HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
Rant
Hobbytown - worst website ever

Hobbytown's website blows to begin with as it's slow and hard to use but now it does not even load. What a joke. Just wanted to see if the local shop could get an item as I like Dave but he's getting hosed over by that piece of crap corporate sponsered website. Pathetic for sure.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:34 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2004
856 Posts
Common now, don't hate on Hobbytown USA. Give them a call if you are looking for a particular item. How long have you been in the hobby for? I'm pretty sure we all know by now that walk-in hobby stores never list EVERY item they have in stock...
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnast View Post
Common now, don't hate on Hobbytown USA. Give them a call if you are looking for a particular item. How long have you been in the hobby for? I'm pretty sure we all know by now that walk-in hobby stores never list EVERY item they have in stock...
The website being slow and often inaccessible is really inexcusable. They would be better off not doing a website at all. Pretty silly. 5 years ago, yeah ok. Now, it's a joke.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:49 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I also will not bother with their website; if I am in the neighborhood I will always stop in... but as my work shifted me over to 400 I am just so much closer to AH.

It is a tough business model for sure, and a cutthroat industry, but for me HT's can no longer satisfy my needs. Outside of park flyers (which I rarely buy these days), the only stuff I seem to get there is magazines, tools, and the occasional building materials and Dubro hardware. Due to weak Futaba sales, these stores often do not have a full line of rx's either... and I do completely understand it is difficult to stock items that do not sell well; but I also am an impulsive buyer and if I cannot get one there, I will find one elsewhere.

That said, I love HT in that they are essential for providing all the tools one needs to get into and enjoy the hobby. And as Chris said, if you have the foresight they will order you anything you need. I just feel they cater more towards the beginner pilot. The most wanted items I wished they carried would be large electric props up to 23 inches and Futaba rx's, there are others.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bsbauman; Dec 19, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
I like Dave so I try to buy any basic Horizon stuff from them but it's a pain to call versus quick click of the mouse and going there just to find something not there is clearly a waste of time/gas so really, really wish their website at least would work.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:39 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,642 Posts
I like HT. However like bradley said most of hte stuff i buy now is bigger than what they carry. That said , David is a great guy and really supports our local fly-ins, and locals very well. I still visit as often as I can for something impulse like..lol

However I really dont understand with the royalties they pay for the HT setup why they cant have a much better web presence.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:00 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
Agreed. This is a slam on Hobbytown corporate who I think are idiots from what I've seen. Dave and the local Hobbytown are good guys but like you guys they don't have a lot of what I'm flying these days. I try to buy a lot of my props and Horizon repair parts (ie: mcpx, micro's ) and some glue on occasion from them but otherwise unfortunately not much of what I fly these days fits with their store.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I miss it; I still give the store and Robert credit for keeping me in the hobby the first few years...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
kthomas
USA, GA, Buford
Joined Aug 2004
92 Posts
Agreed on the website. I will say that Dave and Robert have helped me many many times with products and even better, honest advice on all aspects of the hobby. They have patience and respect for the newbie.
kthomas is offline Find More Posts by kthomas
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,763 Posts
Was in there today. Dang it. Ended up buying a nice E-fite hat as it was sitting there.

Also saw hobbytown now has their own line of small micro heli's and quads for the newbie. Seem decent enough. Not as good as E-flite but a fair bit cheaper and supposedly have replacement parts.

Also was told (did not see as it was not in stock) they have a Helios 4wd SCT brushless 2s lipo ready truck for $260. That's good price for 1/10 brushless out of the box.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,331 Posts
i have noticed the hobbytown over in kennesaw is carrying hobbico stuff now, real tempted on a 1sq or axe 100cp
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
i have noticed the hobbytown over in kennesaw is carrying hobbico stuff now, real tempted on a 1sq or axe 100cp
dont do it lol,,,, I have heard some good things about the axe100 but its a real surprize axe has always been at the very bottom for me, maybe others have liked them. It might blow mcpx out water but i be surprised if it does
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
traxxas also has a cool new micro quad...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
traxxas also has a cool new micro quad...
I seen that I can't believe traxxas is into flight now
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I think it is a good move for them; they will certainly get lots of purchases from loyal ground customers venturing into the air. I considered one myself, but think I will end up with something a little larger.
RCG Plus Member