HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:40 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Mini-Review
New Walkera Super CP Mini review:

This is not just another mini 6ch 3D helicopter from walkera. As you can see most parts are identical to the mini cp. But the main different is in the electronics. For just outside all parts are almost identical to the mini cp. Same blades, rotor head, and main frame. The most visible different are the Smaller main motor and the 5 wire servos. But the smaller motor is an upgrade motor, both main and tail motor spin faster than the mini cp motor, give you more power and more solid tail. And it is lighter. Complete super CP is 35g vs mini cp 39g (both without battery). Only 4g different but when you consider it is more than 10% differents. Which means longer flight time as well as I can easily get +7min flight and still have have power left in the stock 240mah 25C battery. And walkera said this model have the new 3G gyro system. More on that a bit later.

Flight Impression:

For the first flight I keep everything as factory setting. The helicopter feel very responsive. Only the rudder is slight slower than torque tube helicopter. But quite similar to other tail motor mini helicopter. The cyclic input react quite fast to stick input, without any delay. After 7min flight the battey still have power left. Should able to fly over 8min. The main motor is quite cold. Only 36 degree C after 7min flight. (that 7 min I keep pushing the heli up and down quickly to put extra load on the motor and see how it perform). And another thing I notice as these mini heli with separate tail motor sometimes the tail will drift slightly during heavy load. But I did not have any drift with this one. I am sure walkera had done something to the gyro and the tail motor to fix this.

Like:
quick cyclic input
long flight time
light weight construction
solid tail
parts compatible to lot of other walkera model

Don’t like:
Look just like my mini cp, well atleast the colour is different.
no metal rotor head.

Optional Upgrade Parts:
CNC Rotor Head Upgarde
7MM Tail Motor Complete Upgrade
7MM Tail Motor Mount Upgarde
Tail rotor blades Upgrade
Main Brushless Motor Upgrade
Main Gear Set Upgarde
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
Last edited by ehirobo; Sep 17, 2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Add some optional upgrade parts for this helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...slTxpMxFu6sKVI

quick test flight video.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
635 Posts
why a 5 wire servo?? whats the benefit?
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
why a 5 wire servo?? whats the benefit?
There is no servo controller in the servo itself. Instead the servo controllers are built into the board. The reason is to save cost.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,863 Posts
Nice review! Any difference in flight performance between the two?
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
118 Posts
but the missing servo controller must not have a negative impact on the performance.

1. the processor on the RX can read direct the value from servo potentiometer and via the ADC inputs and control the motor in the servo. why to make first a PPM signal than control it in the servo

2. it should make the servos cheaper, since the electronic can be removed, and what is normally dying: the potentiometer or the gears....

3. there are no replacement servos from a 3rd party supplier, so not as on big helis where you have a choice, we are all using only WK servos...

and I think it is a good base for an BL upgrade, so a cheap ESC and a C05m, than you don't care on the smaller main motor.....

what do you think?

but I am still happy with my Mini CP and the C05m BL motor, my heli is perfect now

Rgds
crasy666
Crasy666 is online now Find More Posts by Crasy666
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:11 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
There is no servo controller in the servo itself. Instead the servo controllers are built into the board. The reason is to save cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Nice review! Any difference in flight performance between the two?

yes, this is one reason. But a better reason for us pilots is it will be lighter as it do not require 3 aditional pcb inside each servo.

performance I think the cyclic response faster to stick input. Another thing I notice is the motor, being a coreless main motor it is more effective and spool up much faster than normal motor as the core is much lighter. As I am not a 3D guy I do not fly with idle up. So this is a big plus for me.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,863 Posts
Thanks, btw I ordered a CopterX250 SES flybarless kit from you awhile ago but haven't assembled it yet. I have everything..3 axis gyro/rx, brushless motor/ESC, lipo, servos just haven't got the time...lol.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
So, Walkera now has 3 CP and 2 FP helis with almost exactly the same specs and configuration?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
So, Walkera now has 3 CP and 2 FP helis with almost exactly the same specs and configuration?
This is a stripped down version of the Mini CP with no telemetry, cheaper motor and servos. This is almost certainly a direct response to the impending release of the WL Toys V922 and also the Skyartec Wasp100 Nano CP. This is what exactly happened with the V2 ladybird that was brought out to combat the clones. It is aimed right at the toy market rather than the hobby market.

The upshot is that instead of the Genius CP being regarded as obsolete and at risk of being discontinued. It is the Mini CP that is now at a much greater risk.

My vendor told me that the price of the Super CP can definitely go very low. So we are about to witness a massive price war between 100 sized CPs very soon.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,863 Posts
The Genius CP has 6 axis gyro that can also operate in 3 axis mode. The Mini CP can only operate in 3 axis mode so the two helis are not targeting the same buyer. For people who are moving from FP to CP the Genius is a better choice. For people who are already experienced with CP helis the Mini CP is better.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
I take it you haven't actually flown a Genius in 6 axis mode?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,252 Posts
Sure hope they use better quality in servos than the PURE TRASH they used in V400D02/ and Master C/P. Very minor mishap with V400 snapped both low quality top mounts and stripped gears on two servos. Blades did not even get a scratch. VERY low quality for plastics and SERVOS. I have bought many Walkrea products and find out the bigger stuff has TRASH for parts. Thank them for me and my new bird is down because nobody stocks parts I need. Now have to wait weeks/ months for stuff. Thank you VERY much.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Sure hope they use better quality in servos than the PURE TRASH they used in V400D02/ and Master C/P. Very minor mishap with V400 snapped both low quality top mounts and stripped gears on two servos. Blades did not even get a scratch. VERY low quality for plastics and SERVOS. I have bought many Walkrea products and find out the bigger stuff has TRASH for parts. Thank them for me and my new bird is down because nobody stocks parts I need. Now have to wait weeks/ months for stuff. Thank you VERY much.
Walkera recently released metal gear servos made for the MasterCP which doesn't cost much more than the stock plastic geared ones. Might give those a try.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:04 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I take it you haven't actually flown a Genius in 6 axis mode?
I'm assuming it behaves similar to my Master CP which is easy to fly with 6 axis gyro. My Master CP is easier to fly than my Mini CP.