HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:51 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Alert
1996 Toyota Corolla DX new Brakes - Calibers!

Well guys,

You would think that a car that is hardly used and maintained in the garage would be mechanically sound since keeping it from the elements but, it is not necessarily true!

This 1996 Corolla DX is my mom's car and it has only 85,804 miles and maintained in the Garage when not in use. I borrowed it on Friday morning since my own beater decided to slip a timing belt from an early morning attempt to start.

For more work on this Corolla then, go to :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1737059

and at Toyota Nation:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/4012462-post9.html

Anyway, on the way back home that Friday afternoon the car exhibited to have a condition of braking all by itself and the more I drove it and more it wanted to seize up on ALL wheels! Well, fortunately for me there was a mechanic shop right before the open road and I pulled in. They looked with disbelief and told me that the Calibers up front seemed to be locking up. Of course I told them that I do all my mechanical work and I just need to limp back home so, they relieved the Pressure on the brake lines and loosened up the back drum brakes to give me a good head start in my 24 mile journey.

The next day on Saturday, I was shocked to observed both front Caliber units all corroded and certainly locking up causing the back brakes to lock up themselves.

I did not take pictures of the old Calibers as I was totally shocked to find them in this condition. I own four (4) automobiles and need to keep better records on them to figure out which or what has been done on which when. I am so glad that this happened on my watch instead of during when my mom was using the car.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the NEW Calibers, Rotors, and Brake Pads.

Since the emergency visit at the Mechanic Shop resulted in a loosening up the back brakes so, I could get home without locking up, I had to re-adjust them to balance the brakes to work in union with the front brakes (balance).

Lessons Learned:
Always change Brake Fluid regularly as this kind of fluid attacks water molecules and your calibers will rust and you will find yourselves with a similar situation! When replacing front brakes such as rotors and pads, always check the Calibers for proper operation!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 18, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
Foam, foam on the range....
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Yep, put that down to inadequate maintenance - brake fluid is hygroscopic, and needs to be changed regularly, especially in a vehicle which is not driven very often, or very hard, as the fluid does not get hot enough to evaporate the moisture it absorbs.

Even worse, it can boil when your disks get hot under severe conditions, resulting in lack of fluid pressure, and lack of braking effort.

Oh, and by the way, they're calipers, not calibers (as in the size of a bullet, or the design of a watch movement)

Cheers
didge is offline Find More Posts by didge
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by didge View Post
Yep, put that down to inadequate maintenance - brake fluid is hygroscopic, and needs to be changed regularly, especially in a vehicle which is not driven very often, or very hard, as the fluid does not get hot enough to evaporate the moisture it absorbs.

Even worse, it can boil when your disks get hot under severe conditions, resulting in lack of fluid pressure, and lack of braking effort.

Oh, and by the way, they're calipers, not calibers (as in the size of a bullet, or the design of a watch movement)

Cheers
Thanks! I agree totally! Thanks for correcting the terms as well.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member