SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,979 Posts
Discussion
6044 Micro Quad, nothing to see here keep moving on :p

Just test flew a sample quad and thought I was flying a Hubsan X4. Their programming has definately been copied. I'm going to try some outdoor flight.

Video is up:

6044 UFO micro quad flight test (5 min 10 sec)
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; May 13, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
Does it look like the X4/QR-1?
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
104 Posts
worthless post without pics/details! Sharing is caring
specgie is offline Find More Posts by specgie
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
You talking about the V202's?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,616 Posts

Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,979 Posts
Looks nothing like the Hubsan. I've tried to bind the Hubsan controller to the mystery quad and vice versa to no avail. The RX circuit board is standard square format so it should fit the other micro-quad frames. The TX doesn't seem to share anything with the X4 controller. The motor connections are soldered.

The only thing that seems cloned is the programming. It acts just like the X4 with all it's hyperactive twitchiness. I flew it in some pretty windy gusts and it handles wind just like the X4. I would say they copied the X4 programming to at least 85%, but then again the boom arms are standard micro quad sized, not short like the X4, so that could be the difference I'm feeling.

The quad comes in at 28.6 grams without battery and has slightly less rotor-to-rotor diagonal dimensions as the Mini Pet (about 4.75" diagnonal).

I'm really surprised no one has let the cat out of the bag and this may not be the only clone: if any of the others that use the same controller are the same quad with different bodies, they should fly just as well.

Hubsan must have some good lawyers or something because I suspect other quads introduced recently are the same, but none of the representatives want to even elude to the fact that theirs may be a Hubsan clone.

We're definately getting an order of these and I'm going to see if I can cancel my Hubsan order as I don't like waiting in line. I'll post pictures WHEN we have them in stock, or when someone else let's the cat out of the bag. Sorry guys, we want dibbs on this before other vendors jump in on it (if they even decide to), but at least you don't have to worry about us buying 50K units so no one else can get an order in.

Oh, and don't ask James, he's asleep and I haven't had a chance to tell him yet

And no, it's not the V202, but I'll know what's up with the V202 on Thursday.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
What kind of canopy? I know it has be an insect.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
What kind of canopy? I know it has be an insect.
It would be a giveaway, but I know you personally will like it.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Hmmmm. My imagination is running wild.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Looks nothing like the Hubsan. I've tried to bind the Hubsan controller to the mystery quad and vice versa to no avail. The RX circuit board is standard square format so it should fit the other micro-quad frames. The TX doesn't seem to share anything with the X4 controller. The motor connections are soldered.

The only thing that seems cloned is the programming. It acts just like the X4 with all it's hyperactive twitchiness. I flew it in some pretty windy gusts and it handles wind just like the X4. I would say they copied the X4 programming to at least 85%, but then again the boom arms are standard micro quad sized, not short like the X4, so that could be the difference I'm feeling.

The quad comes in at 28.6 grams without battery and has slightly less rotor-to-rotor diagonal dimensions as the Mini Pet (about 4.75" diagnonal).

I'm really surprised no one has let the cat out of the bag and this may not be the only clone: if any of the others that use the same controller are the same quad with different bodies, they should fly just as well.

Hubsan must have some good lawyers or something because I suspect other quads introduced recently are the same, but none of the representatives want to even elude to the fact that theirs may be a Hubsan clone.

We're definately getting an order of these and I'm going to see if I can cancel my Hubsan order as I don't like waiting in line. I'll post pictures WHEN we have them in stock, or when someone else let's the cat out of the bag. Sorry guys, we want dibbs on this before other vendors jump in on it (if they even decide to), but at least you don't have to worry about us buying 50K units so no one else can get an order in.

Oh, and don't ask James, he's asleep and I haven't had a chance to tell him yet

And no, it's not the V202, but I'll know what's up with the V202 on Thursday.
85% is not a clone. How do you get this percentage?
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,092 Posts
I don't want to sound nit-picky... but... how is it an X4 clone if it looks nothing like it? The fact it might have similar handling characteristics is not enough for a clone label.
After all, the primary reason many people initially went for the X4 is the visual appeal, the "look". Personally I've always felt the X4 looks cleverer than it actually is, but that's entirely my own (humble) opinion.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkomit View Post
85% is not a clone. How do you get this percentage?
That's my subjective opinion. The handling characteristics are just like the Hubsan. If the booms were shorter I'd say the difference is even less. Now if I try the Stonecutter test by placing the quad on an angle and take off, it doesn't compensate the like the original. The quad binds almost instantly, no waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
I don't want to sound nit-picky... but... how is it an X4 clone if it looks nothing like it? The fact it might have similar handling characteristics is not enough for a clone label.
After all, the primary reason many people initially went for the X4 is the visual appeal, the "look". Personally I've always felt the X4 looks cleverer than it actually is, but that's entirely my own (humble) opinion.
I would say that alot of us mostly care how a quad flies and it's functionality. Looks are secondary, not discounting that the Hubsan looks sexy. People that have never flown before may buy on looks. People that have flown quads before look a little bit deeper.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:03 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,092 Posts
That's why I said "initially".
Nobody knew anything about it until a reasonable number of buyers began giving their impressions.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:00 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
405 Posts
My guess is this one

XFM is offline Find More Posts by XFM
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
My guess is this one

To quote a customer "Winner winner, chicken dinner". We're not worried about securing an order of these, so I'm less reluctant to confirm the cat got out.

I'll do a video later today.

I suspect that the Ares is also a Hubsan clone: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780524

And that if it is, even with that large canopy, it should do decent in the wind. Let's see if they're willing to confirm that it's a Hubsan clone.

So I'm throwing my PR (you need to think about business) hat off and telling you the goods and bads of the 6044 and let me know if it's something you all would still buy, keeping in mind that the X4 may eventually be a Traxxas-only item:

Notes:

- It's basically an X4 in a different chasis. I've confirmed this with 2 suppliers. It's not built by Hubsan, but the flight characteristics is basically cloned. How can this be? There's a bunch of RC toy manufacturers that all make the same product or one manufacturer makes stuff for another. It's like a conglomerate of companies that all do business together.

- Prop guards do work, great for inside and has taken a few crashes outside in a field, haven't broken them yet although they look flimsly they seem to do the job. By the time you break them, you'll be a good enough flier that you won't need them............remember, it flies like a Hubsan, so crashes are rare. Blades are still in very good condition. The minimal prop guard design is nice as it provides less of a profile for wind to affect it vs EPO foam guards that are Overkill. With the X4, I could leave it in a heavy gust and it would require little counter-stick to fight it. The 6044 I have to apply slightly more counter-stick in heavy gusts, but it's not alot and it has no problems going into the wind. Prop guard are not removeable but spares are available, but would require soldering to replace.

- Has higher standoffs to help clear grass, similar to the V939. I've been able to take off from a crash more vs other quads where I have to rescue them. The problem with the standoffs is that they aren't keyed and can rotate on a crash. You could super glue them to the upper motor holders, but if the motor cap pops off, you won't be able to easily repair it. The props have integrated prop guards and seem to be interchangeable with the V939\V202, but mine weren't installed all the way. I'll check later if the can be pushed on more to where they'll prevent motor caps from popping off.

- Because it's traditional micro-quad sized, it's easier to see than the X4. Painting the rear prop guards yellow may increase this visibility. The LED eys are huge and superior to the X4. The canopy has vents in the rear allowing you to see the internal LEDs for power, so it helps a little with orientation at night. It's not close to the Mini Pet, which is the queen of nighttime flying, but much better than the X4

- The RX board is square and should fit other micro quad frames for experimentation. Motor wires are soldered, just like the X4

- The canopy doesn't secure via the booms, there are two plastic standoffs mounted at what would be corner screws (RX board is secured by 2 screws like the Hubsan) and the canopy is hot-glued, as are the LED eyes. To use the canopy on other quads, like the H36, you would have to tape, hot glue, or rubber band the canopy on. Because the LEDs are hot glued to the canopy and the LEDs are soldered to the RX board, you can take the canopy off, but not remove it. I'm also guessing the generous amount of hot glue holding the LEDs in is probably adding .5-1g to total weight. The canopy is flat matte finish, which I like from an abrasion standpoint, but not from a visual one (to see it better).

- Booms are aluminum, much smaller than the MP, but strong. They're about the same thickness as the H36.

- TX is a mixed bag. I like the flip\dual rate button,which is mounted on the left top, but wish it was on the right side of the TX, which is where the forward\backwards trim is located. It takes awhile to get used to the different trim setup, but once you figure it out, it's not too bad. To flip, just hit the flip rocker, and use cyclic in the direction you want to flip. Flip won't work if you're already in cyclic when you press it. Because it's a rocker, you could accidently hit the dual rate side instead of the flip side of the rocker until you remember which is which, but because it has Hubsan-like programming, full rates won't make you crash like other quads that flip over and crash when the stick is pushed too far.

It should be possible to take the TX apart and swap the switches around (EDIT: not possible, ribbon cables too short). It takes 6 AA batteries and the battery tray requires the screw to hold it down, which makes changing the batteries slightly more work, whereas the MP TX, you don't need to have the screw installed on the battery door for it to be secured. Range seems good and the antenna wire seems functional, I don't believe it uses a circuit board antenna (will re-verify).

I'll update this as I find out more. So is this something you all would buy over the X4 or not?
Site Sponsor