HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
122 Posts
Build Log
450 size Quadcopter

Hey guys,
November 2012 I decided to build a quadcopter. I have flown planes for over a year now and I really love the hobby. Now I would like something I can fly in pretty tight spaces. RC helicopters have never really interested me (except for a small indoor heli), but I really like the way quadcopters fly and also the totally different approach on flying. Aerodynamics are limited to the minimal and everything is electronics.
I also like hanging micro cameras on my planes and I love all the quadcopter movies on youtube, so if the quad could carry a light camera I could also start filming.
Iím still studying so my budget isínt that high, so I planned to keep costs to a minimum.

I considered buying a micro quad (BNF) or the x230 mini quad that hobbyking sells, but I wanted something bigger with the possibility to expand it or change my setup once the basic doesnít please me anymore.

First of all, I watched a lot of forum articles about quads and a lot of youtube movies.
Out of all that information, I decided I wanted a 450 size quad with a kk2.0 board (easy programming) and I wanted to use 1550mah 3s lipoís as I already had a lot of those. I also have a 3000mah 3s lipo, so if I use two 1550ís together I can have the same effect.
I also had a dx6i and a spare Orange RX already so no need to buy these either.

I managed to buy a kk2.0 board from someone I know, which reduced the price to half the original price. Above that he gave me a KK Blackboard as well, usb included. That second one could be useful for a next project.

After that it was time to choose motors, props and escís.

Iím not going to lift heavy cameras so I wasnít planning on a heavy setup , but I would like it to have the power for some proper speed and maybe flips too if possible.
After some research, I came up with this:
1x SK450 frame http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_450mm.html
1x Power distribution board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=31223
4x D2822/14 1450kv motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12916
4x Multistar 20A ESCís http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25364
6x 8x4R props http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11331
I also bought 10cm JST plugs (male to male), led lights, low voltage indicator,... to fill up my orders.

All of that together was about 98$, which is 75 euros here in Belgium.
So far I have spent 100 euros and so far it seems I will be able to do it with that.

Right now Iím waiting for my payments and after that will be the wait for the orders to ship, seen the holidays I guess that could take some time. In January I have exams so itís probably a good thing the quad arrives after that

If anyone has recommendations about the motor/esc/prop setup, right now I can still change the orders.

I will keep you guys posted once everything has arrived.

Grtz, Thomas
TheThomass is offline Find More Posts by TheThomass
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,796 Posts
Ill just give you my thoughts on the frame as its the same I started with.

At first it seemed like it could take a few hits, but after 3 weeks of having it I broke 4 arms. I broke 2 arms on 2 seperate mild crashs and then a bigger crash destroyed the other 2 arms. (Im still learning to fly )

Not so much of a problem as the arms are cheap and you could always buy 2 frame sets as they are cheap.

I built my own plywood frame since then,its lighter and hasnt broken yet. So maybe have a look around at other recommendations.

I would pay a little more now and get a lighter stronger frame.

Also buy at least 16 props. I just bought the cheap $3 for 4 props on hobbyking and they fly really well in my experience.
ecks is online now Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esevilaa View Post
I built my own plywood frame since then,its lighter and hasnt broken yet. So maybe have a look around at other recommendations.

Also buy at least 16 props. I just bought the cheap $3 for 4 props on hobbyking and they fly really well in my experience.

Thanks for your reply
Maybe I will start with a scratchbuilt frame for the learning and keep the real one for later.
I also have some more 8x4 already so I think I'll have 12, which will be enough for the first weeks I guess.

What motor/esc/prop combination did you buy?
TheThomass is offline Find More Posts by TheThomass
Closed Thread