Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by raymondpro
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
i cant perfect hovering my KDS 450 QS

hi..guys.. my problem is my kds 450 qs hovering.. when i want to lift my heli slowly.. it always move to the left.. my friend told me if this thing happens. i just trim the stick to the right... but it doesnt work.. its not perfect... my kds 450 qs is 15 days old....
raymondpro is offline Find More Posts by raymondpro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
the great Gassifďer
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
7,543 Posts
The drift to the left is perfectly natural, and you should NOT counteract that with trim!

Your problem is, that this drift inhibits you to continue the lift-off, and it is this "grey area" between standing and flying that is the culprit.

try to pass this intermediate stage of wandering and drifting on the ground as quick as possible, by garefully but surely applying more collective pitch until the helicopter is taking of.

Now the trick is, to counteract the drift by temporarily applying slight right cyclick, and return cyclick to neutral as soon as the skids have lost groundcontact.

By now your helicopter will start drifing in all other kinds of directions, and the name of the game now is to counteract all these movements with small but temporary cyclick movements of the stick.

ONLY if you notice a continuous tendency to move to one side while flying and despite multiple corrections in the opposite direction that you can trim, until the helicopter displays an uniform tendency to go everywhere.

But it is not an easy thing, flying a helicopter, so it will take you some time to get this in your system....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
thanks for more info bert... ill try it again
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
5,925 Posts
You usually run into this even when you're still flying 4ch micros. Did you go straight into the 450 or did you have a helicopter prior to this?
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:59 PM
Find More Posts by ASTREA1
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,279 Posts
Completely normal as Brutus stated. Any single rotor helicopter uses a tailrotor to counteract the torque produced by the main rotor. As you start to apply pitch, the gyro senses the the nose trying to yaw left and counteracts that by adding more pitch to the tailrotor blades. The more power used, the more torque the T/R will have to compensate, so you basically have a vector of thrust sliding you left when you have skids perfectly level(Think of your T/R becoming a small propeller). It real rotorcraft, there is no gyro, so you actually have to hold right pedal and bring the left skid up first and continue holding pressure, decreasing it as you start to gain forward airspeed. Vice versa in American helicopters with a counter clockwise rotating rotor. Luckily we have gyros

So just give a blip of right cyclic right when you know she is going to rise up off the ground, and get a feel for the "sweet spot".
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by LarsDennert
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I'd spend $40 for a cheap fp to learn basic flight. Your first crash with the 450 will cost more than that.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by HeliSmith
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
You can trim your helicopter if you do not plan on flying inverted was the old rule for flybar'd helis. But now flybarless is trimmed in both directions. So if you do use trim now then upgrade to flybarless before you try inverted flight..

Hovering takes practice, and after all it is pretty fun so keep having fun the rest will come.
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
for now.. i dont plan inverted flying .. ill wait my knowledge to learn that..i always fly in flight pheonix simulator.. but actual flying is different..

and TAKE NOTE!! everytime my heli is in front of me.. i always lost in my orientation.. any tips?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
the great Gassifďer
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
7,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondpro View Post
and TAKE NOTE!! everytime my heli is in front of me.. i always lost in my orientation.. any tips?
Not really.... for loss of orientation there is unfortunately no other cure than practise practise practise, or fit an autonomous flying system (but unfortunately, thát will really prevent you from learning anything)

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by ASTREA1
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,279 Posts
Are you using training gear? If you are loosing orientation I would definitely recommend a set so you don't snag a skid or something along those lines.. The most important part of hovering is knowing what the helicopter is going to do before it does it. Always anticipate what it is going to do and think ahead of it so you can make proper corrections. Back when I first started with tail in hovers (No simulator), I would tend to be jumpy on the sticks and over correct alot. With practice you will get smoother and smoother and your hover area will become smaller. Always make small, smooth corrections.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondpro View Post
for now.. i dont plan inverted flying .. ill wait my knowledge to learn that..i always fly in flight pheonix simulator.. but actual flying is different..

Yes. Don't get intimidated.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by winndaddy
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Don't be intimidated..Make sure you practice your hovering like crazy on your simulator. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT>That means hovering nose out, nose in, and side ways to you in both directions.... Do this like crazy until its all muscle memory and you don't have to think about it. If you're still hesitant on which way to move the sticks, then YOU'RE NOT READY!

Some people it takes 2 days on the similator before they are ready. Some it takes alot longer. Be patient, and practice all your hovering angles. If you don't, you're gonna bust up that heli for sure.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Last edited by winndaddy; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
thanks for helping me and giving tips guys,,... ill appreciate that ... now im using the training kit legs for anti crash .... now i know... practice practice pratice... makes perfect... :P

my training kit legs
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by LarsDennert
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Watch and learn
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL507A4FEADE61ABE5
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by nazr1e
Malaysia, Melaka, Merlimau
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Nice blades raymond. I also own a KDS 450 QS and just crashed it yesterday... the blades were totally broken and i broke the main gear teeth..just wanna ask a few questions, can I use 325mm blades? because the stock blades' size was 315mm, and about the main gear, can i use other brands? is it universal size/specs for 450 helis?
thanks in advance..
nazr1e is offline Find More Posts by nazr1e