HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 7rider, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Discussion
Hitec Hawkeye

A new EPO chuck glider I picked up this weekend at Aero Micro for my son. Slightly larger than the Multiplex Fox and less expensive at $9.99. Glides very well, and looks like it has potential as a motorized or slope glider project. I bought the E-Flite Edge 540 QQ, and we joked that you could buy 17 of these gliders for the cost of the E-Flite Edge 540 QQ
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Last edited by 7rider; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I'm surprised nobody posted a reply to this post. I agree with you. I just looked at the Hitec Hawkeye and thought the same thing. With a 22 inch wingspan and weighing only 2.25 ounces, it has a very light wingloading. I wasn't thinking so much about powering it. I was thinking about cutting rudder, elevator, and ailerons into it though, and using it for some interesting slope soaring. It looks nearly indestructible and probably would make a very good little slope soarer. But I might also want to toss it off of the roof of my house for shorter flights.

Anyway, I see it can't apparently be ordered online, so I'll try to snag one at the hobby shop the next time I'm in Amarillo. Any idea how much it costs?
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Nevermind...I found one on Ebay and bought it, since it's very reasonable.
The glider is $9.99, and I found one with only $2.50 shipping costs.

So it's on the way, and I will work on converting it to a lightweight little RC hand-toss glider/slope soarer. Another thing that might be fun is to tow it up behind something else, since it's so light, and then make a release for the tow line. I think I'll pursue that option while I'm at it.

I'll post pics here when I get to that point.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I got my Hitec Hawkeye yesterday! I forgot all about that thing.
Of course, the color scheme on mine is reversed from the one shown in the photo above. The fuselage is orange and everything else is white.

When I went to pick it up from USPS, the guy asked me if someone mailed you some air, because it honestly felt like an empty box. LOL. But he was right and I told him I think so. This little glider hardly weighs anything at all.
So when I got it home, I put the wing and horiz stab on and tossed it across the family room. WOW does that thing fly good! It REALLY flies well. Much slower sink rate than I would have expected for such a short wingspan.

So now I really am looking at RC-ing it and making it a 3-channel glider. I'm not going to bother with powering it because I don't want to add the weight. But I will be installing 4 servos as small as I can find them, right in the fuselage under the wing. 2 servos will control ailerons cut into the wing, from the wing root to about midspan or so. 2 more servos will control the rudder and elevator, which will use lightweight pushrods.
The "Canopy" is a separate piece that has been glued on to the fuselage. So I'll cut the canopy loose and install a very small lipo, BEC and receiver in there.

I might install a 5th servo. This is the perfect little glider to ride piggy-back on top of another airplane, and I'll need the 5th servo to create a release mechanism underneath the fuselage. I'll try to preserve the factory CG and add as little weight as possible to this fantastic little glider.

Best thing is, it's EPP foam, which is almost indestructable!
Very cool.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:19 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Depending on how this first effort turns out, I may decide to buy a second one for $10 bucks and try installing a small motor on that one. Jeeze, for $10 bucks, I could buy a dozen of them for what I could spend on a kit. Why not?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Oddly, this thread doesn't seem to be attracting much attention. Anyway, in case anybody's interested, here is a Youtube video of someone who has done an RC conversion. This is only a 2-channel, but it gets impressive hang time from just a hand launch. Imagine what it could do on a piggy back ride up to altitude.

RC HiTec HawkEye Glider (1 min 21 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Okay since this thread seems to be completely still-born, I will start my own thread on the RC conversion of this plane when I get started on it.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:13 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
please do. I am thinking of converting one of these too, but with a motor, using UM stryker guts... I cant belive no one has done it yet
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I'm not sure about the motor myself. Still thinking about that. Might be a pretty cool conversion to Jetex though! I can't believe how well this little glider flies. Obviously to keep it flying this good, you'd have to keep the weight as low as possible.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:48 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
yea for sure. the stryker RX/ESC is 7.8gr, the servos are 2.3gr each, and the motor is a tiny outrunner.... Im still trying to convince my brother he really doesnt like his stryker so he should trade it to me....
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I thought a pusher motor right on the tail would work very well. And it would. But adding that much weight to a long tail moment would have to be counter-balanced with the lipo in the nose. I could do it and probably come in at 4 ounces, with lipo, motor, and 4 servos, but that doubles the wing loading and all of a sudden, it has to fly at jet speeds just to fly.

That's when I took a step back and thought, there must be another way.

I've got some extremely lightweight electronics on my Uberlite planes that would work very well. Problem is, the receiver on the Uberlites have extremely spotty reception and a range of only about 50 ft. But maybe if it's taken off of something else. Like your idea, to take them off a Stryker.

I just bought 4 servos, a receiver, and a Bee motor from Dymond. Servos are 2.2 grams each, and the Bee outrunner puts out 2.9 ounces of thrust and is about the diameter of a dime. That equipment is meant for Pat Tritle's AJ-404 Intercepter RC plane kit that I bought. But I could conceivably mock it all up on the Hawkeye glider to test out the feasiblity of using something like that. It's a thought...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Okay, I got my tiny little lightweight components to build the 4 channel Pat Tritle AJ-404 Interceptor, almost the smallest stuff available. Everything totalled about 2.50 ounces, which really isn't that much. Very little. But when you install it all in a glider that only weighs 1.57 ounces, it completely changes the flight characteristics. With all that stuff, the Hawkeye would weigh about 4 ounces. It would still fly, but it would have to fly like a bullet. It would no longer be the sweet little glider that flies so well.

There is one other idea I have that might make this a reasonable 4-channel RC plane.
Well actually a couple of ideas.

Probably the most viable is to take the guts out of an old Night Vapor and RC it that way. It would only be a tailfeather plane, but it would remain light. I do have a very light setup on an Uberlite, but the receiver is horrible on those. And those are significantly lighter than a Hawkeye, so I'm not sure they'd be effective. The Night Vapor...maybe.

The other idea would be to not install a motor on this (like the guy in the video above). You could either keep it a glider for only a slight weight gain, or else install a Jetex motor tube in it for a few seconds of rocket power to boost it up to altitude. That's something I might think about.

If you didn't use Jetex, you could still carry this up, piggy back on another RC plane and then release at will and glide back down. That's something I suggested to the guy in the video.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:57 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
OK, I managed to convince my brother to trade my mustang for his stryker, so this build is going to happen! .... woohoo.... Soon as I get some time I will strip everything out of the stryker frame and weigh it....
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:25 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
By the way, I needed to cut a slot in the nose and stick a penny in my Hawkeye to get it to glide right. Mine also has a right turn tendancy, which is correctible with a little left rudder. I'd still really like to RC it, but taking my time figuring out exactly how would be best, without adding a lot of weight.

About the lightest I could get it and make it 4 channel with a small motor, is about 4 ounces, and it's gonna fly pretty fast at that weight, with these little wings. I don't want to lose that much flying quality. So still in a thinking about it mode.