Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:34 PM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Thanx for all the input guys. Each unit has its own intake and exhaust , so there shouldn't be a airflow issue. The third unit will come out top of wing and be ducted by turtle deck. That unit also pulls the air across the electronics through the batt compartment. There is a scoop under nose,not attached yet, to allow air to enter batt compartment.
RogueAce is offline Find More Posts by RogueAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:52 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,749 Posts
Here is a couple ways to parallel batteries that I come up with. The first one is just copper circuit board it's about 1in.x 1/2in. on the left it was soldered direct to the esc you can see on the left where I cut it loose from the esc. And then I can parallel 3 batteries or you could add bullets on a bigger board to do as many packs as needed. It's a nice clean setup. The second is what Im using now if I parallel batteries. left side is to parallel 2 packs you could add as many set of wires as needed. other side is going to esc. I did it this way in case I want to swap it to another model. It could always be soldered to the esc. Bullets make it way easier to parallel or series batteries deans you have way more crap on a series setup. Another tip on soldering tin your wires first then I get a bit of copper wire not the stuff you are using for the bat leads. I use something that is a bit heavier and pull a strand out of the casing and twist it around the wires where you are joining them. This helps hold them together and also helps conduct the current better. Also make sure after you solder you clean all the joints you solder with denatured alcohol to get all flux off or you will get corrosion very fast. Tinning all your stuff first will make it so you will need way less solder. If your connection is just blobbing solder up you either are not hot enough or you might need to flux the joint better. Most times I do not use flux. if the heat is right it should just wick right in to the wire.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Last edited by unclecrash; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: forgot pics
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:09 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,749 Posts
Here is a good example of not enough heat. My I found out my tip was not grounding out properly. It is another way to parallel packs the one end will accept 2 packs Paralleled the other end to the esc. I found I liked this better than the first board that the bullets are standing up on. The second the wires stay in line and easier to get into a tight area. the positive on one side the board the neg's on the other. On the board with the bullets standing up I just dremeled the copper off the center to make two banks pos and neg.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Sorry for the lapse in build guys. I had to take a break to knock out a gift for my sister's birthday on the 19th. Built her a nice cedar chest !! Should be back to bench tomorrow !!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:04 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Got bench all reset and ready to go!! SO.......Who thinks that I'm gonna get a wicked case of torque roll ??? I DO !! I think that I should install a gyro on the Ails to keep it level....just for insurance.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:14 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
nah, I think you'll be better off than you think you'll be. small rotational masses, not at all like as if there were three props spinning in the same direction.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:25 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,389 Posts
cut build fly
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:57 PM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Progress , progress !! Engines mounted in fuse, forward fuse attached, center fuse redesigned and built as well as inlet sides attached !! Nice day at the bench so far. I also cut notch in wing for third unit clearence. Pre-fit to get a look at what's to come. VERY NICE!!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:49 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Looking good.I don't know what foam you're using,but Depron has a grain.If this is similar might be better to have it running the same way on each wing?
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:50 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,389 Posts
Look's great
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:41 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Stuart ...I am using $Tree foam. I know what you are talking about , but you can't make the wing out of one piece of $Tree foam...not big enough. I have been debating on cutting another half out. The wing will have a carbon spar and balsa leading edge as well for strength.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:01 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
New wing half laminated and notch-cut. Will be putting in spar and balsa leading edges as well.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
ing ing!!! Have done alot of work and reconfiguring just to see that this set up will not push this scale size. So ....I'm looking at this thing coming together and I say.."that is a big bird"...so I figured I'd give this thing a test. Loaded up batteries hooked it all up . NOT GONNA HAPPEN !!! Cranked it up to full throttle and she barely wanted to slide across bench !! That is without tails ,aft fuse top and elevs....plus all servos and linkages..coverings and paint.... Will have to surgically remove engine mount and start again. This scale will become a twin..or larger mm Ronin.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Going to try and lighten the weight some.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:41 AM
Air Assassin
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts
Well let me just make this obvious statement. Less batteries = less weight. HOWEVER... I don't like possible results.