HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
USA, MI, Columbus
Joined Mar 2009
66 Posts
Question
Passport Ultra question

So I just bought this charger Dynamite Passport Ultra, and I just received my SPC lipos so it being winter here in MI I went to put a storage charge on them so I just noticed when ever I touch ANY metal part on the charger when its plugged in I feel a electric tingling sensation going up my hand into my arm more so when battery is plugged in, this don't seem like it should be happening lol is this normal with this charger ? I plugged in my Triton eq just to see if I could notice it and I didn't feel anything (that charger is also metal)
tigersfan45700 is online now Find More Posts by tigersfan45700
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Mar 2011
57 Posts
No, was you described is not normal. Sounds like you have short. Have you given Dynamite a call? I'd return the charger to the point of purchase for evaluation or to Dynamite for warranty repair.

I have the same charger and enjoy it, with one caveat: the storage charge mode you mentioned. From the manual (version 2):

"Discharge voltage is pre-set to 3.00V/cell and the corresponding S count will be displayed
along side the voltage cutoff being selected. Selecting the correct S count will automatically
set the appropriate voltage cutoff."

Do you see the problem? This charger puts a storage charge on each cell of 3 volts, and that voltage is not consumer adjustable. The low voltage cutoff on my ESCs is 3.3 volts and most of the recommendations elsewhere in the RCG forums suggest a storage voltage of 3.8 volts per cell.

Thoughts?
Bruin12 is online now Find More Posts by Bruin12
Last edited by Bruin12; Jan 10, 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Yep, definitely doesn't sound right.

Storage voltage should be ~3.85v / cell ideally, 3.0v is way too low.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
This charger does not have a storage mode. It has a discharge that takes it down to 3v per cell. There is a workaround I have discoverd, for 2s lipos
set the mode on the charger to NiMh/Disscharge. In this mode you can set amps from .1 - 5.0 and volts .3 - 14.0. This works for up to 3s lipos. Just be sure of your settings and never discharge below 3v per cell. From what I have read on the web (so this must be true) discharge lipos at the lowest amperage you can stand. < 1a will take a while. You might need to disable the saftey timer.
CBeck is offline Find More Posts by CBeck