HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Help!
Help with my Walkera Master CP

I just purchased a Master CP and I cant seem to get it off the ground. I have a Devo 12 controller which yes I just purchased as well. I have a bit of experience with multirorter crafts though this is my first actual helicopter.

Ok, I plug in the battery and sink up with the transmitter, then I get a grinding sound until I start the throttle, at about 17% the grinding sound stops and anything passed that the propellers start to spin, from this point I have tried to make a few adjustments though one or both of two things happen, ether the craft spins out of control, or it banks sharply to the right or left.

What am I doing wrong? What settings do I need to mess with to correct these anomalies? I remember reading in a few forms awhile back that on some crafts the standard devo settings will cause crashes? Well, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Brandon G. is offline Find More Posts by Brandon G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:16 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
If you don't touch the cyclic and just push the throttle up. Does it still spin uncontrollably? Or does it just go left?

Browse the menu until you find the gyro settings and make sure it's at 60% or above. By default, my Devo7 has it at 50% (gyro off) so you may want to check that first.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
I might have figured it out, I took the shell off and watched it as I throttled up, two of the servos didnít seem to be working right, one not at all, the other seems to be locking up half the time.

So, next question is were is a good place to get a replacement servo and were would be a good place to find a good set of tools small enough for the job.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Hi,
take a look at this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=master+cp
Walkera will be selling metal gear servos for the master soon.
Plug in Alternative would be Futaba 3114
For Hitech Servos you need a programmer to reverse them
Best , most powerfull and most stable servos in my opinion are the Emax ES08md servos, to mount these you will have to modify the frame. With these servos i am flying my master with a brushless motor.
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon G. View Post
I might have figured it out, I took the shell off and watched it as I throttled up, two of the servos didn’t seem to be working right, one not at all, the other seems to be locking up half the time.

So, next question is were is a good place to get a replacement servo and were would be a good place to find a good set of tools small enough for the job.
Check TX if swash type is set to "normal". Anything other than Normal on a 3 axis gyro will make two of the servos go way up and the third way down when you hit the throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:51 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,173 Posts
Still, the servos shouldn't be damaged out of the box. It is still possible that there is nothing wrong and what you are seeing is correction by the gyro.

I just wonder if you could get someone with experience to check the heli out for you? The reason is that it is your first helicopter and it is very difficult to tell you what may or may not be wrong. I would also recommend that you get a set of training skids.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Check TX if swash type is set to "normal". Anything other than Normal on a 3 axis gyro will make two of the servos go way up and the third way down when you hit the throttle.
that was the first thing I checked... It is on normal... I was hoping it was somthing simple like that...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Still, the servos shouldn't be damaged out of the box. It is still possible that there is nothing wrong and what you are seeing is correction by the gyro.

I just wonder if you could get someone with experience to check the heli out for you? The reason is that it is your first helicopter and it is very difficult to tell you what may or may not be wrong. I would also recommend that you get a set of training skids.
Unfortunately I donít have any friends in the hobby, and there are not local hobby shops still in business were I live... Otherwise that would be a excellent option, though I'm fairly confident about the servos, I've built a few RC cars and have worked with a few servos, and having taken a look at them after unplugging the battery I know something is wrong, one is completely loose with no resistance, the another is completely immovable and the third moves exactly as a servo is meant to with that slight bit of mechanical resistance. Worst yet I bought the heli off Ebay...I know...bad move...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon G. View Post
Unfortunately I donít have any friends in the hobby, and there are not local hobby shops still in business were I live... Otherwise that would be a excellent option, though I'm fairly confident about the servos, I've built a few RC cars and have worked with a few servos, and having taken a look at them after unplugging the battery I know something is wrong, one is completely loose with no resistance, the another is completely immovable and the third moves exactly as a servo is meant to with that slight bit of mechanical resistance. Worst yet I bought the heli off Ebay...I know...bad move...
Perhaps the gears in 2 of the servos are broken, one loose one stuck with a broken pieace of the gears, the walkera servos are very weak an some servo lost his teeth only by movin it by hand...
the cheapes way is to buy replacement gears after you have opend the servos an checked if the gears are really broken.
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Did you buy it used?? Sounds like stripped servos. Did you program your Devo with the settings for the Master CP from the manual?
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,368 Posts
Sounds like something is way off right from the start. I have about five new Walkrea helis and every one flew right out of the Box. Plus have five Walkrea Quads , same story. If this crashed I'm sure its servos as I crashed my new V400D02 and stripped a servo. My fault as made bad decisipon to fly it indoors. My Master went right into a nice hover in very tight space. This is not a good heli for your first one, but thats your call. Many flyers think a heli is piece of cake, some are, some not. Ebay is not a good place to buy a heli, some may not argee. Dumping a heli with blades turning and stock servos spell striped servos.
Hope you find answer you need here. Not a bad idea to check with local RC club.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
I think this was a good example of “live and learn” taking a look at the gears of the servos, yup there striped, I've been talking to the vender I purchased it from, and I do think it was entirely my fault...I did not read all the manual and I went off default settings and likely striped the servos before I even powered up the throttle. Thank you guys for your help!

Any good suggestions on a good place to get replacement servo parts?

While I'm waiting on those any good suggestions as to Devo settings beyond what is lined out in the manual for a new flyer such as myself? On that subject any suggestions as to perhaps a easier craft to start out in with 3D helis? I was also looking at the Genius CP V2, a smaller craft, good idea?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
Depends on where you are but I get my parts from www.ehirobo.com. They seem to have an extensive inventory of spare parts.

How exactly did default settings strip the servos? Using a devo7, there's nothing on it that will damage a heli. At worst the pitch isn't zeroed but that's it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,368 Posts
The Master is easier to fly but will cost more to fix. Genius c/p V2 will take more abuse. I have both Master c/p and Genius c/p v1. Since you have Devo 12 get a L:adybird V1 quad. Flys great and good practice for a c/p later.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,173 Posts
You can also download custom Master CP settings for your Devo 12 from Walkera's site

http://www.walkera.com/en1/radio_soft.jsp

You will need to create an account first. After that, click on the Devo 12 icon and you will see a list of models available down the page.

You will also need to download a software for upgrading the Devo 12 first.

These settings may be on the aggressive side but you can adjust them later.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw