HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
Well got her in the air today but by the time the package arrived and the battery charged it was a little dark. Probably not the best time to fly for a first flight on a 4 ch. But all is good one slight crash and nothing broken need to work on trimming it out a bit as hovering was even a task. Overall was impressed with this "toy". Now to figure out how to fly it. I'm addicted now.
nu2cptrs is offline Find More Posts by nu2cptrs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Aug 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongskie View Post
Hello guys, need some input on this one.

When I leave the right stick centered, the heli veers left and back..

Leveled swash (I think ), equal servo horn parameters, 0 trim on Tx..

You will notice that I keep correcting

http://vimeo.com/77274152
this is natural and its called ground effect

this means that the airflow that is created from the spinning blades counteract with the heli and the ground and make it drift in all directions

lift your heli at about 1m from the ground and adjust it on that height
tkes is offline Find More Posts by tkes
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
So day three of "flying". Got in some decent movement trying turns and what not. It got me thinking...I wondered if the quality of these are getting better than the first few batches? As most have noted their motors are extremely hot after flight. Mine is barely warm to the touch. Gone is the plastic fronted "store display" boxes swapped with heavy cardboard ones with a handle. Mine is still totally stock with the exception of moving the servo links and I'm getting great movement in all directions in high mode (found low mode is useless have to bang the sticks to get anywhere). As I'm new to all this my views may be skewed but I really think this is a great flier, sure it turns like a cruise ship, but a good platform for those of us not wanting to make ourselves sick flipping these things all over the place like mad men. I am very pleased I chose the v913 as my first it has the size and so far all the speed I can handle. Are there any "hobby grade" fp helis out there at this size range? I wouldn't mind putting the money into upgrading this one at all. Hope the makers see there is a market for these fp larger sized helis.
Last edited by nu2cptrs; Oct 27, 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added photo of box
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:48 PM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2cptrs View Post
So day three of "flying". Got in some decent movement trying turns and what not. It got me thinking...I wondered if the quality of these are getting better than the first few batches? As most have noted their motors are extremely hot after flight. Mine is barely warm to the touch. Gone is the plastic fronted "store display" boxes swapped with heavy cardboard ones with a handle. Mine is still totally stock with the exception of moving the servo links and I'm getting great movement in all directions in high mode (found low mode is useless have to bang the sticks to get anywhere). As I'm new to all this my views may be skewed but I really think this is a great flier, sure it turns like a cruise ship, but a good platform for those of us not wanting to make ourselves sick flipping these things all over the place like mad men. I am very pleased I chose the v913 as my first it has the size and so far all the speed I can handle. Are there any "hobby grade" fp helis out there at this size range? I wouldn't mind putting the money into upgrading this one at all. Hope the makers see there is a market for these fp larger sized helis.
I think you would be interested in watching this video from a guy who did a full brushless motor conversion of the v913. He also has a video of it flying.
WLTOYS V913 Rc Helicopter TOTALY BRUSHLESS UPGRADE (5 min 11 sec)
vincent713 is online now Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
I had seen that video through my searches trying to decide which heli to purchase. I'm not sure I understand all that enough just yet. As well not sure which tx and rx to get, so many out there I don't get the whole "module" thing and what binds to what. Other than that I would like to do this mod. Has anyone else tried this? I noticed he said they didn't sell that same tx anymore. So confusing flysky n turnigy and modules and software ahhhh!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:50 PM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
1,001 Posts
I agree it can get a bit overwhelming with all of the parts needed to convert to brushless. I have the little brother V912 and in the process of converting it to xtreme carbon brushed motors. I actually have 2 v912 and waiting for a brushless kit so I can mod it.
vincent713 is online now Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:32 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
I agree it can get a bit overwhelming with all of the parts needed to convert to brushless. I have the little brother V912 and in the process of converting it to xtreme carbon brushed motors. I actually have 2 v912 and waiting for a brushless kit so I can mod it.
Is there a parts list you could post for the v912 conversion please? Keen to try on one of mine ;-)
Zaphod69 is online now Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:01 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2013
67 Posts
oh how I miss my v913, sure did abuse it
Picture perfect (8 min 3 sec)
wild0utkingz is offline Find More Posts by wild0utkingz
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:26 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild0utkingz View Post
oh how I miss my v913, sure did abuse it
http://youtu.be/USpS86PK6Co
If this is your "airfield" (I admire the courage of flying over water like this ...) then THIS might be something interesting for you:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...ient=firefox-a
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:48 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
I had seen that video through my searches trying to decide which heli to purchase. I'm not sure I understand all that enough just yet. As well not sure which tx and rx to get, so many out there I don't get the whole "module" thing and what binds to what. Other than that I would like to do this mod. Has anyone else tried this? I noticed he said they didn't sell that same tx anymore. So confusing flysky n turnigy and modules and software ahhhh!
They dont sell this TX anymore, because it was one of the first when Walkera switched their models from 72MHz transmitters to 2.4GHz transmitters (YES, THAT long ago ...)
(just to add to the confusion : the 2402 was the most basic tx of their line of transmitters at that time - they soon "replaced" it with the 2403, and then there where the 2602, the 2603 and the 2801/2801pro. And after all those, they (Walkera) decided to "keep the wheels turning" and changed the protocol .. ... and everybody kind of had to buy tons of new transmitters ... AGAIN!...)

Since then, Walkera used the protocol in the 2402 - and later the 2403 and about 500 other tx's (sarcasm off) - until about a year, maybe already longer ago and came out with the Devo Line of transmitters. (surprisingly, they STILL use THAT protocol now .)

Anyway, the "kit" is stuff you can get from a whole number of online retailers, RTF-heli is just someone who took out the "hassle" of having to "pick out the parts" yourself.
The Tail fin btw is from the Esky Honey Bee FP and should still be relatively easy to get.
The Turnigy motor is from HobbyKing (Turnigy seems to be their "house brand")
Good thing on his (the guy from the video) "mod" is that the rx has all these possibilities to adjust it - but you can use countless different rx's (and thus also tx's) to achieve this
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
So if I'm understanding correctly the basics are 2 esc's, tx\rx that are compatable, a gyro, we could use the same motors used in his mod. but as far as tx/rx any tx that has an rx with it would work. I'm just guessing that his rx contained the gyro as well but could you just add that into a 6 or more channel system then it would be adjustable with the tx? Am I missing anything? As far as the tail "fin" are you referring to the actual fin or the rudder housing for the motor? If just the fin it seems any fin would work. I'm just trying to get the basics and wrap my head around what actually is needed to start searching for parts to use. Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2013
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
If this is your "airfield" (I admire the courage of flying over water like this ...) then THIS might be something interesting for you:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...ient=firefox-a
Thank you erdnuckel2 for the kind words!
wild0utkingz is offline Find More Posts by wild0utkingz
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,801 Posts
Quote:
So if I'm understanding correctly the basics are 2 esc's, tx\rx that are compatable, a gyro, we could use the same motors used in his mod. but as far as tx/rx any tx that has an rx with it would work. I'm just guessing that his rx contained the gyro as well but could you just add that into a 6 or more channel system then it would be adjustable with the tx? Am I missing anything? As far as the tail "fin" are you referring to the actual fin or the rudder housing for the motor? If just the fin it seems any fin would work. I'm just trying to get the basics and wrap my head around what actually is needed to start searching for parts to use. Thanks.
What baffles me a bit is the Walkera RX he uses - this must be one that is already "made" for brushless motors - cause in the "old days" you had to usually use a brushless converter if you wanted to use a regular "brick" (3in1)
Of course it is possible to do this all in individual parts, ie an external gyro. I just think, in that case, you would also have to get a suitable mixer, as the mixing usually is also done on the rx if its a 3in1

RE tail fin:
in case of this particular fin, the Esky fin already includes the motor housing. But of course, if you use the direct drive motor housing for the Esky HoneyBee CP, then you can basically use any fin you want ... or NO fin ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
Is this a possible replacement? http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/esc/3in1controller.htm
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
Is this a possible replacement?
http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/esc/3in1controller.htm