self level is which switch I will go for when I'm in trouble. Currently my instinct is the throttle hold, as I've made a point when using the simulator to always try to hit TH before I crash.

So do I swap the TH for the SL switch in the heli with the iKon. I can see this leading to power on crashes or crashes with the power left on and the heli in SL mode, or switching to SL on landing instead of TH, which may lead to a tip over.

If I train myself to go for the SL switch first, then the helis that don't have it will more likely have a power on crash and more damage.

It's a bit of a conundrum really...
Good point - and in the heat of the battle one isn't always thinking clearly.

I've have always been a "I can save it, I can save it - oh bugger" rather than a hit TH at the first sign of problems flyer.

How are you finding the self-level?

Whoops - sorry, a fair way off Topic
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,183 Posts
Hey, if CX is not updating anything, why should we?

The disadvantage of the self-level seems valid. It might still be useful if you fly high, or put it on a momentary switch (switch with spring).

After 2 yr flying I did manage to adjust quickly to my T9x where the idleup switch was opposite of what i was used to. No probs so far. Swapping too much around would still be a bad idea IMHO.

I was thinking about using the momentary switch to cut throttle to 20% and mix a 2second spoolup on release. Would make for some cool mid flight near bladestop or micro-autorotation tricks. (see smacktalkRC autorotation video(payed))
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Good point - and in the heat of the battle one isn't always thinking clearly.

I've have always been a "I can save it, I can save it - oh bugger" rather than a hit TH at the first sign of problems flyer.

How are you finding the self-level?

Whoops - sorry, a fair way off Topic
Hopefully I'll get to try it for the first time this weekend. I'll post an update in the Brain/iKon thread about how things go.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
is it really needed to have SL on your system? I was wondering what is the advantage of getting this on the heli than using TH and doing autorotation. It has always been a part of heli practice on the olden days i guess.. practing Autorotation before even going to 3D.. but it seems that its more on the electronics stabilization now..... Less skills more ease on flight... and more and more electronics are coming out to make the flight more and more easier.. maybe in a few months or years helis will be like multirotors.. you will just plot your flight on a computer and do 3D programming to perform hardcore 3D....
soneebee is offline Find More Posts by soneebee
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:38 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,771 Posts
Most only want self level for learning and for bail out. If it saves one crash it will pay for any extra cost of the gyro (perhaps two crashes for a SK720).

What I think is really needed is a feature that does not allow the heli to go below a certain altitude. If it does it will immediately self level it and hold altitude and level. This would probably require a GPS or an altimeter. Selecting a special mode would be required for take off and landing. Switching it to protect mode would store the current altitude as the minimum altitude.
Last edited by beenflying; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:51 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Most only want self level for learning and for bail out. If it saves one crash it will pay for any extra cost of the gyro (perhaps two crashes for a SK720).

What I think is really needed is a feature that does not allow the heli to go below a certain altitude. If it does it will immediately self level it and hold altitude and level. This would probably require a GSP or an altimeter. Selecting a special mode would be required for take off and landing. Switching it to protect mode would store the current altitude as the minimum altitude.
Yeah - that would be ideal. And if the GSP didn't work they could use GPS
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:17 PM
What goes up, must............
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Joined Apr 2001
43 Posts
Quote:
There was something called Hard Deck that supposedly would self level at 50 feet then descend gently or hold 50' depending on your programming or switch settings. I don't remember anything more. It was talked about a bit in the Forums but I don't know if it ever came to anything.

FWIW.
Hopefulflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hopefulflyer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:35 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Oops, my dyslexia kicking in again.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:43 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulflyer View Post
There was something called Hard Deck that supposedly would self level at 50 feet then descend gently or hold 50' depending on your programming or switch settings. I don't remember anything more. It was talked about a bit in the Forums but I don't know if it ever came to anything.

FWIW.
Interest. I was guessing I wasn't the first to think of it.

Based on how quickly the Brain/iKon can self level, I'm picking that altitude could be a lot lower now, more like 10 feet. I think the idea of capturing the lowest altitude allowed, when the mode is enabled, has merit. That way a cheaper altimeter can be used and the SL algorithm implemented when below this. Much cheaper than using a GPS.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
I guess this SL feature will be good if you are into aerial videography of photography as it will level out and stabilize the heli on a certain point.. enough for the director to get some good stable shots.... if it will save on crashes then its a good add on feature on the heli...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:33 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,089 Posts
The self leveling in the iKon is not on all the time. It's an instant bail out that saves your heli. It's so fast it's not something you can compare to just hitting throttle hold and doing an auto to save a $500+ heli

Ikon fbl unit with collective bailout (1 min 17 sec)
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:57 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,771 Posts
That's not how MSH markets it. They sell it as a learning aid (enabled all the time) and as a self level feature. It doesn't add collective, like a bailout, you have to do it yourself. Someone came up with a DX8 mix to add the collective, and make it more like a bailout.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:33 AM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
oh so does this mean that it only kicks in when the heli is in trouble...
Is this sold for newbies? or will this be part of the standard FBL package.. cause if it does what is says...then it will cause many problems when flying 3D.. as this SL will kick in.. if most of the moves that you will perform will be on hard deck level.. then this SL will keep on kicking in making the move look weird and tends to halt your performance.... what is the main purpose of this? to help newbies not to crash? is this similar to the olden days setup like the Co-Pilot.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
The self leveling in the iKon is not on all the time. It's an instant bail out that saves your heli. It's so fast it's not something you can compare to just hitting throttle hold and doing an auto to save a $500+ heli