SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:37 PM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
its so hit or miss around here, some days 50-60 other days its in the 40s. Im right in the center right outside raleigh. The temp isnt too big, its the wind and rain, i havent flown in like 4 or 5 weeks its killing me. I like to fly all weekend long from sun up to sun down.
Nicky2times is offline Find More Posts by Nicky2times
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
rudder servo and motor

Ok getting closer to finishing up. Installed the rudder servo with the gear to the front of the plane. Once again attaching the carbon rudder servo arm to a stock arm. When doing pull pull wires i cross mine in the fuse, its just my preference. Now i like to secure my ball links to the arm with the brass wire adjusters screwed in a few turns into each one. From there i loop my wires through the brass crimp ring and make a loop back into it. I like my wires to be snug but not too tight, I have found out its best to tape the rudder in place while pulling on the cables before crimping them in place. After crimping the wires, you will need to adjust the tension according like to your liking. Some like theirs tight i like mine snug, Its personal preference.

Mounting the motor, Redwing does provide a thin piece of ply with holes drilled in it for the dle 30. In the right upper corner the is an arrow pointing up on the fire wall as well has the template, this is used to make sure you have the template turned the right way. Simply drill holes into the fire wall, then bolt the stand off brackets to the fire wall. With the dle 30 you will need to pick up some 5mm cap screws and washers from a hardware store to do this. Next is to mount the motor to the stand offs, I ended up having to space the motor out using a couple of washers between the motor and stand off. Now for those who dont know once again loctite is your friend make sure you use it on all machine screws. Now for drilling a holes for the throttle cable and fuel line I drilled a hole from the rear of the firewall forward by eye balling where it needed to be. Now that is done, the next thing i did was mount my throttle servo mount in the fuse. They provide you with a triangular servo mount, I epoxied mine the right of the fuse just before the motor box this way i could have access to it without having to take the cowl off. So far this is where im at in the build hope to get some more done soon.

If anyone has any questions, or is seeing interest in this plane feel free to ask or send me a pm. I can help those out who are looking to make the purchase just shoot me a pm for details.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:41 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Your build looks great.
I'm sure you be able to give us a flight report before too awful long.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:25 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
Looks great. Bring it to Henderson sometime.
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
I will be at Henderson when they do their fly in, in the summer I forget when it is.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:06 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
Probably July 13 & 14
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
Thanks I'll mark that down, that's a pretty fun event.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
finishing things up

Hey guys sorry its been awhile, Im actually done with the build. We were lucky enough to get a nice warm weekend so i had to hurry up and get it done. Im going to go back and update the build, i need to get a few more pics of the finished plane. I did however get to maiden the plane this weekend, managed to get a few flights in sat. and sunday. Had a few issues with the motor sat, this was a used motor out of my other plane that had been sitting for about 6 months. Got most of the kinks worked out, now im still tuning in the plane getting my throws how i want and the cg where i like it. As you can see in the pics my batteries are against the wing tube, i ended up moving them forward about an inch and half. I was tail heavy making the plane very pitchy. So far iv tossed this plane around, trying maneuvers and pushing it some. Now iv got a decent feel for 3d, iv been working a lot on torque rolls. This plane does them almost hands off, pretty impressive for me. Inverted harriers are solid, up right has a slight wing rock nothing too bad, pretty normal. Rolling harriers are easy, i roll to the right and not the best going left this plane is also going to help me to learn to roll to the left as well, they are that easy. Pop tops are super tight, blenders are vicious, they flatten out and spin on point. This plane has pleanty of elevator so walls, waterfalls, knife edge spins are all great!

Im still getting a feel for the plane, hopefully soon i will get a nice calm day and get some videos made up. Once a get the cg dialed in and my throws set i will let everyone know what i have. Overall im pretty happy, i have thrown this airframe through some stress test at high speeds and its still in one piece. Just wish i had some more of the nice weather we had so i can get some more flights in. If anyone wants to see a specific maneuver let me know, Im no pro just a weekend hucker so ill do my best!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:34 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Just got the same yellow MXSR reddeal with DLE35. Thanks for posting this thread. Will be very helpful since i'm a gas novice.
saios is offline Find More Posts by saios
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
Just let me know if u need help with anything. The 35 should be sweet!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
You may want to go with a ball link on your throttle instead of a z bend. With all the vibration there will be more play over time.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Also a Dubro EZ connector works great in many applications, just remember to use thread lock!
saios is offline Find More Posts by saios
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
Over the weekend I re did the throttle push rod with ball link ends I would have done it to start with but I needed a longer push rod.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:33 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
GREAT
I can't wait to read your maiden.
Tim at redwing seems really great to deal with.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
I maiden it a couple of weeks ago, I thought I had mentioned it in my other post. Do far it flies well. I'm still getting it dialed in. Hopefully this weather will break and I can get some videos made.