HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Jun 2013
76 Posts
Just got the v913.tryed ajusting counter clockwise spin on the floor with tx and cant get it to stop. Got it to slow down alittle by tx adjuster,rudder or ailaron. But nothing. Any ideas. Can i gut it and build with rx,esc,gyro,seperat tail motor,both brushless main and tail? Thanks :-)
iNomad59 is offline Find More Posts by iNomad59
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:33 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,164 Posts
ESky Direct Drive tail motor mod

I think I figured out why my bird was snapping off the lower link from the swash to the mixing bar.

EDIT: It turned out the also be the mixing bar was bent but not broken. After replacing it, no more broken lower links.

The feathering shaft was bent. So far only feala and linparts have the part.
EDIT: They (feala.com) calls the "Copper sleeve on the main blade grip set and main shaft + Iron stick in the blade grip set".
They and linparts.com also seem to be the only ones carrying the screw set for the V913. The pics and the write-ups are identical so they may share more than just pics I suspect. I don't think I can straiten the shaft without damaging it. My tools are just a hammer and garage floor.

I've put 26 flights averaging about a little over 7 mins on the tail motor and main motor. The main motor still seems strong. Today the tail motor stopped being able to complete a right turn easily. I flew it on flight 24 and was unable to cool it immediately after the flight as I had been doing up till then. But it was starting to show signs of weakness near the end of the flight. Flight 25 went weak about 2 mins into the flight. Today's flight it wouldn't turn right without a lot of coaxing so time to replace with the ESky EK002445 tail motor.

I'll do the DD fix recommended by MikeFromGermany (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ect+drive+tail) and use the tail rotor designed for the motor.
•Esky Honey Bee CP3 Tail Motor EK1-002445 $3.84
•Esky Honey Bee CP3 CPX CT RC Tail Blade Set Black EK1-002386 $1.19
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Mar 30, 2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: pics
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Jul 2013
10 Posts
Hi all!
I made a total modification of the V913 and I'm very happy with that
Here is the list of changes:
1)Brushless main motor + ESC - 450 motor + 30A Esc + 13 tooth pinion
2)Direct driven brushless tail - 2204 motor + 5x4 blade + 20A ESC + HK 401B gyro
3)DSM receiver + Spektrum Dx6i transmitter
4)2800mah, 3S batteries which fix the center of grafity to be "front' instead of "rear"
I will post pictures tomorrow!
The bird is flying very well, not overheating and has 10 mins flying time. The servos has maximum throw, the gyro can be setup due to the needs, etc.
And finally of course - it's almost unbreakable
maiden is offline Find More Posts by maiden
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden View Post
Hi all!
2)Direct driven brushless tail - 2204 motor + 5x4 blade + 20A ESC + HK 401B gyro
4)2800mah, 3S batteries which fix the center of grafity to be "front' instead of "rear"
The bird is flying very well, not overheating and has 10 mins flying time. The servos has maximum throw, the gyro can be setup due to the needs, etc.
This I want to see! Sounds great
Zaphod69 is online now Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
3,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden View Post
Hi all!
Amazing

Now give us to bad news : the total price of the upgrade (and some links to itemps)

Thanks
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnh105 View Post
so fitted it in an align 250 md500 fuselage. It was a little harder than i thought but i got it. this actually took away some wobble that it usually has. In this video it doesnt look too stable because i was more worried about keeping it in the frame. I did a test flight after and it is very stable in hover. Havent took it outside yet since its 30 and windy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60UL...e_gdata_player
I would like to do this mod as well. Is the md500 the same as the 500e? I was looking for a Bell NYPD 4ch FP in the 400-450 size but not having much luck. Is this canopy http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ALIGN-T-REX-2...dddfe40&_uhb=1 the same one used in the video? If I can fit my 913 into this canopy that would probably be a little cheaper and also since I just got my 913 I'm not exactly in the market for a whole new heli yet but want a NYPD heli. It's not a Bell but as long as it had the logo which this does that should be good.
Total RC NooB is offline Find More Posts by Total RC NooB
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total RC NooB View Post
OK so I plugged the tail motor into the main motor plug and the tail motor started spinning so Im guessing it must be the tail motor plug on the PCB. Piece of Sh*t. Does anyone know where in US or Canada I can order a PCB? I am NOT waiting another 2 weeks for a PCB to arrive from China. Even if its a few dollars more it will be worth the fast shipping instead of waiting for China, Hong Kong or wherever.

Or if anyone here is super ultra techy, any ideas as to which component on the board is in charge of controlling the tail motor? If its not the IC chips I could probably find a replacement component at the local electronic supply store. Would probably be faster than waiting on a whole new board. I can easily swap components but diagnosing which actual component failed is a little past what I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudysea View Post
are you sure that it is the PCB to blame? as if you read my previous posts I brought 2 replacement tail motors from BG and they were both faulty
ie. they spin up sometimes or you have to give them a start with your fingers.

I brought a replacement from T mart and it worked fine - ( cheaper and faster shipping too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total RC NooB View Post
I has to be. When the 1st tail motor stopped I ordered another one from T mart. The new one I got from t-mart does not spin when plugged into the Tail-M jack on the pcb but when I connect it to the main motor jack it works fine. Then I tried a smaller motor from a non WLtoys heli and it also works when plugged to the Main-M jack but again does not spin when connected to the Tail-M jack. When I don't get is how the tail-M jack has 7-8 volts on the pcb when nothing is connected to it but when when you plug in the motor the voltage at the tail-M solder connection at the end of the boom is in the mV. It spins when plugged into the main-M jack so its not a broken wire in the boom.
New PCB came in today and the heli is back in the air. Something happened to the old PCB. The new one from Miracle Mart didn't come with an antenna though so I made one out of speaker wire. Working great now.
Total RC NooB is offline Find More Posts by Total RC NooB
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:07 PM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,164 Posts
The HB DD tail motor mod

To 2nd wildOutkingz's efforts, the try on the HB DD tail motor is a NO GO! Sorry MikeFromGermany. I tried but the ESky EK1-002445 tail motor without gearing doesn't have the umph to manage the torque of the main rotor of the V913. I tried it with both the ESky tail rotor blade, part # EK1-0002386 and the stock V913-33 tail rotor.

I started with the stock Tx and switched to the Double Horse 9116 Tx. I wanted to reverse the rudder to make sure that wasn't the problem. Of course reversing the rudder via the Tx doesn't do anything for the direction of the tail motor, only which direction the nose goes on L or R from the stick.

The ESky motor is larger than the stock V913-34 tail motor but without the gearing, isn't able to keep up. I never got airborne. It was CCW spins on the ground, and all I could do was stop the spinning but not able to turn the helo CW no matter the combination of rotor blades or Tx and reverse or normal rudder.

I didn't swap wires on the motor. It has been my experience that motors only turn one-way due to the core turnings, regardless of the polarity of the power leads. If anyone has more info on this, please post.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined May 2010
1,783 Posts
Hi guys, i been out of the heli game for a couple of years...but i came across this v913 and it seems to be a great heli forthe price... it seems to be same size of bigger then a exceed madhawk i had back in 2008 which had serious issues that cost me a lot of money...I ended up with a couple of nine eagle freespirits that flew pretty nice...i also have a 450 cp heli which i don't fly...since its out of my leage...I never paid much attention to wltoys but they seem to have some nice quads and heli's...an info is appreciated...thax
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:49 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,164 Posts
Welcome hate2crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Hi guys, i been out of the heli game for a couple of years...but i came across this v913 and it seems to be a great heli forthe price... it seems to be same size of bigger then a exceed madhawk i had back in 2008 which had serious issues that cost me a lot of money...I ended up with a couple of nine eagle freespirits that flew pretty nice...i also have a 450 cp heli which i don't fly...since its out of my leage...I never paid much attention to wltoys but they seem to have some nice quads and heli's...an info is appreciated...thax
Welcome to the forum. You've been around this hobby longer than I have and I really started enjoying it with WL Toys V911. I had a Blade 120SR and their mSRX but found them expensive to repair. I was learning then and maybe wouldn't have the repair bills I had then.

The WL Toys & the small and beginner Chinese helos makers in general, seem to put the emphasis on durability at the expense of manueverability. I think the V913 is the largest 4 channel FP single rotor helo out there. Since you already have a big CP, you may want to go a less traveled path with it and fly it without the 3D at CaptJac's forum, "3D is NOT for everyone". You can find it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901484

Or maybe you would want to change out the head and go FP with it with some help on "Frankenheli FP Workshop" here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977401

Or just enjoy the V913 here. If you've been reading our forum, you'll notice the motors don't last much beyond 24 flts or so. But I do have one that has 26 flts on the main motor and seems fine still. I'm in the process of changing out the tail motor now. If you just want to do some slow scale-like flying, this is a good bird for that. I know scale-like usually means a CP model but this is good enough for what I enjoy. It's a FP and goes where the wind blows it sometimes, and isn't a Ferrari of the air. But as you said, a good helo for the money.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Sep 19, 2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined May 2010
1,783 Posts
Thax for the info Don...I will most likely keep my t-rex clone as a display model for a while maybe one day i will give it another try....This v913 is very decent....Any idea on tx range...i read alot of wltoys have 300 meter range...some guys only get 100 feet they say... The trans that comes with the 913 seems to be the best they offer...But i think it works with other helis and possibly their new large quad(v262) that uses 2s 1000mah batt Thax
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Thax for the info Don...I will most likely keep my t-rex clone as a display model for a while maybe one day i will give it another try....This v913 is very decent....Any idea on tx range...i read alot of wltoys have 300 meter range...some guys only get 100 feet they say... The trans that comes with the 913 seems to be the best they offer...But i think it works with other helis and possibly their new large quad(v262) that uses 2s 1000mah batt Thax
The tx with the v913 will let you fly the v911 v912 v9x9 quads. The v2x2 quads use a different protocol.
Zaphod69 is online now Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:22 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,767 Posts
The Honey Bee direct drive is a 3S motor, and only works on 2S in the 250 size
helicopters and smaller.

Anything bigger than a V912 and it needs 3S to keep up. When running on 11.1 volts,
the Esky heat sink is required, or it will melt it's guts.

Also, anything larger than the small stock Esky blade requires gear reduction, or
you will burn it up.

The whole point of using it in the smaller birds is that it does not work as hard,
and lasts much longer.

I have one in my DH9116 that has over 6 months of use, and over 200 flights,
even with no heat sink at all.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Sep 19, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined May 2010
1,783 Posts
I see the f45 and this heli seem almost identical... i don't read any motor issues with the f45..so can i ask why is this v913 one better?...price is same as well as demensions...thax
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Sep 2013
10 Posts
Just got my V913 today and flew it for about 6 minutes or so and then I started losing tail rotor control. Couldn't get the tail rotor to spine unless I helped it by spinning it with my fingers. Played with my trim setting but that didn't help. Decided maybe the battery was getting low so I let it recharge. Still no go unless I help it spin up with my fingers. But then it'll still end up stopping eventually. Sound like a bad tail motor? Any other troubleshooting steps to try? Thanks
aagitch is offline Find More Posts by aagitch