HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Build Log
JU-52 Lufthansa 1/20 scale ( 57 1/2") electric

I must be doing something wrong. I started My Tri-Pacer not knowing that Pat Tritle was doing one at the same time, so I did a Halberstadt and Rob Caso
started his museum quality build, so I did a JU-52 silver Lufthansa, and Hobby King just announced their ARF version. Well, at least mine has three motors.
( sigh )
By chance if you followed my JU-52 Build Log back in July (JU-52 Electric Parkflyer 1/20 scale 571/2 span), about the middle of page 4 I did a "epilogue"
outlining the problems with the early flights (crashes) and the solutions. I felt like the corrections required a second prototype to be built, and not wanting to repeat the camo version opted for the silver Lufthansa version, simulated corrigations and all.

Note:
The first JU-52 delivered to Lufthansa was named "Oswald Boelcke" after the WWI German ace and father of fighter tactics.

The planes were constructed of corrogated aluminum and then PAINTED silver to prevent corrosion.
B. Bradley is offline Find More Posts by B. Bradley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,811 Posts
Very nice work on a rarely modeled bird.
I've seen one up close at local air show, and its a unique ship...lots of "out-thrust" in outer engines...
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Very nice model

I have to say that I like the silver model better, very nice and a perfect size. I will check out your build of the first one. Do you have plans?
Rob Caso
casor is offline Find More Posts by casor
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Rob, thanks for the kind words. Manzano Laser will have the short kit soon, I think. (Charlie??) Plans are not available separately. Stay tuned, you might find the silver finish interesting.
Bill
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:42 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Starting the Build

The new silver JU-52 has revised plans, laser cut parts from Manzano Laser, and plastic cowls and simulated motors from Parkflyer Plastics. That stack of wood includes the wheel pant parts (spats) , and most of the sheeting. You will need some balsa and spruce 1/8 sq sticks and a couple of 1/16 sheets.

The fuselage is started by assembling the 1/16 laser cut sides and outlining with 1/8 sticks and the pre cut wing root doubler.

Assemble the lite-ply formers, F-1, F-2 and F-3 to battery floor F-9. Then add N-4 and N-5. All formers are square to floor F-9.

At this point in hindsight I would assemble and epoxy the nose motor mount to N-4. Pictures show it slipped in later.

Laminate nose formers N-1, N-2, and N-3 as directed and glue square to N-4 using F-9L, and F-9R as cantilever supports.

Add the nose motor mount assembly to to N-4 (if not done previously) and insert top and bottom supports N-6 and N-7.

You can see now that the battery floor extends to the motor mount (N-4), and is wide enough for two 1750 Lipos. That is the purpose of this re-design.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Really nice!

Great design job Bill, and very complete. I know what you mean about being very fragile during the build - until it's all together it has to be handled with care, but when done all the parts rely on all the others which means it was designed correctly. I think I may get this one as you really did your homework here. Always liked this airplane.....I feel that printed or inked on corrugations are fine for a model of this size. Still looks the business....!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Not on Manzano site yet

What CAD prog are you using Bill?
Rob
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:09 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Cad?

Rob, I am using Visual Cad V6. It is a 2D program that is not expensive but will do everything you would want to do. one of the new featurs is the ability to import a scanned 3 view drawing so it can be re scaled and traced directly. I have tried a couple of 3D CAD demos, and just can't get the hang of it. Give anything to be able to do 3D CADD like Paul Kohlmann.

Bill B.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Perfectionists lead such frustrated lives....

I know what you mean Bill. I am using DesignCAD in 2d. Has a 3d option but have not really tried to do it yet. Some of my buddies are doing Solidworks and T-Cad 3d and are very good at it. Makes me feel stupid. I have actually had some parts 3d printed - a new spinner for my CL.II for example....
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Spinner

I finally got rid of the "pointy" commercial one and made this one from fiberglass cloth over foam. Looks O.K. on mine but would not dream of using it on yours. :-)

Yes, the Swordfish in the background is yours. 10" 3 blade prop, Love it!

O.K. I wish the program designers would standerdze on basic commands, terminology, and icons. Just to learn to trim a line between Visual CAD; and Adobe Illustrator is a two hour discovery chore. Just the words horizontal and vertical seem to be unknown to these whiz kids. They had to invent portrait and landscape. And don't get me started on the typeface commands that have been invented out of thin air, but have been in common use for 500 years.

Sorry Rob, I just get wound up.

Bill
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:15 AM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Lol

It's like the hotdog mfgr's making them in 10's and the roll mfgr's making them in 8's! New spinner looks good - think I spied a Swordfish there too. Looks like you and I pretty much have the same 85 favorite airplanes. I am making the CL.II now in 138" WS, 1/3 scale. Still in CAD but my little one has the scale rib spacing etc. that will carry over. Lot of building on the bigger one but should not be too hard. I am probably going to use EDM for making the millions of brackets for rigging/struts etc.

Little one came out a bit heavy at 54oz, think the fuse was overbuilt since it went through a few design iterations - I had been plinking at that design for a number of yrs and should have just started anew. Flies OK though, just very nose tippy right now and had a bit of a t/o accident at NEAT with a supposed exp guy getting it off the ground. Not bad, it will fly again....
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:21 AM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
New CL.II

BTW, I really like the camo you chose on the CL.II and I am thinking of doing that one for the biggie. Problem with that airplane is that there is not much in the way of documentation. I chose the cover girl for my little one since there were (4) photos in the Windsock book of it. I am planning on competing at TG with the larger model if I ever get it done. I have invites, just no dress to wear right now. But I will probably get creamed with the CL.II even if I ever learn to fly as there is just no doc out there on it. The rules say you're not supposed to be penalized for that but, in reality, you are b/c someone with alot of doc will get more points if the model is accurate.

BTW, I did the cockpit for Dave Wigley's new Beaufighter - he did an incredible job on the airplane.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Oh Rob... a 1/3 scale Halberstadt CLII ... it will be beautiful!
I must assume it will not be electric? 4 stroke?? I can't wait to see it! You will have pictures and stuff in the magazines? A Build Log? Keep us posted!

O.K. tell me that you are not even thinking about a FW-189 or a VAL, or even a BV-138 ?

I have almost memorized your Mosquito plans from Flying Scale Models. I thought your retract design would work for a FW-189....

I hope you will put a crew in your new CLII I put them in mine , even tho they are out of scale. Your Swordfish also has a crew of three. I like people in the planes.

My rant about program designers was in hopes that they would realize that standardazation would sell more product. You know,... sell,... profit,... this a good thing....easier to use.

O.K. Rob, last question and then to bed. What is (face is red) EDM?

Bill Bradley
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:03 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Sep 2007
229 Posts
Rob, I wish I could give you the documentation for the paint scheme. It was a combination of plastic models, museum photos, and a verbal description of the application of paint on the fuselage. Generic losenge wings, white tailfeathers, and markings from a plastic model. Alltogether I thought it looked pretty good for a parkflyer, but proof was not needed.

I will have to search for the description of the paint application if it woulod be useful to you.

Bill
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
Hey Bill

For the large CL I will be using 2 stk gas probably with a Mick Reeves belt drive which will help get the prop on center. Even so I will still need a prop shaft ext to keep the cyl inside and out of the way of the scale engine. I am the king of biting off more than I can chew - I have the 1/4 scale Severin Storch to do, will probably get the all glass Vogelsang 1/5 Fw-190 and I am buying a partially built 1/5 scale Macchi 202. I also would love to do a large Mossie one day.

I know the 189 and its wacky, sideways retracting tailwheel, a VAL is an interesting idea and the BV-138 is pretty neat also. I have always liked the Fw-187 - also with a Mosquito LG the design of which I am going to use on my 80" elec Sparviero that I am doing now.
http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircr...ircraft_id=573

Amazingly, the retracting LG for my little Mosquito still works very well - it actually got better as it got older as things broke in since it is all bushed. It would be easy to adapt this design for a number of other planes of the day. The little Mossie is probably the best flying model I have.

Absolutely cannot have a scale model w/o a pilot - just d/n look right.

EDM is electronic discharge machining. Basically it's an electrically charged wire that cuts metal very precisely and is usually vertically mounted vs a foam cutting hot wire. Same idea. I have a good friend that runs such a machine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...arge_machining

Re the CL, I have the initial plastic kit put out by Mirage which is very nice - wish I could get some time to do some plastic. I know going in that I will be at a disadvantage but I like the airplane and I am not going to build a Mustang. I will probably put a full crew in it. D Wigley gave me some help simplifying the fuselage but the whole thing is intimidating since it's so big. Can't see this thing weighing more than 30 lbs. I a may do a build log - first I have to figure out how I am going to do some of it, mainly details like strut connections etc. This one is complicated by the fact that everything has to come apart. But I am probably going to do alot of it just like the full scale. I have resto pics of a CL.IV which was similar.

Thanks for your note....
Rob